New build. First time building. Feedback appreciated!

rated by 0 users
This post has 24 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 240
ASundgren Posted: Sat, Aug 6 2011 7:54 PM

Hey!

I've put together some components that I think will work quite nicely, but I would really like some feedback. And as this is my first time actually building the setup myself, any tips would be very welcome.

I already got the following parts which I don't plan on changing:

Chassi: NZXT Phantom White

PSU: Zalman 1000-HP - 1000w (http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Pr...ad.asp?idx=282)

HDD's: 2x WD Caviar Black 500GB, 1x WD Caviar Green 2TB.

Optical: Samsung DVD burner

So to the new stuff. Since I live in Sweden, I'm posting my list of components from a Swedish retailer, but the name of the components are the same.

http://www.komplett.se/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=958869&su=BD119113-07D3-4296-B368-123DD1761E0D

Typing them below for convience.

Processor: Intel i7 2600K

CPU-cooler: Antec Kuhler H2O 620

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe

Memory: Corsair Vengeance™ DDR3 1600MHz 16GB CL9

SSD: Crucial m4 SSD 2,5" 256GB

Graphics: ASUS GeForce GTX 590

I'd appreciate any feedback I can get!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Sun, Aug 7 2011 5:22 AM

Hi and welcome

looks pretty solid so far with the hardware you have already selected ,>>just wanted to comment on the choice of the Antec 620 cpu cooler that you selected.

I have this cooler it works really well and is very quiet

the pre-applied thermal paste is ShinEtsu X23-7868-2D. which  is very very good .

you may want to look into the Cooler Master Hyper 612 PWM CPU Cooler which will likely out perform the 620 and is also very quiet with the PWM fans esp with an OC !  >> about 49.00 US retail & the install is  breeze.

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3049

Even though I may have mentioned a CPU cooler that may not be available from the particular retailer you mentioned you may able to find it from another.It's new and they may be getting it in soon. Also  is a bit less expensive than the Antec 620

If you do not plan to OC the i7 2600K then stick with the Antec Kuhler 620

just a thought & let  us know how it's going.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 240

Hey and thanks!

I see what you mean. However I can't help but think that the Antec 620 (or similar closed water system) is preferable to me instead of a big heavy air cooler sitting in the middle of everything. At least that is my opinion.

Plus like you said it doesn't seem to be avaible in the retailer I've mentioned (nor a couple of others here), yet anyway.

You don't think one can overclock with the Antec 620? From what I've read in reviews etc, it seem to pretty decent. I'm not planning on something extreme, since it will be my first time I'll take it easy.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Sun, Aug 7 2011 8:31 AM

ASundgren:

You don't think one can overclock with the Antec 620? From what I've read in reviews etc, it seem to pretty decent. I'm not planning on something extreme, since it will be my first time I'll take it easy.

hey thanks for getting back.I actually do have & OC with an Antec kuhler 620 [pretty familiar with it see this forum elsewhere] and it works extremely  well. For my particular setup

.however after seeing some actual test s of the above mentioned CM 612PWM cooler it performs actually noticeably  better than the Antec 620 with a rather higher  OC ..

since you mentioned you are  going to "take it easy' = >> get the Antec 620

So sticking with the Asetec/Antec types you will not have a problem with ram heatsinks clearance. and from what you mentioned about OC ing your i7 2600K you are likely to be using a modest OC for 24/7 use that's 'performance -tuned'  ...very cool and stable.with the Antec 620.& enjoy the cool 'n quiet.Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 240
ASundgren replied on Sun, Aug 7 2011 12:36 PM

Antec 620 it is then!

Thanks for the feedback rrplay!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"You have a great setup, the only thing I can add , is to buy another fan for a push pull configuration to shave some extra degrees. For Sandy Bridge Chips, the 620 is more than enough if you want to take it to 4.8, as I seen websites reviewers and Boutique builders overclock the 2600K on cheaper air coolers to those overclocked speeds. Enjoy your kick ass rig!"

-Optimus  

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Sun, Aug 7 2011 2:58 PM

@A Sundgren  you can always swap out a fan later if you want & have a lot of flexibility with the NZXT Phantom chassis.

yep that sure is going to be a kick-ass rig ! that's .totally sweet and quiet too !.

would really like to see a pic or 2 when you have it built and if you have any questions  problems performance-tuning  let us know..

Thanks A Sundgren

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 240

@Optimus - Thanks! You make a good point there, I'll make sure to pop in another fan.

@rrplay - I'll make sure to put up some pictures when it's time to build. I'm gonna try and order later the coming week.

And thank you for the help, I really appreciate it!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"Glad to help, like RRplay mentioned, hope to see the some pics when its finally done, oh. and what games are you gonna be playing?

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 240

Well in the coming months there's loads to look forward to! First and foremost for me it's Battlefield 3 and then Skyrim.

But then I hope to catch up on some titles that I haven't been able to play yet, like Metro 2033 and Crysis 2. I also look forward to trying out Shogun 2 in DX11, it looks awesome with my current rig so I can't wait to try that out.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Tue, Aug 9 2011 8:21 AM

ASundgren:

Well in the coming months there's loads to look forward to! First and foremost for me it's Battlefield 3 and then Skyrim...

hey thanks for getting back & I am with you on those 2 titles and would like to try them as well ,,

by the way what type of screen setup do you have ?

hope you do get back with some pics of that build so we can all drool  some more .

thanks

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 240

At the moment I got a single 3 yr old Samsung 2493HM 24". But I was planning on getting a new 120Hz screen later this year but I'm not sure which one to get. Sort of waiting for the new Samsung 23"/27" 120Hz screens to show up but there doesn't seem to be any info out on when.

And those pics might take a while since there seem to be some issues with the delivery of the GTX 590's. The one I was planning to order had apparently been postponed until the 1 october. So I'm looking into some other brands atm. Zotacs seem to be the one to come in first. But I don't know much about Zotac though.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,215
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Aug 9 2011 10:40 AM

ASundgren:
But I don't know much about Zotac

I've had no good experience with them yet. (bought two cards from them, and returned them both)

ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte, MSI, and XFX are my favorite brands. (never had a problem with any of them)

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 240

Hey Neil!

Thanks for your input! Something I wonder though is how much they've really done with the 590 since it seem to be identical to the Nvida reference. So does it matter in this case which brand you choose?

And while I would prefer to get the Asus card, I don't really want to wait until the 1st of october.. The retailer which I'm buying all the parts from is getting some Gigabyte 590's in on the 17 of august. But that is 46$ more than the Zotac and 120$(!) than the Asus. I've looked at some other retailers but none of them have a date set for when they'll get the cards (Cuz no retailer got any 590's what-so-ever). Would you say that it would really be worth it to get the Gigabyte instead?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,215
MembershipAdministrator

ASundgren:
So does it matter in this case which brand you choose?

Always,.....

ASundgren:
Would you say that it would really be worth it to get the Gigabyte instead?

Yes, instead of the Zotac, any day.

Question, Why do you need two 590's for that system? I could see pairing two 580's in a system, but the 590 all by itself is a beast of a video card. You may want to consider buying just one of them to see if it fits your needs, and adding the other one later, if it does not.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 240

Hey!

Thanks for answering. First of I'm not going for 2x 590's, just ONE :)

At the moment I'm looking into another retailer that still had a Asus card left. But if that doesn't work out I'll go for the Gigabyte one. I guess I'll have a mouse in reserve then.

Thanks again Neil!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,215
MembershipAdministrator

ASundgren:
First of I'm not going for 2x 590's, just ONE

Sorry, I misread it.

My son just got the EVGA 590 and he loves it. He says it turned his PC into a Ferrari. It took him a while to find his 590 here in the US because they sell out so fast once they're in stock.

Please post some Pics once the system is complete,......take care,......

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Aug 11 2011 12:27 AM

Hey ASundgren! Your build is looking pretty nice.

I do have some concerns about the GTX 590 though. I'm not sure if you'll overclock or not but the GTX 590 is limited by poor VRM's on the reference card. Newer cards won't blow up your computer but you won't be able to overclock the card as much as you'd want. It's severely down clocked from a GTX 580 in order to keep power within specs; by comparison, the Radeon HD 6990 is able to run at the highest clocks but you'll have to suffer loud noise as a downside.

Either way, I'm not recommending one card over the other; it all comes down to choice.

Good luck and I really hope you post pics of the build.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 240
ASundgren replied on Thu, Aug 11 2011 11:31 AM

Hey TaylorKarras!

Thanks for you input on the matter. I'm aware of some of the cons with the 590, but I'm not planning on overclocking it. At least not in the near future. The Radeon card was never really a choice for me due to some previous negative experiences with Radeon cards. Both that friends and myself have had.

I might get some pictures up this weekend if the rest of the stuff comes. Got the 590 today so hopefully the rest will come tomorrow.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Thu, Aug 11 2011 11:54 AM

ASundgren:

... get some pictures up this weekend if the rest of the stuff comes. Got the 590 today so hopefully the rest will come tomorrow.

hey ASundgren really glad you got it worked out ! I take you got the GB 590 which is sure to be a really smooth experience ....

speaking of a smooth experience your visit to HH greatly enhanced the community with your build .Yes

What would even enhance the overall experience even more  and to the absolute MAX would be to include some pics of this sweet build of yours

>> Your Smiling Happy Face is optional Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Aug 12 2011 10:17 AM

ASundgren:
The Radeon card was never really a choice for me due to some previous negative experiences with Radeon cards.

Sad to hear that you've had such a bad experience with them. I've had a 4890 for like most of my system's lifetime and while it does run hot and consume a lot of power, it just seems to chug along and work.

I am dying to upgrade to an NVIDIA card, but mainly because of the fact that I can apply SSAA on transparent textures in DX11 games; the ATI cards do have the edge in video quality and I'm sure that I can get the same type of quality effect with the SSAATool but I don't think it'll be the same as the NVIDIA cards; plus I am kinda envious towards trying SLI (may try Crossfire due to the drivers improving performance significantly but only if I can find a way to apply SSAA in DX11 games.)

Anyway, hope you like the GTX 590 you bought; should do wonders for your system.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

ASundgren:
Well in the coming months there's loads to look forward to! First and foremost for me it's Battlefield 3 and then Skyrim.

"Same here, Mostly for BF3 and MW3. I'm upgrading at the end of September though, when Bulldozer debuts, to see how it compares to Sandy bridge. For the card, Im thinking the Asus Matrix GTX 580, I dont think the AMD 7000 series will come out this year, and Im not buiying a 30 Inch monitor yet, so I will be sticking to one card and not Sli, so the Asus card has the juice that I need."

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Sat, Sep 24 2011 11:49 AM

just wanted to 'bump' this thread a bit and see if A Sundgren will post some pics in here with the build. which did come about quite nice.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Sat, Sep 24 2011 11:08 PM

...pending.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Sat, Sep 24 2011 11:31 PM

eunoia:

We give so much, yet we ask so little! :D

yeah how true that is my friend ..apparently some wiring issues need to be solved , and likely would not have been missed here . ..oh well

Page 1 of 1 (25 items) | RSS