GScreen SpaceBook Notebook Has Dual 17.3" Displays

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,875
Points 1,116,335
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Jul 16 2011 9:43 PM
Notebooks have largely remained the same for years. They have become smaller and more powerful, but the clamshell design is definitely one that's tried and true. A few companies have deviated from time to time, including Lenovo with their W700ds a few years back. But that "pull-out" monitor never really made it to another Lenovo model; hard to say if sales were sluggish or consumer feedback just wasn't positive, but either way, the company definitely reeled things back in after that.

But the GScreen doesn't really mind the past. The company has just introduced the 17" SpaceBook, a gigantic notebook that opens up and unfurls two 17.3" 1080p monitors. That's two panels with one laptop. It's definitely the wildest notebook design we've seen in years, and it looks like a total home run for A/V editing pros that simply can't get enough screen real estate when editing on-the-go.

Due to having twin screens here, it's obviously much bulkier and heavier than most standard notebooks, but it also provides something incredible that no other notebook on the market does. It's difficult to say at this point whether this wild, outlandish design will take off with consumers, but even if it remains a niche product, it's one that we can't help but applaud. The pre-orders are open now, with two main models to choose from. Pricing starts at $2395 for a Core i5 system, with the Core i7 build reaching to $3795. Pricey, but hey -- two displays!
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,925

"Nice novelty,bad pricing and outdated specs: The entry level model starts at $2,395 and packs a last-generation Core i5-560M processor, 4GB of RAM, as well as an outdated GeForce GTS 250M GPU with 1GB of VRAM. Going up to the $2,795 version buys you quad-core muscle with Core i7-740M CPU (also last gen) and 8GB of memory, but keeps the rest of the specs intact."

Pass!

-Optimus

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,365
Points 30,865
rrplay replied on Sun, Jul 17 2011 2:08 PM

News:

.. two panels with one laptop. It's definitely the wildest notebook design we've seen in years, and it looks like a total home run for A/V editing pros that simply can't get enough screen real estate when editing on-the-go.

Due to having twin screens here, it's obviously much bulkier and heavier than most standard notebooks, but it also provides something incredible that no other notebook on the market does. It's difficult to say at this point whether this wild, outlandish design will take off with consumers, but even if it remains a niche product, it's one that we can't help but applaud. ...

just the idea of a laptop opening up with accessibility to 2 screens just cannot be ignored.some folks would just love to have a dual screen setup thats' portable .with all the light speed developments & manufacturing processes we just might see similar offerings  down the road..every thing is getting so thin anyways

dual screen desktop replacement laptops / for multimedia -content creation & multi task wizards on the go ?  would not surprise me

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sun, Jul 17 2011 4:09 PM

Gotta agree with Optimus.... If you need two screens with that regularity, you need a docking station.

I have two extra screens on my docking station at work, and I keep my laptop display open so that I'm working on three screens all day. When I'm not at work, I make due with the one screen and thank God I'm not lugging a heavy machine back and forth every day when I don't have to use it every day.

Laptops should concentrate foremost on portability and weight. When either of those become impractical, you've simply created an non-upgradeable desktop machine.

I would kind of love to pull this out on a plane and aggravate the guy next to me by having my screens hanging half over his lap though.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,436
Points 102,165
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Jul 17 2011 10:12 PM

It's FrankenLappy!

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS