Shortcuts

World Of Warcraft Trial Expands In a Major Way: Game On!

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,870
Points 1,116,205
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jul 1 2011 10:09 PM
It's a bit difficult to think about a certain "new" thing ever getting "old," but that's happening to some extent with World of Warcraft. While it's still frequently talked about and used as a benchmark reference, the title itself is growing a bit long in the tooth. And as time passes, it grows further and further from the minds of new potential customers. But now, Blizzard is trying something new to drum-up interest. Something like "a free trial expansion." The company announced that they would be making it free to play through level 20 via a new "Starter Edition," and there's likely a hope that you'll be so hooked by level 20 that you just hang around and pay for more.

Before the change, the free trial expired after two weeks, regardless of how far you got in the game. Now, you could (in theory) play for much longer, taking whatever time you need to progress through level 20. But here's what's really wild: even after level 20, you can keep playing. You'll just stop earning those valuable experience points. It'll be hard to progress much beyond that without paying up and getting those points, but hey, consider it a challenge!

So, give it a shot! Good luck not getting hooked...
  • | Post Points: 155
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

The free to play platform has worked great for numerous companies, I've been hooked on LOTRO for quite some time, but they let you play to level 65... I'll stick to LOTRO, being able to play through the entire epic quest and being allowed to do every slayer based deed in every area for free without paying a dime is best. And they've managed to septuple their sales doing it thanks to a micropayment system.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Jul 2 2011 2:12 PM

As I said before, Free to Play is becoming a pretty hot commodity for MMO's.

I'm guessing that with WoW behind it, every MMO will have some sort of free-to-play feature behind it.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Sat, Jul 2 2011 2:22 PM

WOW is just so boring to me, and really always has been. I played for a bit back in the day got bored and quit. I went back after there latest upgrade, and bought the two between original and the latest. I played for a little bit and quit again. I am sorry I am used to long meaning quest's and some intrigue as well as difficulty. WOW is just so easy to play you don't even need to be at your computer for any reason but tho point your character in a direction.

I started MMO type gaming with the original D&D 20+ years ago, not than an MMO totally compares really, but I started MMO with EQ1 in Month 2 when it was still brand new, and went on to beta ever upgrade up until Dragons, and also played a Guide on two servers. I have also played several other titles, but Warcraft just never did it for me.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,071
Points 10,850
CDeeter replied on Sat, Jul 2 2011 5:05 PM

As a WOW player, I can admit to seeing you point of view. There have been times when the whole talk-to-this-person-to-go-here-and-get-this-for-that got stale for me. And once you reach a certain level you have figured out your rotation of spells and attacks that work for you. Having said that, I still enjoy the game, roaming around by myself working to complete achievements or with my friends dungeon crawling is still fun for me. Perhaps the social aspect of the game is what appeals to me the most. I know it's a game, but the way it's setup I can pause to chat with my friends if I choose to and not have to worry about getting randomly killed - without pausing the game. So maybe it's a little less hardcore, and doesn't have bleeding edge graphic, but that's fine by me.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Yeah, but they hook you because you still have to give up your CC info! that is how they get many parents to sign the kids up and then after the fact is when the parents figure out they are being charged. If it is a free trial then really put it out there. Blizzard is so far up its own butt, they think everyone will just surrender to them.

I got the ten day trial of Star Trek online, and after ten days I still dont have the game downloaded! Seriously it is only around 70% done!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Sat, Jul 2 2011 10:22 PM

I tried WOW and couldn't get into it myself. I probably didn't give it a decent enough chance having only really played for less than a day. I do enjoy MMOs though, with my last fix coming from Vindictus,

"I have the power!!"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Sun, Jul 3 2011 12:38 AM

I used to like wow, but now its nothing special after doing the same thing over and over with each expansion. I tried cata but after a couple months of playing , you realize its still the same old game and remember why you quit before. Also they destroyed resto pvp for me, you can now only heal untill the guys get bored with you and leave (had about a 45 min duel with a mage before he quit).

Even though dont like wow any more there is still 12million people playing it, so i guess it is still a pretty hot game for many. Although i would like to see a new mmo pop up that can take a large part of wow's market share.

I'm just looking forward to star wars : the old republic, waiting a long time so it better be different.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Sun, Jul 3 2011 12:42 AM

Ok? so is this suppose to make me want to play? :D Don't think i will ever touch it, i just don't like these types of rpg game especially if u have to pay a monthly subscription.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Sun, Jul 3 2011 11:32 PM

yeah fat78 I am looking forward to SWTOR, and have been for years now (since the released the first press release). I really like Vanguard (I was a alpha tester on through release and for quite a while after that, but it never went anywhere except for refinement of the existing world. Of course there was really a lot to it even for a single continent. They could have done a lot with it, but it never went anywhere else. As far as it goes for an MMO it was and most likely still one of the best looking worlds in the category (Medieval looking RPG type) period. I think it still exists SONY just never went anywhere with it at all other than that initial world even though they did for over a year after I quit say they were going to, but they never did.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 224
Points 2,390
Kiristo replied on Thu, Jul 7 2011 4:28 AM

I made a new account with this to try making a twink (always liked that back in the day more than anything else in wow). You can't use your mailbox or interact with others (join guilds/get enchants), so this is pretty much worthless to me. If you were new to the game, I guess it's cool, but you can level to 60 pretty easy in a couple days, so the old trial was better. I've played and quit wow several times. I haven't played since the last trial week for cataclysm, and I only played like 3 days of that. It's just more of the same, boring game. Twinking is the only thing I continuously enjoyed, but wouldn't pay a subscription just for that. SWTOR looks like an MMO I'll enjoy and will try. Otherwise, most of them are all pretty comparable to wow, but not as good, and even wow is pretty damn boring.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105
Seriously screw online gaming!!!! Y'all know I am a big Star Trek fan. I recently got a free ten day key for Star trek Online with my Logitech G930's.

When I started my account It wouldn't let me proceed without inputting the ten day key code, so I did. Only then was I able to download the client. Well after the 16days that it took me to download the game itself, those free ten days have passed!!! I was not even able to play the demo levels since I input a ten day key. SO I am not even able to set up a character, play the demo levels or even see what the game looks like without paying for online credits!

So in other words FF*** That!! If I have to download 7GB's, Just give me a game that I can buy and play like any other game and if I want more then I will go online! I know this crap will not fly when people start having GB limitations on their ISP service! If you only get 10GB a month for a 100 dollars, I am sure most people will not bother wasting that on a 10 GB game download. Not when they can just go buy a game for 70bucks. Then again, I am sure they will try something like download only games for the PS4, and partner with ATT ISP's :P

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

animatortom:
So in other words FF*** That!! If I have to download 7GB's, Just give me a game that I can buy and play like any other game and if I want more then I will go online! I know this crap will not fly when people start having GB limitations on their ISP service! If you only get 10GB a month for a 100 dollars, I am sure most people will not bother wasting that on a 10 GB game download. Not when they can just go buy a game for 70bucks. Then again, I am sure they will try something like download only games for the PS4, and partner with ATT ISP's :P

My Steam folder is well over 200GBs and I own around 100 games. Its about the only way I buy games. Going to Walmart or other shops to find a game is just a hassle imo. I would rather download them. If Comcast decided to put a cap that affected me in a bad way (I know they do the 250GB a month thing) Then I would switch to Verizon FioS or something.I'm a firm believer in voting with your dollar. I've skipped on many games because they do things I don't like. For instance Launching at $60 and having $10 - $20 worth of DLCs at launch. Or having bad DRM schemes.

On the topic of WoW. Free to play has been the new thing. If they do it in the right way it works really well. WoW and TF2 are both doing it in a pleasing way. WoW is more like a extended trial and TF2 selling hats and weapons, but not making it imposable or even all that hard to get the same weapons in game without paying. Quake Live also puts together a pretty nice package for free. 

Games that do it bad are like Battlefield Heroes. I had a blast with that game during the beta tests then it was released and you pretty much have to play or you are stuck with complete crap weapons and a default character.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS