Sony's PlayStation 4 Rumored To Ship In 2012

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,334
Points 1,191,040
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Jul 7 2011 2:39 AM
Here's one you should definitely take with a grain of salt, but then again, a grain of "well, duh" wouldn't hurt either. Sony has built three PlayStation consoles to date. History would tell us that a fourth is on the way, the only question being "When?" Now, leaks and rumors are starting build surrounding the next generation PS console, with DigiTimes suggesting that PlayStation 4 development / production could start at the end of this year.

Given that Nintendo's already hard at work on the Wii U, Sony shouldn't be too far behind with their next-generation console. The PS4, according to unnamed Taiwanese production companies, will first hit the lines in late-2011 and then ship to consumers in 2012. Reportedly, Foxconn and Pegatron Technology will be responsible for PS4 assembly, just as they are for the PS3. If all goes well, we could see 20 million of 'em shipping, according to those same sources.

Only time will tell, but does it have you rethinking your impending PS3 purchase?
  • | Post Points: 140
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Points 250

I have an original 60gb launch model, and only SNES tops it in my list of favorite consoles. I'm eager to see what they'll come up with.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

I am sure they are keeping the wraps on this as much as possible. It sounds like there might be a console war brewing between the Wii U and PS4 though I am sure the PS4 will be more powerful therefore Sony will still have the most powerful console on the market.

Though it still won't be able to beat a good PC.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 65
Tbagger01 replied on Thu, Jul 7 2011 10:48 AM

It might for a few weeks, until a new video card comes out again. But PC's are the best online gaming platform by far.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

Didn't I just read a statement from someone at Sony saying specifically they aren't planning a ps4 for a while? I thought someone asked them right after the wii u was announced........maybe I'm going crazy. I haven't even had my slim for a year. I hope the move is compatible with the ps4.

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

Hopefully these new systems over deliver as I sometimes feel it holds back the PC as games are ported.

Keeping in mind a console will never = a PC.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 350
Points 2,325
HHGrrl replied on Thu, Jul 7 2011 3:27 PM

I'll stick with my Wii and Xbox 360. Just got Kinect, so that will be my new toy for a while :-)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Jul 7 2011 3:32 PM

Yeah, they keep dangling a release date but they never dangle the possible specs...

We need specs in order to have a PS4 damnit!

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Thu, Jul 7 2011 8:25 PM

I hear the PS4 will have full backwards compatibility with with PS3, and be able to run all your PSP and Android apps in emulation mode.

Then, a year or so later, they'll remove those features as part of a system update that tries to prevent future hacking of the system.

NEVER BUYING SONY AGAIN.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

I am sure this will be more of a hardware upgrade more than anything else.

I am sure they are just banking on the hopes of charging 800 for a new system again:P They would have to really wow me for me to go back to Sony. The Xbox is very competitive and it will probably come down to the issue of being able to play Gran Tourismo6 or not.

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance