Troubles with 7600GT

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40
Stype Posted: Fri, Jul 15 2011 1:06 PM

Hi all!

This is my first post here and I'm coming with an issue regarding an OLDER piece of tech, namely 7600GT.
My specs are of an aging yet still quite usable PC (I'm saving my cash for a new Bulldozer rig, hopefully it delivers upon release) comprised of an ASUS motherboard P4S800MX SE, Creative SB Audigy, ABIT 7600GT 256 GDDR3, 2 GB DDR400 and an Intel P4 HT 2.8 GHz. Also, I have a valid Win 7 Professional license, so no counterfeit software here. ;)

Anyway, I use this PC primarily for writing my seminars, essays 'n' stuff, but occasionally it works as a casual gaming rig, meaning - of all the titles released in the last 4 years - the newest title I played was The Witcher! ^^  Basically, I'm not into gaming anymore, War3, NWN 1 & 2, Oblivion, Morrowind, Jedi Academy, Halo CE, Half-Life 2 etc. - OLD titles are my thing.

Now, the problem is texture tearing and artifacts. At first I thought it was due to the PSU, but a 400W PSU is more than enough to make it run well, especially on a rig as old as that - so my only conclusion was that the blame falls on drivers.

I've installed the latest driver 275.33, but the texture tearing is still present. I've tried driver versions from 197.45 onwards but to no avail (basically, all the nVidia drivers since Win 7 launched). In Half-Life 2 as well as in many of the other aforementioned titles that crap keeps popping up.

So. Anyone got any ideas? :P
I mean, it's not something I'm obsessive about, just - on Vista and XP that wasn't the case, and it gets annoying as hell. I'm still running Win 7 Pro (no SP1), if that helps. Haven't tried that yet, updating W7 to SP1 but somehow I doubt that would do the trick.

Oh yeah, the airflow is OK, it's not perfect - but it's not an oven either! :)

P.S.: Thanks in advance, and I apologize for for any language mistakes - I'm from Croatia so go easy on me! ;)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Fri, Jul 15 2011 6:08 PM

Hi and welcome to HH .I have and still use a 7600 GS AGP I think about a 450 PSU  .anyhow when was the last time you removed the heatsink and fan ? Removed mine several times over the years to replace TIM [Thermal Interface material] and replaced vid cooler as well.Had many different drivers installed over a period of time so i would recommend that you try a driver sweeper program tun in safe mode and remove all of Nvidia previous display driver stuff and reinstall Nvidia drivers

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

you may need to check out your  DirectX install [dxdiag] 

have you been overclocking ? using Riva Tuner ? might as well grab GPU-Z check your clocks /  temps and let us know how some of this works out for you .

yep still have Half Life 2 Prey and some other games i like on that older rig .

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40
Stype replied on Wed, Jul 20 2011 7:33 AM

Apologies for the late answer!

It seems your comments were spot on!

Heat was the culprit.
After I cleaned the system of all residual driver components and made a fresh driver re-install, there was still some tearing present. I cleaned both of my coolers (cpu & gpu) and removed the thermal paste (applied new ofc, I managed to find an unused tube :P).
And then voila - it worked. So, thumbs up for me being Captain Obvious... damn.

Anyway, after a short stress-test, tearing reoccurred - but, it's a lot better than it was.
Meaning, I need a new GPU heatsink and fan, these just don't cut it... ;)

Since I'm using stock cooler for the card, any chance I could still obtain a good cooler for 7600GT?
I mean, it's way past it's prime so I don't even know if there's a cooler product line supporting it anymore. Any tips? I don't need some über-cooler, but one that could actually keep my card relatively cool during the summer (I still remove my side panel when summer hits :P).

The reason I sound so dumbstruck is quite simple - I'm not exactly a PC tinkerer so no wonder I suck at it - I use my PC until it starts showing signs of slowing and/or hardware problems like this current GPU cooler issue.

Anyway, thanks for all the tips mate! :)

P.S.: I'm no overclocker so I figure that 7600GT chip is still working on it's stock frequency. As for GPU-Z, I'll look into it - don't have the time right now, but I'll check it out soon! 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Wed, Jul 20 2011 9:50 AM

Stype:

Anyway, after a short stress-test, tearing reoccurred - but, it's a lot better than it was.
Meaning, I need a new GPU heatsink and fan, these just don't cut it... ;)

Since I'm using stock cooler for the card, any chance I could still obtain a good cooler for 7600GT?
I mean, it's way past it's prime so I don't even know if there's a cooler product line supporting it anymore. Any tips? I don't need some über-cooler, but one that could actually keep my card relatively cool during the summer (I still remove my side panel when summer hits :P).

OK here ya go  ! & still have one on my GS 7600 and it should work very good for you if the mounting holes on your card are  79mm

Titan TTC-CUV3AB(DIY)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835192006

Not to sure where you can find one in your area  about $12 .00 here in US in a nice little kit and copper HS

.If you can 't find one figure out what distance the mounting holes are for your card

Vantac and Evcercool make some that are about $10 US and may work if the mounting holes are compatible

the Nvidia mounting hole spacing for the GS 7600 and 7600GT are likely to be the same @ 79mm

let us know how it works out for you.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS