AMD 990FX Motherboard Round-Up: Asus, ASRock, Gigabyte

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,411
Points 1,192,970
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Aug 24 2011 10:50 AM

AMD 990FX Mobo Round-Up: Asus, ASRock, GigabyteWith AMD’s FX-Series process due to arrive sometime in the not too distant future, we thought it was a good time to check out a few high-end 990FX-based motherboards. We want to give you prospective AMD buyers a glimpse at some ‘boards designed with the FX-Series in mind. The ASUS CrossHair V Formula, ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional, and Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 we'll be looking at here all offer official support for upcoming 8-Core AMD FX-Series processors and a whole lot more...

AMD 990FX Motherboard Round-Up: Asus, ASRock, Gigabyte

• | Post Points: 125
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,695
Points 104,425
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Aug 24 2011 12:01 PM

This is cool. Bulldozer is ~really~ gonna pop soon.

I like that the performance of the ASRock board stayed so close to the ASUS. The fact that it has more features for less money has me sold. I may just buy one of them soon, and keep it on the shelf for when Bulldozer is here.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

I wish AMD all the best hopefully they bounce back this round.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"Nice round-up Marco. But I cant agree with the conclusion, I feel that the Asrock board should have been the editors choice. First of of all, it has more features as you mentioned, like Firewire, dual-Gigabit LAN, and a front-mountable USB 3.0 panel. Second , it cost less. Third, it came out on top, in four of the test. The only thing I dont like is John's face in the bios."

"A request that I have for a future special report or article,that either you or Joel can hopefully take on is, Dual Gigabit lan. what are the advantages of this and how does it perform versus a standard gigabit lan , especially in gaming and in a workstation environment."

"One thing I noted, when Bulldozer arrives, the RAM specifications will change to native 1866 instead of 1800(OC)"

-Optimus

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,361
Points 48,680
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Wed, Aug 24 2011 1:07 PM

@Optimus - I hear your points, but the more refined UEFI utility, Intel LAN controller, overall layout and configuration of the Asus board, plus the easy to use OC tools give the the edge for me. I put less stock in Firewire (I never use it) and dual gigabit LAN.

As for the perf of dual gigabit LAN, I'm sure we can work up some benchmarks that show a bandwidth advantage, but for gaming and real-world perf. it's not going to be noticable. It won't have an impact on pings in-game, etc.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

Marco C:
@Optimus - I hear your points, but the more refined UEFI utility, Intel LAN controller, overall layout and configuration of the Asus board, plus the easy to use OC tools give the the edge for me. I put less stock in Firewire (I never use it) and dual gigabit LAN.

"OK, The Intel Lan is better quality, Firewire I will never use, Dual Lan, maybe. The OC tools wasn't mentioned or expanded in the "Bios Comparo and Overclocking" but Asrock has a neat Auto OC feature that people love. Also, the Asrock board supports 4 Way Sli and 4 Way Crossfire, the Asus only supports 3 Way of both. Which brings me to this Question : Even though the GTX 590 and AMD 6990 are dual GPUs in one and are internally SLI'ed and Crossfired, is the Asus Crosshair V limited to only handle one 590 or one 6990?'

-Optimus

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 80

USB 2.o :(

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,361
Points 48,680
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Wed, Aug 24 2011 2:39 PM

Not at all. 3-way vs. 4-way means it can physically fit 3 or 4 cards.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

Marco C:

Not at all. 3-way vs. 4-way means it can physically fit 3 or 4 cards.

"Thanks for clearing that up for me"

Marco C:
As for the perf of dual gigabit LAN, I'm sure we can work up some benchmarks that show a bandwidth advantage, but for gaming and real-world perf. it's not going to be noticable. It won't have an impact on pings in-game, etc

"That would be great, I have always been curious about Dual Lan"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,695
Points 104,425
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Aug 25 2011 7:34 AM

OptimusPrimeTime:
Firewire I will never use,

One thing that Firewire does that I really like is that you can Daisy-Chain several drives together with only one initial connection to your PC and they'll be seen, and work. A guy that I knew in California produced films for owners of racehorses, about their horses. (something to do with attracting investors) He had a Mac Pro with 6 external Firewire 800 drives all plugged into one another and only one connection to the PC. All of them worked and all ran at full speed. He could use any combination of them at the same time and had no problems with losing data.

So I ended up buying three of them and using them on my IBM clone. (EDIT: After adding a Firewire adapter card to my system) Same result, all of them worked without a hitch. Firewire's speeds have been eclipsed by USB 3.0 and E-SATA since then, but at the time, it was the fastest game in town.

Firewire works, and I'm surprised that it never saw any better adaptation by consumers than it did. I still have one of those (now old) drives and it still works.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
SFree replied on Thu, Aug 25 2011 4:00 PM

gigabyte and msi should really exit the 19th century. UEFI should be standard by now. who the hell wants to use a non-intuitive old school tandy 1000 type interface anymore? I miss ABIT and all the others that shut down. They would always push for new tech to be standard.

Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 960

I'm currently using a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.02GHz

My friend said I won't see any performance boost from upgrading to a Bulldozer

Is he right? any suggestions?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,695
Points 104,425
MembershipAdministrator

JuicyFruitSweeT:
My friend said I won't see any performance boost from upgrading to a Bulldozer,...Is he right? any suggestions?

As of right now, probably not enough benefit to make it worth the costs involved. It's sad, but he's right at this point.

AMD is coming out with a new and improved chipset for their mainboards soon, many are waiting to see if it somehow unlocks more performance from Bulldozer CPU's, but it's by no means a sure bet that it will happen like that.

Either way, save your money up and if AMD doesn't bear fruit, maybe an Intel system will brighten your future. It's already a known fact that they'll be ~very~ fast performers.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 960

This motherboard looks badass I gotta admit
You know I have one and I love it so much :)
Actually my first gaming motherboard....

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Thu, Dec 15 2011 2:18 AM

Thank you. that cleared up a lot of my confusion on what mother board would support the Fx processor i bought. this is really useful for me to know and thought its not always the most interesting hothardware has done its job.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS