AMD A6-3650 Llano APU Performance Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,700
Points 1,207,915
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Aug 2 2011 12:44 PM

AMD A6-3650 Llano APU Performance ReviewA few weeks back, AMD officially launched their Llano-based A-Series Accelerated Processing Units, or APUs, in both desktop and mobile flavors. If you’re unfamiliar with Llano, it’s AMD’s mainstream, low-power APU that fuses four x86 cores with a DX11-class graphics processor on a single piece of silicon. The current flagship APU in the desktop line-up is the A8-3850, which hums along at 2.9GHz, with 400 active Radeon cores, that operate at 600MHz. The A6-3650 we’ll be showing you here is built using the same piece of silicon, but this lower-end A6-series part clocks in at 2.6GHz, with 320 active Radeon cores, running at 443MHz...

AMD A6-3650 Llano APU Performance Review

AMD A6-3650 APU In a Hard Candy Shell

• | Post Points: 125
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,650
coolice replied on Tue, Aug 2 2011 1:49 PM

Though its a great step by AMD, it still feels like the product is lacking the, "oumph" factor. Sure the integrated GPU performance is wonderful, but apart from that, its got nothing special. Most folks can do wonders with an i3 and lets say, a AMD 5450 or the most barebones low end GPU.

The low power is also nothing fantastic.

Its a good honest review, But I dont know, it may receive HH's Stamp of Approval, but it doesnt get Coolice's Stamp of approval. That being said, i'm just a lowly student who doesnt know much about computers =D

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,368
Points 48,730
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Tue, Aug 2 2011 2:47 PM

@Coolice - Price out a Core i3 build with discrete graphics. And then price out a 3650 build. You'll see why it then gets the stamp of approval.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,950
MembershipAdministrator

Good performance for an entry level PC. I see nothing wrong with these new AMD APU's at all.

I bought an A8-3850 along with an ASRock F1 board, just to check it out and see if it was  a viable solution. Not long after I had it up and running, my Wife's Dell crapped out (PSU) and I put the AMD A8 box in it's place while I repaired the Dell. Two days later I brought the Dell back and she told me that She was keeping the AMD box, "thank you very much".

No, this is not a democracy, but it's still good. Smile

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,110
Points 11,240
CDeeter replied on Tue, Aug 2 2011 5:11 PM

Thanks for the great review and I'm looking forward to seeing more Llano notebook reviews in the coming months.

@ realneil ; What does your wife use her computer for mostly? Did you or does she do any gaming with it?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,950
MembershipAdministrator

CDeeter:
What does your wife use her computer for mostly? Did you or does she do any gaming with it?

She's getting her Masters Degree through online studies.

I gamed with it a bit without any discrete card in there and it was OK,......If I turned the eye-candy down a little bit, it played all of MY games at decent rates.

When I added a XFX Radeon HD6870 Black to it, things were pretty cool. I didn't do benches with it, but I noticed that the XFX card worked better in it, than it did in the previous system. (a X-2 Phenom 3.0 GHz.)

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 159
Points 1,365
Schmich replied on Tue, Aug 2 2011 10:57 PM

It's quite unfortunate that you can't add better discrete cards. There's just a bit of power missing in my opinion. Sure it will fit some people but a little more power would make a huge deal for gaming. You wouldnt have to choose between high resolution with ok framerates and low res thats 100% fluid.

That also, or mainly actually, goes for mobile.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

Another great review Marco things played out as I had imagined, Intel wins on a pure x86 standpoint while AMD wins on the GPU front.

Again I see more users gravitating toward the Fusion APU as CPU speed at this point in the industry is good enough. Eye candy is what it's all about now days with I-Pads and other slates such as Motorola Zoom and such in the market also HP just released one as well.

Still hope Bulldozer can close the gap some on the CPU front but that is going to be tough as Ivy Bridge will be there to greet it.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,110
Points 11,240
CDeeter replied on Wed, Aug 3 2011 8:44 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of building one of these since it fits into my budget. I'm not what you'd call a hard core gamer but I do want to be able play games.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,950
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Aug 3 2011 12:44 PM

These things will game, just not on MAX settings. Add another HD6000 series GPU to it and it will combine with the onboard graphics to really speed things up. If you're a hard core gamer and want the fastest parts you can get, you need to spend some more money than this costs.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965

great review. As more of a power user, this isn't necessarily what i'd go for, BUT i definitely cannot wait for their next generation of APU tech.

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
RRiani replied on Thu, Aug 4 2011 5:01 PM

Make A6-3650 and A8-3850 VS Core I7 2600K and Core I7 990X, just for laugh -__-

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,950
MembershipAdministrator

RRiani:
Make A6-3650 and A8-3850 VS Core I7 2600K and Core I7 990X, just for laugh -__-

Yeah, that's laughable,.......

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Sat, Aug 6 2011 8:44 AM

For mainstream users that want a snappy inexpensive PC experience this is really pretty hard to beat. Toss in a GPU and 'mainstream users will be on a whole new ride for some gaming as well.All of this at great performance to price ratio.

Sure appreciate the writeup Marco and was looking into this platform with an ASUS F1A75-M Pro @ 120.00 which is very easy to OC with the great UEFI bios Tuning options & on board fan controls with some decent ram can easily bring the OC up to 3.5Ghz without a sweat.That is more than enough for quite a few folks and would take their user experience to a level they never had before for not too much cash.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS