LinkedIn Shoves Past MySpace as No. 2 Social Network in the U.S.

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,699
Points 1,207,610
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jul 13 2011 5:49 PM
The sexiest social network on the block right now has got to be Google+, and you probably spent the last several days either trying to secure an invite, or tossing friends and family into Circles. Facebook is still the most popular social hangout, and MySpace recently made headlines for changing hands for a much lower price than News Corp. originally paid for it. But why isn't anyone talking about LinkedIn?

Perhaps they should be. According to new data from comScore, LinkedIn had 33.9 million unique U.S. visitors in June, an increase of around 500,000 from one month prior. That was enough for LinkedIn to leapfrog MySpace and become the second most popular social hangout on the Web in the U.S.

If there's a silver lining here for MySpace, it's that the social network has around 130 million active users, which is 15 million more than LinkedIn. Still. MySpace's monthly unique visitors in the U.S. dropped to less than 33.5 million in June, down from about 35 million a month prior.

Facebook is the still the king, of course (at least until everyone flocks to Google+), and attracted 160.8 million unique visitors in June, which is more than double that of LinkedIn and MySpace combined.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Wed, Jul 13 2011 6:36 PM

I think there is to many social network sites.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Jul 13 2011 7:17 PM

Hmmm.... Second Place.

I've used it before and I admit it's good for connections but from a service I don't hear about often, second place is impressive.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 441
Points 3,420
LLeCompte replied on Wed, Jul 13 2011 9:47 PM

well myspace should just do music from now on and not even deal profiles. No one uses it anymore.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Wed, Jul 13 2011 10:23 PM

From what I have heard Justin Timberlake (wait what did you say), yes Justin Timberlake is in with the group that bought MySpace. He is supposedly working on design, image (of course), Publicity, layout, and programming (lol). I don't know about that decision, but I do know the kids know who he is, and they also use the internet more than any other citizen group as a whole. So who knows, but I know MySpace is trying to make a comeback under new owners. Whether it will ever happen who knows I personally think they should have taken the money spent for it, and that will be spent for new design protocols etc and make a new site, but the name recognition to some point is there obviously as I have read articles on it just about every where including HH.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Thu, Jul 14 2011 12:05 AM

"If the internet is the wild west, then Mark Zuckerberg is a cowboy who has mastered quite a bit of the terrain with 750 million visitors to his Facebook saloon. But, as seen in many old western films, there's occasionally a showdown accompanied by the cliché, "This town isn't big enough for the both of us." While Facebook hasn't met its match quite yet, Google+ may be well on its way.

Google+ launched only two weeks ago, but in its short time on the web (and despite its invitation-only testing phase it's currently in) the social network is blowing up, and many predict that it will be a suitable rival for Facebook.

According to Paul Allen, founder of Ancestry.com, Google+ achieved 7.3 million users on July 10. His statistical analysis also estimates that Google+ will acquire 10 million users today, and if Google keeps the invitation button active, it will reach 20 million users by this weekend."

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS