Nvidia and AMD: Combining the GPU Behemoths into a Titan

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday Posted: Fri, Jul 15 2011 3:08 PM

Okay guys so I'm just looking for some opinions and information on possible ways to get the best of both worlds when it comes to Discrete Graphic Cards and the features that come with their respective brands  (AMD and Nvidia)

How can you you possibly create a build and or machine that can support multiple monitors (at least three) and still run 3-D, maybe even 3D in eyefinity.

I know Nvidia Supports 2 Monitors out of the box on 1 card, and AMD supports up to 6 on 1 card, and I'm looking for more of a practical, and not necessarily affordable but not OUTRAGEOUS solution (triple/quad crossfire, or SLI's with the highest end cards)

What do you guys think?
I know the Z68 chipset is supposed to be able to run LucidLogix for multi-GPU support, but also that AMD and Nvidia are maybe coming out with their own solutions to integrating different brand graphics cards?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Sat, Jul 16 2011 3:02 AM

I was intrigued when I read around the web that with a bit of tweaking you could run AMD graphics with an Nvidia as dedicated Physx.  Did not pursue the topic further as of yet.

"I have the power!!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Jul 16 2011 4:30 AM

I don't know if AMD or NVIDIA will ever come out with a solution for interoperable multi-GPU support. It just doesn't seem feisable and both companies would rather focus on their own solutions and their own profit margins rather then go the LucidLogix way...

@LBowen Yes, but you require a specialized driver to do it. You could do it before but NVIDIA locked down that feature whenever there was an ATI card present almost out of fear, stupid fears maybe but fears nonetheless.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Sun, Jul 17 2011 9:27 PM

Do you know anything about LucidLogix? I know its supposed to be usable on any Z68 Chipset Mobo, but their website is very vague on specifics and so is news around the internet and I cant remember exactly where but I read that the reason Nvidia and AMD were considering developing their own interoperable Multi-Gpu solution was to keep LucidLogix from cashing in on and taking away potential profit from them

The main reason I'm interested in combining the two is the idea of Multimonitor with 3-D, and maybe even Eyefinity  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Jul 17 2011 9:58 PM

My Z68 chipset mainboard has a LucidLogix chip on it, but only one PCI-E slot. Big Smile

There is an Intel graphics subsystem (big word for onboard graphics) on it, but no way to mix AMD and NVIDIA cards on it. But,.....I do have pretty Lucid icons and programs that say they're working perfectly for me. Smile

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Wed, Jul 20 2011 1:25 AM

Hmm well I think I might have recently found a solution!

Here's the product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130626

Its a single card with 2 GTX 460 Chips on it so you can run 3 monitors and in 3D, and its technically SLI without the hassle of setting an actual SLI up, its said to be as fast as a GTX580!!

You sacrifice Eyefinity but you still get 3D and Multi-monitor support

But thats a shame you only have 1 PCI-E Slot!
You can combine you onboard graphics with a discrete one if their the same brand cards though right?
and by subsystem do you mean a Sandy-Bridge processor with onboard graphics or your Mobo actually has onboard graphics? 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Jul 20 2011 1:47 PM

OSunday:
Hmm well I think I might have recently found a solution!  Here's the product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130626
Its a single card with 2 GTX 460 Chips on it so you can run 3 monitors and in 3D, and its technically SLI without the hassle of setting an actual SLI up, its said to be as fast as a GTX580!!

It's a nice solution. I'd like to see one with two GTX560 GPU's. (they use less power and deliver better performance too)

OSunday:
But thats a shame you only have 1 PCI-E Slot!

No, I just use as good a GPU that I can afford at the time. Right now it has a GTX570 in it and it's a rompin'-stompin' son of a gun! Smile Dual GPU cards are a good way to get incredible performance when there is just one PCI-E slot, but I don't think that I'm getting anywhere near the bandwidth capabilities of it anyway.

I have an older GTX285 with 2GB of RAM on it. It's got two GTX260's on the board and is quite fast. It doesn't do DX11 though,.....but that's it's ONLY drawback. I still USE it every day.

OSunday:
You can combine you onboard graphics with a discrete one if their the same brand cards though right?
and by subsystem do you mean a Sandy-Bridge processor with onboard graphics or your Mobo actually has onboard graphics?

Yes, the board has a feature that allows for the combining of the built-in graphics with my discrete card. It's called Lucid-Logix. I don't see much improvement with it though, my discrete card is already fast enough for me.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Fri, Jul 22 2011 2:32 PM

Wouldn't that cause the price to jump quite a bit?
When I think of upgrades and whether somethings worth the money or not, I like to think of how long it would last me

I'd hope those dual GTX 460's could last me at least 3 years without a Hassle, making it cost me a little over $100 a year for their use, wouldn't Dual GTX 560's cost more and last for the same amount of time? 

What do you mean about bandwidth capability? (does that refer to whether the PCI slot is at like 8x or 16x etc? I though it stood for bandwidth or something of the sort but never understood what it meant when I would look at Mobo specs)

And yeah whatever I get I'd want it to be able to handle DX11 at least untill DX12 comes around which is a more than decent ways away.

But if it has the feature why wouldn't you run it anyways?
It doesn't hurt to have more power, even if the discrete card is enough 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,571
Points 103,110
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Jul 22 2011 5:09 PM

OSunday:
Wouldn't that cause the price to jump quite a bit?

I wouldn't think it would by too much,...

OSunday:
I'd hope those dual GTX 460's could last me at least 3 years without a Hassle, making it cost me a little over $100 a year for their use, wouldn't Dual GTX 560's cost more and last for the same amount of time? 

They, (dual 460's) would probably last for three years with no problems. (my ~dual GTX260's on one card~ called the GTX-285 is still going strong and it's 3 years old) And there is no dual 560 card out yet,....so I can't speak to that. I just said that I'd rather see a card with two of those on it because of the fact that 560's use less power, run cooler, and are much faster GPU's.

OSunday:
What do you mean about bandwidth capability?

Some platforms are able to move more data at a time across the PCI-e bus than others. (wider bandwidth= heightened capabilities) That's why SLI and Crossfire work out better on an X58 based system than they do on a P55 based board. That's one reason why the truly fast systems are usually X58 based.

Put two video cards onto a P55 based system and they will work at X8 speeds and not X16 speeds. (2 cards running at X8 speeds are not so slow either, but it's still not two cards at X16 speeds, and it can't be, because of bandwidth limitations)

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS