ASUS G74-SX-A1 Notebook Reviewed, Tested and Burned In

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,873
Points 1,172,830
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Sep 2 2011 12:24 AM
ASUS’ line of G73 Stealth notebooks proved to be all-around solid desktop replacements, equally ideal for gaming, multimedia, and productivity. In fact, the Asus G53 and G73 line, from Asus' Repulic of Gamers (ROG) family, has been very successful in the market, praised by press and end users alike. We took a look at the previous generation 17-inch G73SW not long ago and it earned high marks with us HH as well. This class of machine is definitely bulky however, though not that many gamers would mind. Now, the G73 is being phased out in favor of the ASUS G74 series, the next step forward for the company’s family of desktop replacement notebooks.

We took a long hard look at the ASUS ROG G74SX-A1, which features a second-generation Intel Core i7-2360QM CPU, an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M for graphics firepower, and 12GB of DDR3-1333 RAM.

• | Post Points: 140
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 526
Points 4,840

And still not worth upgrading from my G73jh it seems. Mine has a custom bios and video rom, with the video OC'ed a good bit. Shocking that the jh actually needs the video card to be OC'ed at least 5Mhz to be stable.

• | Post Points: 0
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,089
Points 11,030
CDeeter replied on Fri, Sep 2 2011 3:59 PM

I hope they adopt this as their new design going forward and not just for this model. I really like the angles and textures they used. No glossy plastic to pick up finger prints. Plus soft rounded edges are getting old, time to move on. The exhaust vents are finally in the right place too.

Btw is that a matte screen?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

To me this is the ultimate Laptop, I trust Asus cause I know they make the best motherboard so you know the foundation is solid and everything else should fall into place.

I was impressed by the battery life as this is no slouch of a laptop we are talking desktop replacement here.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Fri, Sep 2 2011 10:19 PM

Sure like the way this one looks with the matte keyboard finish along with the hardware selection for gaming desktop replacement, laptop .I do not find it to be too bulky at all.Not all the concerned about some of the scores being a bit 'odd' maybe due to driver differences [likely] as mentioned in the review,Looks like good quality hardware selection with updated cooling and decent battery life .nice bundle included as well .I like it..A bit disappointed on adequate audio so would like to actually hear one of these to decide.Good solid review !

Thanks

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

• | Post Points: 0
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,200
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Sep 2 2011 10:56 PM

No desktop killer, but a solid travel companion no doubt.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

@ reilneil yea no desktop killer that's a bit much, but a good desktop replacement for those who want more gaming prowess than a tablet can offer.

Again for a laptop this would be my top choice.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 3,015

i finally chose this as my travel pc but bought the $1000. dollar model and installed a ssd and added more ram on my own because thats half the fun for me.

the ability to upgrade the machine is what sold me.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Sat, Sep 3 2011 4:00 PM

this laptop would likely be on pretty short list for some desktop like performance on the go. would really appreciate the 17" screen quality

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

realneil:

No desktop killer, but a solid travel companion no doubt.

"Haha, yeah,it wont kill Red Fred, but it definitely beats out a lot of desktops that are out there, this bad boy has a lot of horsepower indeed."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,200
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Sep 5 2011 11:22 AM

It seems to me that ASUS has a feel for what people want. Their entire product line is full of much better that average offerings. My ASUS GTX570 is a solid performer and runs cool too. My ASUS DVD Burners are reliable and I have yet to try any blank media that doesn't work in them. My 27" ASUS Flat panel has an exceptional picture, and I plan to buy more of them when I'm rich and famous.

Almost everyone agrees that ASUS Motherboards are of top notch quality, with all of the latest technology built into them.

They know what people want and they build that at reasonable prices.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30

Just bought the HP Pavilion DV7-5004-T. Has similar specs, & Bluray R-W, but did not get the 1080 option. Has similar overheating problems to my other HP Desktop replacements, but got it at a good price. Miss USB3, card-in slot, but got the eSATA.

The HP screen has poor angled viewing, so of the 24+ models over the last several years, I understand why you did not dare compare these foreign models against the USA brandname.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
BSmith replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 12:16 PM

One of the recent updates prevented Windows from communicating with the NVIDIA driver. Rolling back the driver did not work. Attempting to restore Windows to a previous update resulted in error messages. The only option was to create re-install discs and completely wipe the hard drive and re-install back to factory settings. Even creating the re-install discs took numerous attempts due to various error messages. Also, the 1 TB hard drive is composed of two 500s. Be prepared to remove one of these for this computer to accept your recovery disc.

Up until this point, it has been a phenominal machine. But at six months old, simple system updates should not cause unfixable problems such as this one. I would be very interested to know if anybody else has had a similar issue with this specific laptop.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS