Amazon's Kindle Tablet Sees Biggest Leak Yet: $250, Ships By Christmas

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,111
Points 1,184,040
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Sep 4 2011 9:37 AM
Is the Amazon Tablet truly upon us? So says TechCrunch. While rumors have been running for months on end concerning a future tablet from the same company that delivered the Kindle, no one really had much concrete evidence that such a mystery truly existed until now. The publication has apparently seen, handled and played with the new Kindle Tablet, and oddly enough, Amazon is apparently planning to simply call it the "Amazon Kindle." So, it'll be just another in the long line of Kindle products, but it'll be a far cry from the E Ink editions that are out now.

It'll have a full-color LCD (7"), a capacitive touch layer, and it'll run a very colored version of Android. In fact, we're told that Amazon isn't even working with Google on this project, hence, it looks nothing like any build of Android you've ever seen. And obviously, there's the question of Android Market access; will it have it? Hard to say, but that's probably why Amazon hedged their bets and created their own app store months back.

According to the report, the device looks a lot like RIM's BlackBerry PlayBook, and amazingly, it'll only cost $250. That means that this could very well be the tablet that finally shakes things up for the iPad. Amazon is a trusted name, and that's a tempting price. The device is devoid of any physical buttons, and not surprisingly, the music player is Amazon's own Cloud Player. In fact, Amazon's suite of products are used throughout: Kindle for book reading, Instant Video for videos, and Android Appstore for apps.

As for impressions? We're told that the UI felt "very responsive," and there's no doubt that they've taken a lot of time to put this in the league with the iPad, albeit at a lower price. A few other key points: there's only 6GB of internal storage, as Amazon intends for this to be mostly a cloud device. The initial one will be Wi-Fi only, but there may be 3G models in the future. There's no camera, and speakers are along the top of the device.

Will you consider this over the Nook Color? With Amazon's pedigree, we bet a lot of people will. If all goes well, the new Kindle tablet should ship by Christmas, and boy, what a Christmas Amazon will have.
  • | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
DHiggins replied on Sun, Sep 4 2011 11:17 AM

KIDS won't want it if it has no Camera for Video chat - silly of Amazon to NOT put in a $10 one. This SEEMS to indicate amazon Is Not shooting for a General Purpose Device - Who wants to buy SEVERAL Tablets - The GP Device that can do light surfing Facebook and email along with WHATEVER Distribution Platform that the seller wants to Promote for THEIR purposes -will be the One that WINS.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 385
Points 3,845

Refurbed NOOK Color is only $170 and easily rooted to run CynaogenMOD full-blown Android. Sorry, Amazon, you lose.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sun, Sep 4 2011 7:15 PM

I'm not sure many people would even know or even risk rooting their device just to save $80.

Anyway; I haven't been catching up with what has been happening with the Amazon Kindle tablet but from what I've read, it does sound juicy and it does sound like it'll be a competitor to the iPad and well; will truly start up competition in this tablet market. I mean with a brand name like Amazon behind this tablet and with the features behind this tablet, I'm sure this'll make other tablet manufacturers rethink how to make tablets if this is successful.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,623
Points 103,925
MembershipAdministrator
Maybe it will have an impact on other Tablet offerings. Who knows whether Amazon's clout and App store will make a difference in the market. If it means lower prices overall, then I'm on board with it.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35
RHolland replied on Sun, Sep 4 2011 11:09 PM

$250 is too high - if the Amazon tablet is expected to compete with the iPad, it needs to be more in the $100 range - just look at the HP TouchPad for evidence.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,695
JDiaz replied on Tue, Sep 6 2011 12:45 AM

HP TouchPad fire sale is unrealistic for any company to use for anything but getting rid of stock they can't sell otherwise.

Right now it depends what the new Kindle tablet will finally offer and how good the user experience will be as to whether it is worth the price but as is it's rumored that they are selling it for 15-25% below actual cost, which is way better pricing than any other tablet on the market right now that isn't discontinued.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Yeah..Its too expensive..I saw it at Amazon...

Too much expensive :(

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS