34: HotHardware's Two and A Half Geeks Webcast - Sept. 12 2011

rated by 0 users
This post has 25 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,804
Points 1,213,235
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Sep 12 2011 9:23 AM
In this latest episode of HotHardware's Two and Half Geeks, Dave, Iyaz and Marco discuss the Asus G74SX 17-inch gaming notebook, our round-up of 3 Terabyte hard drives from Seagate, Western Digital and Hitachi, AMD's upcoming Bulldozer-based Interlagos 16-core server-class processor, the Zotac Zbox Nano AD10 Small Form-Factor PC and details of our Labor System Giveaway contest!

Show Notes:
1:01 - ASUS G74-SX-A1 Gaming Notebook Review
5:01 - AMD Begins Revenue Shipments Of Bulldozer-Based 16-Core "Interlagos" Processors
7:47 - 3TB Hard Drive Round-up: Hitachi, Seagate, WD
12:27 - Zotac Zbox Nano AD10 Small Form-Factor PC Sneak Peek
17:00 - HotHardware's Labor Gaming System Giveaway Sweepstakes details!
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,000
Points 14,435
Manduh replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 11:42 AM

You know what they say about guys with big palms...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,368
Points 48,745
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 11:50 AM

Yeah. Big gloves.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

When do you guys upload these to youtube?? I'm blocked from this video service and can't partake in the big palm goodness.

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 12:18 PM

Palms up & Yes with this webcast ! Even the arguing is funny Smile

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645
omegadraco replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 12:42 PM

Great broadcast, loved the humor... So Marco were you squishing someones head in the beginning of the broadcast because that's what it looked like. Iyaz keep on nitpicking someone has to keep them honest Stick out tongue

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,778
Points 105,195
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 1:07 PM

That Zotac box is compelling. It would be Palm sized for me too. It's a cross that some of us have to bear,.....Smile

It's also good to see some Bulldozer action from the AMD camp. There really IS light at the end of their tunnel folks!

Another great PC offered from HotHardware.com, (business as usual) we really appreciate your efforts guys.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"Great Episode. Things are heating up in the Chip business. Those Bulldozer processor are really worrying Intel. Just today Toms released the Sandy Bridge-E Core i7-3960X Benchmarks along with The X79 Mobo and Quad channel memory. Let me say that this Chip in Multi-threaded applications  is simply INCREDIBLE along with Quad Memory. At the same time , I think its a cut throat move (attempt) by Intel to move interest from Interlagos over to SB-E for the Server/Workstation sector. "

"At the same time though, its hurts its sale for it , because the the 2600K held its own in the majority of the test, Games, Video Encoding Ect. I my eyes, The 1155 is the way to go. Now, for The AMD Zambezi, I think tomorrow will be a very important day, as they will finally announce availability and official pricing, and maybe even NDA will be lifted either tomorrow or within a week so we can finally know if it will live up to the FX branding. I now have doubts , but Im still hopeful, though I think I will purchase a 2700K"

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 419
Points 5,365
FreeJet replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 3:41 PM

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,114
Points 11,290
CDeeter replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 4:06 PM

No, it happens to me also.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,700
Points 55,975
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 4:22 PM

Sorry about that. We've tweaked some settings. Shouldn't happen again. Thanks

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,114
Points 11,290
CDeeter replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 4:29 PM

Thanks, as always you guys are on top of things!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,114
Points 11,290
CDeeter replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 4:31 PM

LOL Beat it with a stick.

Really enjoying the banter between the three of you. Makes it feel more real, and not just some guys droning about stuff. Keep up the great job!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,114
Points 11,290
CDeeter replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 4:33 PM

Sounds like Tuesday or Wednesday we should start to see real numbers for Bulldozer. YEA!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,798
Points 40,665
Inspector replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 4:45 PM

i'll take one of those 16 core chips plz :D. so much fun every time u guys make a video :D

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 4:50 PM

Wheatley:
Things are heating up in the Chip business. Those Bulldozer processor are really worrying Intel. Just today Toms released the Sandy Bridge-E Core i7-3960X Benchmarks along with The X79 Mobo and Quad channel memory.

I don't think it's a sign of desperation; I mean Intel has no idea how Bulldozer will perform exactly like the rest of us and so it's taken a chance and lifted the NDA early just so it can get some of Bulldozer's buzz away from them and towards Sandy Bridge-E; I mean have you seen the interwebs, Bulldozer is on fire!

I'm not with any side at the moment (both AMD or Intel). As I said before, I'm just going to wait for the reviews before making up my purchase, no matter how awesome the technology is. I mean sure, AMD or Intel may be coming out with the most powerful processors ever but I'm not sure if I want to buy into the hype.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,778
Points 105,195
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 6:16 PM

TaylorKarras:
I'm not with any side at the moment (both AMD or Intel). As I said before, I'm just going to wait for the reviews

And that's the smart move. Let the guys with lots of money dance along the leading edge (the bleeding edge) first. Let them find any problems that crop up. Heck,....HotHardware can test it out for us as I see it. I trust their judgement too.

My expectations are not too huge for Bulldozer. The way I see it, all it has to do is be in the Sandy Bridge ballpark as far as performance goes and that will be good enough for me. (as long as it's price is minimal)

We still have to see actual performance figures, and we also have to see where it's all priced at before we can decide what to do.

As for a price,.....did you see this?

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

HarryHenderson:
I don't think it's a sign of desperation; I mean Intel has no idea how Bulldozer will perform exactly like the rest of us and so it's taken a chance and lifted the NDA early just so it can get some of Bulldozer's buzz away from them and towards Sandy Bridge-E; I mean have you seen the interwebs, Bulldozer is on fire!

"Dude, read your comment, that's in a sense what I commented. Desperation might too strong of a word, but worrisome on behalf of Intel is surely. Intel already knows the performance of Bulldozer Zambezi already ,weeks ago. Interlagos, maybe , if in fact AMD had shipped them to OEMs. Interlagos , from what little I know, is the same as Zambezi, but with twice the cores or integers."

HarryHenderson:
I mean sure, AMD or Intel may be coming out with the most powerful processors ever but I'm not sure if I want to buy into the hype.
'"For people who have not bought a new PC in while and are looking to make an investment that will last them years, its very important, The Hype will turn into results very soon enough."

realneil:

As for a price,.....did you see this?

"Yeah, I think those number, if they are real, are most likely wholesale or per 1000 units like Intel does"

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,778
Points 105,195
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 9:01 PM

OptimusPrimeTime:
I think those number, if they are real, are most likely wholesale or per 1000 units like Intel does

They were reported as being on a retail sales site at that amount per unit. I saw it on ZDNET.

OptimusPrimeTime:
Desperation might too strong of a word,

I would bet that Intel has preplanned strategies just waiting in the wings to respond to whatever threat Bulldozer turns out to be to them. They can drop prices on current CPU's, and they can also release new products a little early to counter whatever AMD does.

Don't doubt that the BORG is not prepared.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 9:33 PM

realneil:

I would bet that Intel has preplanned strategies just waiting in the wings to respond to whatever ....

just like Intel  quietly preparing the i7 2700k ..maybe a short -term wedge ?

Any official HH news and insights about the 2700k at this time ?

Thanks HH team for fixing the 'page load timeout'  'cuz tweaks 4 geeks are a good thing Smile

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965
jonation replied on Tue, Sep 13 2011 1:51 AM

Bulldozer! Finally. I second CDeeter. Great cast.

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Tue, Sep 13 2011 2:10 AM

...pending.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Sep 13 2011 2:54 AM

Wheatley:
"For people who have not bought a new PC in while and are looking to make an investment that will last them years, its very important, The Hype will turn into results very soon enough."

Hype does not equal results, development equials results. The hype can go either way, I mean just look at the Pentium D processor; it was hyped to hell and it turned out to be a disappointment on so many levels... Leaving AMD to gain a small share of the processor market at Intel's expense. What went wrong? The deveolpment, Intel thought they could tap out their NetBurst architecture with this series of dual core processors but they proved themselves wrong.

Now depending on the moves AMD is making, they're really confident in Bulldozer. I mean why else would they reintroduce the FX brand back to the masses? That suggests that AMD has a processor that is capable of matching or slightly edging out Intel and with the way they're not focusing primarily on x86 performance and using multiple tasks while playing a graphics intensive game kinda means that AMD has a point to what they're saying, but I'm still remaining modest in my expectations; though regular people will find more of a plus in Bulldozer with the multitasking capabilities.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,778
Points 105,195
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Sep 13 2011 8:59 AM

eunoia:
Probably a Stratocaster

Casting About?   Fancastic!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

HarryHenderson:
The hype can go either way

"Exactly the (my) Point"

HarryHenderson:
. I mean why else would they reintroduce the FX brand back to the masses? That suggests that AMD has a processor that is capable of matching or slightly edging out Intel

"Thats the Hype"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Sep 13 2011 6:26 PM

Wheatley:
"Exactly the (my) Point"

Really. If was the (or your) point then you wouldn't be expecting a fantasy increase of 15-20%.

Wheatley:
"Thats the Hype"

No, that's the confidence. AMD is certain they have a processor that can match Intel's processor's by a small margin and they're making these moves to show AMD's consumers that this is their time, that they've hit their stride. The hype is a byproduct of the stuff they've seen and the expectations they've created based on what they've seen; I mean we've already seen some of how Bulldozer performs right, and we've already seen AMD's recent work ethic in both their APU's and their graphics cards, therefore are expectations for the Bulldozer processor make up the hype.

Apparently what Intel is doing is working based on the confidence that AMD has shown and the hype that Bulldozer has shown. I mean they have some numbers but as you said, they don't know the entire picture. Therefore they had to take a chance, they're a competitor, they'd be worried if they're losing market share to AMD based on Bulldozer's success; and sure, they might have alot of options available if Bulldozer turns out to be more then they bargained for as reilneil said but if Bulldozer is successful then Intel is going to get undercut here... and Intel does not want to get undercut.

Page 1 of 1 (26 items) | RSS