Nissan's Leaf Could Power Your Home

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,339
Points 1,191,155
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Aug 6 2011 2:17 AM
What if your car could power your home? Wait, what? It's true -- Nissan is reportedly saying that their Leaf electric card can actually feed power from its battery pack back into a home, with plenty of juice to run appliances. The new project is called Leaf to Home, and it uses Li-ion batteries as emergency backup for homes. According to Nissan, this functionality would prove most useful if a home were hit by a natural disaster or power outage, and we certainly could see it going over quite well with prospective buyers.

According to the company, plans are in motion to commercialize the tech by March of 2012. If you're wondering how it works, here's what we know so far. There's a quick-charge port that links the car to a home's electricity grid, and power can also be fed the other way if the home's loaded down with solar panels.

The Leaf's batteries have a capacity of 24 kilowatt hours when fully charged, which is about what an average Japanese family uses in two days. The output from the car comes to six kilowatts, which should be plenty to power a few home appliances at the same time.

Man, if only we had this when we were young. Having the Atari go dark during a thunderstorm was the worst!
  • | Post Points: 125
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Sat, Aug 6 2011 3:48 PM

A car that could supply some AC power to a house would have been quite the thing around here lately.Not to sure that would be a major selling point of the car but still nice to the developing tech work in other ways as well.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 80

Wonder if you can get this power system without the car. Could be charged with cheap off peek power and then used on peek demand.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"I wouldn't be caught dead inside that car, who drive these type of cars? Grandmas do."

-Optimus

Not Ranked
Posts 25
Points 155
CKaye replied on Sat, Aug 6 2011 7:53 PM

I want to get have this car so bad!!! aside from the tesla model s, this is my next dream car

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Electric cars are not the answer to the pollution problem of fossil fuels at least not in the U.S. Much of the electricity that is put on the grid is created with coal which is also a very dirty fuel. Though I do think the feature mentioned in this article is pretty cool :)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
DLeal replied on Sat, Aug 6 2011 8:45 PM

@omega. May not solve the pollution problem but it sure solved my gas price problem. I went from spending over 500 a month to just over 100. Been driving my leaf for 14 weeks and have over 5200 miles on it. Car is fun to drive and love leaving all those gas cars off the line at stop signs. All they get to see is my tail lights.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

@DLeal nice :) that one I will certainly give you. I just think we need better solutions to the dependency on oil and pollution issue. Unfortunately I feel this type of technology has been stifled by politics and corporate America.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS