Gmail Gets First Major Facelift With New Themes

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,490
Points 1,196,465
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Jul 2 2011 2:01 AM
Remember when Gmail escaped Beta? Doesn't feel like that long ago, but it definitely took Google a really, really long time to finally cross that milestone. And now, the company's finally giving their Mail application the first major facelift that we can remember. For now, the company's leaving these new themes in the "optional" folder, and they've only pushed a few very minor button changes to the masses. But if you're feeling curious, you can poke around in the options / settings to see what's to come.

It's just a small part of a Google-wide effort to deliver an experience that's "more focused, elastic, and effortless across all of their products." The sneak peek includes Preview and Preview (Dense), which showcases the new interface. Google says the interface will eventually expand dynamically to accommodate different screen sizes and user preferences, but until then you can pick the information density that you prefer.

Google says it's cleaner and more modern, but a lot of avid users are griping that the spaces between emails is now too large. Google admits that a few Labs features act odd in the new themes, but that they'll be working to fix them. So, try 'em out, and see how you prefer (or don't prefer) them. Hopefully Google will allow users to keep the "old" look if they so choose.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Sun, Jul 3 2011 1:15 AM

I'll give it a try.  Hopefully I can organize my emails better and spend less time browsing through them.  I don't think they would force people to choose one version.  I had to switch back and forth with their older email style because some messages wouldn't get through all the time.

"I have the power!!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sun, Jul 3 2011 2:14 AM

Eh. I prefer the old look better then the new look. The new look doesn't really organize the mail better, it just makes the buttons bigger and adds a dank, grey element to what was once a colorful theme.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,796
Points 40,655
Inspector replied on Sun, Jul 3 2011 12:28 PM

I am liking the new look. Pretty modern :D

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator

I've not changed anything in mine yet. Fact is that I get used to it being one way and resist change. I don't even have an interest in the new look. Ha-Ha!

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,839
Points 45,835
rapid1 replied on Sun, Jul 3 2011 10:36 PM

That is not for me. I use several different Gmail accounts which I have for some time, and I have them all themed specifically so I know automatically which my auto checker is on. So for now I will sick with what I had. The to big thing I could see I guess, but it is really bright, where the only bright one I use is white, but has navy blue details and accents everywhere, so it is not quite so abrasive. They should do what FF does and have a add on area specifically for layouts you can go through FF layouts for an hour and not be done looking at them.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS