Motherboard won't post

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 200
grendel61 Posted: Sun, Aug 28 2011 5:46 PM

Hey guys:

Am building a new comp using as ASUS P8Z68-V pro board.  Everything appears to be hooked up correctly but when powered on, cpu light on board flashes red....case fans come one, wireless network card starts flashing green.  Neither hdd nor dvd drive appears to be firing up.  Am using Kingston memory sticks and per mobo manual, theyre not listed as "supported"...could the memory sticks be causing the mobo NOT to post?  The MEMOK button, when pushed, indicates flashing red light as well.

thanks for any help.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,775
Points 105,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Aug 28 2011 7:31 PM

We need more information from you.

What CPU?

What Power supply? (important)

Exactly what memory is it?

What video card?

Full system specs please.

Thanks

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 200
grendel61 replied on Sun, Aug 28 2011 8:28 PM

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3X1K2/8GX

COOLER MASTER GX Series RS650-ACAAE3-US 650W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

ASUS PCE-N13 Wireless Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g/n PCI Express 150/300Mbps Transfer/Receive Rate 64-bit/128-bit WEP, TKIP, and AES WI-Fi alliance WPA, WPA2

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

XFX HD-695X-CDFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Sun, Aug 28 2011 10:20 PM

grendel61:

Am building a new comp using as ASUS P8Z68-V pro board.  Everything appears to be hooked up correctly but when powered on, cpu light on board flashes red....case fans come one, wireless network card starts flashing green.  Neither hdd nor dvd drive appears to be firing up.  Am using Kingston memory sticks and per mobo manual, theyre not listed as "supported"...could the memory sticks be causing the mobo NOT to post?  The MEMOK button, when pushed, indicates flashing red light as well.

hi grendel61 thanks for getting back with the specs

hi the red light  is cpu related ,unplug the rig  >check the cpu installation look at the socket for possible bent pins > hope you do not have any & reapply TIM. & reinatll cpu cooler.place the mem stick in slot 1 & 3 . check the manual to do a full reset of bios..If you do post load the defaults.Since you mentioned the case fans spinning was the cpu cooler fan spinning ? what cooler by the way ?Might as well check the Asus website for the latest bios revision.and download it.

See manual for Clear RTC Ram (3 pin CLRTC) Section  2.2.7 jumper in manual

Just asking and hope you do not mind...you did not have the power cable connected when installing mem and hardware ? if so you would need to clear the bios.

these are more likely to be the error rather than an incompatibility of memory with those HyperX sticks.

Welcome to HH & it sound like a nice rig

let us know how it goes

***edit note added Clear RTC 3 Pin  manual info

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 200
grendel61 replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 7:25 AM

I think the pins are fine...I'll check them again but have had the cpu out twice now to ensure its seated properly, etc....they looked fine then but I'll give it another look.  CPU cooler is stock and came with the processor.

Manual says memory to go in slots 2 & 4...have tried booting with one stick in slot 1....same problem

I've previously cleared  RTC per manual.  Power cable was not connected when installing anyting.  How do I clear bios if board won't post?  Never had this problem in building rigs before so sorry for the noob question.  Ditto on downloading latest bios from ASUS if board wont post....

Thanks for the help thus far...we'll all get there...eventually.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,775
Points 105,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 7:35 AM

Assuming that you have plugged in the 4 or 8 pin power connection on the top left side of the board? (also assume that you have supplied power to both power plugs on the video card)

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Do the 'clear BIOS procedure' ~with and without~ power applied. (the reset button in the photo) It works without power to the board.

If it's not working now, then check to see that there are no ~extra~ brass motherboard stand-off/mounting hardware under the board where there are no holes. (possibly grounding or shorting out something that shouldn't be)

Try with out any extra gear on the system. Take the wireless network card out temporarily, remove the video card and try the onboard graphics instead. Unplug the hard drives and anything else that could possibly keep it from posting.

If, at this point the system still fails to boot, take the mainboard out of the case and try to boot it up on the bench. (making sure it's not on a conductive surface)

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 200
grendel61 replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 8:17 AM

My psu has two 4-pin connectors for the 8-pin connector at the top of the board...they're plugged in.  I'll try the clear bios via the reset button both with and without power (have previously done with power, will try again).

Case, a thermaltake, only takes 3 standoffs...the rest of the mounting holes are what I call the "puckered" or raised holes that dont require standoffs (and couldnt use them on those holes as it would bend the motherboard).

Have booted it bare i.e., with nothing hooked up but memory installed...same problem.

Havent tried booting the board after removal from the case....guess I'll try that, after checking cpu pins while i'm at it....if it DOES post i.e., the cpu light stops flashing red and presumably shows green, what then?  Whats the solution from that scenario?

I do appreciate all your help guys.  this isn't my first build but it is the most exasperating of the bunch.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,775
Points 105,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 8:30 AM

Is the PSU new, or is it reused from another system?

grendel61:
Havent tried booting the board after removal from the case....guess I'll try that, after checking cpu pins while i'm at it....if it DOES post i.e., the cpu light stops flashing red and presumably shows green, what then?  Whats the solution from that scenario?

If it boots out of the case, then you know that it's not the board, CPU or Memory. It's a process of elimination and if it will not boot on the bench, send it (the board) back for replacement.

grendel61:
this isn't my first build but it is the most exasperating of the bunch.

Been building for many years, and there's always a problem child that crops up every now and then. As long as you learn more from crap like this, then it's OK. (once it's working)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 8:36 AM

Thanks for getting back ..some folks also had the same cpu light [red] flashing only to find out some of the pins were bent ,and RMA'd the board

look at the power Q connector.. did the cpu fan ever spin up. ?Does it look ike those 'puckered' mounting hole on the thermaltake chassis can take a standoff ? should you get it to post.Might have to get some stand-offs. The 3 you mentioned does not sound right. anyhow

.Can almost feel your frustration ! hang in there .& keep us updated.

*** Edit Note: this post in the que same time as the above post but will leave it the way it is .Good comment @realmeil RE: the PSU and process of elimination

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,775
Points 105,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 9:00 AM

rrplay:
Good comment @realmeil RE: the PSU

You already know, as I do, that a good PSU is the cornerstone for a properly functioning Computer. If it's screwed up, (even a tiny bit) it can play havoc with your PC experience. The whole computer system is dependent on steady, clean power for it to work properly, so I believe that  a Power Supply Unit is the most important decision you'll make when planning a build.

I only buy SeaSonic brand PSU's. I've found them to be the very best. But, I have to say that CoolerMaster PSU's are of good quality. I have one here that's been plugging along for 5 years so far. I also keep a few properly functioning PSU's around and on the shelf to help me eliminate ~PSU as the problem~ when I'm diagnosing systems here at home.

rrplay:
Does it look ike those 'puckered' mounting hole on the thermaltake chassis can take a standoff ?

I've had cases with them inside. They take the place of a stand-off, and they are in all of the locations that will work with any motherboard. They are exactly the same height as a brass stand-off. They are not the problem.

It's beginning to sound like a mainboard problem, but too soon to say for sure. RMA's are a big PITA. (hopefully, he got the parts from somewhere like NewEgg, where an RMA goes fast)

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 200
grendel61 replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 10:13 AM

Yeah, cpu fan did spin up eventually after i figured out that the wiring around the fan was restricting the fan blades.  The case has standoffs in the holes that aren't raised....standoffs in those holes, and no others, keeps the board flat.  If you put them in all the holes, the board would be warped or bent...just wont work and its my understanding that this, and many other brand cases, are built this way now.

Keep the ideas coming...something will work or Newegg will get this board back.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 200
grendel61 replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 10:14 AM

New power supply ...gonna try to boot board out of case in a bit and see what happens.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 10:39 AM

oh yeah thanks for mentioning regarding the stand offs  oops & duh  got it ! and that may not be the problem.

It might be a good idea to check those cpu pins very carefully because other have had this with this board .>>> good to know you have another PSU to check it out with .

On the bright side you did get the mobo from Newegg

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,775
Points 105,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 10:40 AM

grendel61:
The case has standoffs in the holes that aren't raised....standoffs in those holes, and no others, keeps the board flat.  If you put them in all the holes, the board would be warped or bent...just wont work and its my understanding that this, and many other brand cases, are built this way now.

I understand about the raised holes. I've had a few cases that had them. None of them will be in a place that will screw up your board, so that's good. It's a good idea that saves the manufacturers a little money and works perfectly.

Good that it's a new power supply and it's a decent brand too. You DID have the PCI-E Video card powered properly? (sorry, some of these questions may seem to be a little juvenile to you, but I should be asking them)

Do you have access to another known good system that you can put some of these suspect parts into to test them out one by one?

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 200
grendel61 replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 1:17 PM

yeah, the fans on the graphics card spun too...didn't mention that earlier...both 4 pin power cables connected to graphics card.

gonna try all the suggestions above and see where we end up.  I'll be back on later to let you know what I find out.

Thanks again for everyone's input.  No suggestion is juvenile...sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 200
grendel61 replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 1:47 PM

Okay, did virtually everything suggested above including resetting bios, cmos, etc.  Took mobo out of case and tried to power it up only (with ram in place)...still red flashing cpu led.  Took cpu cooler off, removed cpu....pins all look okay to me (although very tiny....had 3 pair of reading glasses on to inspect them...should've taken a picture of that to be the photo associated with my account :)  )...anywho, checked the processor as well....shouldn't the entire bottom surface be gold?  I've got a couple of light brown streaks making me think I've got a fried processor.

Help.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,775
Points 105,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 2:11 PM

grendel61:
shouldn't the entire bottom surface be gold?

Yes,...........*crap* are there corresponding matching brown streaks in the same position on the motherboard's socket?

grendel61:
I've got a couple of light brown streaks making me think I've got a fried processor.

That doesn't sound good. Do you have a number 2 pencil? use the eraser to ~lightly~ try to buff that crap off of the CPU. Then try the system out on the bench one more time.

Fried CPU's are a rare occurrence. But it's something that happens every now and then. (never to me so far, knock on wood)

If I were you, I would call Newegg and get an RMA for both the CPU and Mainboard.

Check the pins on that new Power Supply Unit to see if any of them are scorched. Check where it plugs into the mainboard. Check every single plug and socket for scorching. Use magnification and a bright light so you can see it well.

If the PSU is somehow bad, it could wipe out your new equipment when you rebuild.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 2:38 PM

realneil:

grendel61:
shouldn't the entire bottom surface be gold?

Yes,...........*crap* are there corresponding matching brown streaks in the same position on the motherboard's socket?

grendel61:
I've got a couple of light brown streaks making me think I've got a fried processor.

That doesn't sound good. Do you have a number 2 pencil? use the eraser to ~lightly~ try to buff that crap off of the CPU. Then try the system out on the bench one more time.

If I were you, I would call Newegg and get an RMA for both the CPU and Mainboard.

Check the pins on that new Power Supply Unit to see if any of them are scorched. Check where it plugs into the mainboard. Check every single plug and socket for scorching. Use magnification and a bright light so you can see it well.

If the PSU is somehow bad, it could wipe out your new equipment when you rebuild.

Really sorry to hear about that grendel61 happened to spot a reliable thread elsewhere early on with your original post and some actually experienced the fugly red-brown color on the cpu or rows of pins bent.hopefully all will go smoothly with the RMA s necessary at NewEgg  .others have had similar problems with out any indication of socket burn and have not been able to post with the same board with the cpu  errors..

& head the advice from @realneil regarding the pins on ALL the PSU cables sockets etc ALL of them

Take your time & take a break >>sh^t happens to the best of us.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 200
grendel61 replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 2:50 PM

Ah, whats the old Hee Haw song?  "If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all, doom despair and agony on meeeee!"

I appreciate the input guys, really.  What are the chances the cpu is fried but the mobo is fine?  It LOOKS okay where the cpu was seated....no brown marks, etc.  Back of the board looks good too.  Maybe be safe and try to RMA both with Newegg....have a feeling it was the mobo to begin with.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 200
grendel61 replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 2:56 PM

In looking really, really closely, there is a pattern of discoloration on the mobo pins that matches the discoloration on the cpu...so both are shot, apparently.  Does look like theres a pin or two that may be bent...can that cause this kind of problem?  I honestly dont know what, if anything, I did to cause the problem...I'm sure I'll hear about it from newegg when I go to RMA both.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,775
Points 105,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 3:36 PM

Return them both, & make sure that when you return the mainboard,.......it has the plastic protector in place on the mainboard socket. Just the way it was in the box. (they'll look for that)

NewEgg is usually easy to deal with when it's time to RMA parts. All that you tell them is that it doesn't work. You don't know why not. leave it at that. They'll send you new stuff quickly and you can build again.

Something to note, you should find a way to test that PSU out before you connect it to nice new equipment. If it was the reason you had problems, it will just do it again. HINT: Newegg sells PSU testers for not a lot of money.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 3:46 PM

grendel61:

In looking really, really closely, there is a pattern of discoloration on the mobo pins that matches the discoloration on the cpu...so both are shot, apparently.  Does look like theres a pin or two that may be bent...can that cause this kind of problem?  I honestly dont know what, if anything, I did to cause the problem...I'm sure I'll hear about it from newegg when I go to RMA both.

Yes ! just like previously mentioned 'others have experienced the same problem with bent pins discoloration 'burn' on socket and cpu '

>>sure hope you have the plastic connector for the main board &

good luck with the RMA on both

Page 1 of 1 (22 items) | RSS