Nevada Approves Driverless Car Law

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,383
Points 1,192,245
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Jun 23 2011 10:13 PM
Earlier, it was noted that Google was lobbying the state of Nevada to get driverless cars approved, and it appears they have been successful. The State of Nevada has passed Assembly Bill No. 511 which, among other things, provides that the Nevada Department of Transportation "shall adopt regulations authorizing the operation of autonomous vehicles on highways within the State of Nevada."

Google also succeeded in getting a second bill passed. That bill exempts those sitting in the "driver's seat" of an autonomous vehicle from Nevada's ban on texting while behind the wheel. It reads:
For the purposes of this section, a person shall be deemed not to be operating a motor vehicle if the motor vehicle is driven autonomously through the use of artificial-intelligence software and the autonomous operation of the motor vehicle is authorized.
Google has been testing automated, self-driving automobiles in California. The automated cars use video cameras, radar sensors and a laser range finder to “see” traffic, as well as detailed maps, as well as a connection to Google's data centers.

As a backup during testing, each car is "driven" by a software engineer in the passenger seat, as well as a human being sitting in the driver's seat, ready to take over in the event of a "bug."

Autonomous vehicles aren't going to be hitting the road in general anytime soon. In October of 2010, when the first reports on the Google test vehicles appeared, it was reported that the most optimistic predictions pointed to it taking 8 years for the technology to be deployed to consumers.
  • | Post Points: 200
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Fri, Jun 24 2011 1:15 AM

Who calls major accident coming up?... I have no clue how this got passed, but if it works wonders why not. Just hope it doesn't fail on you, i wouldn't mind having one on a road trip :)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Fri, Jun 24 2011 3:22 AM

Cant wait to see when every one is driving fully self controlled cars

Not Ranked
Posts 40
Points 440

If vehicles eventually do have this software it could potentially end up being bad news for all city and state income as the cars would be going the speed limit, using their blinkers, and obeying the current laws. But on the flip-side this could also mean less vehicular accidents and potentially shorter traffic jams.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

I love the idea of commuting to work and not having to drive that would be 30 minutes each way of time I would have back... I have family members who have a much longer commute so it would be great for them. @inspector most definitely would be nice for a road trip I recently drove 22 hours for a vacation to visit some family and it took 2 days I could not drive straight through because I got tired and it was not safe. If the car drove itself I would have made it there about 10 hours sooner than I did.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
DOverbagh replied on Fri, Jun 24 2011 9:36 AM

This also has the potential to put a lot of people out of work (i.e. cab, bus, and truck drivers). I suspect there will be many unions and other groups lobbying against such a shift. So, even if the tech is proven to work, Google has a looong road in front of them to make this a 'comsumer' product.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Jun 24 2011 10:20 AM

I've seen Autonomous cars before on YouTube and it's just great that autonomous cars are finally going to get acceptance after this.

I fear that like every autonomous item out there, it could gain self intelligence and well... Turn on our human creators. :P

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645
omegadraco replied on Fri, Jun 24 2011 10:58 AM

DOverbagh:
This also has the potential to put a lot of people out of work (i.e. cab, bus, and truck drivers). I suspect there will be many unions and other groups lobbying against such a shift. So, even if the tech is proven to work, Google has a looong road in front of them to make this a 'comsumer' product.

Great point though this seems like the case with most technology as tech progresses there are less jobs that need to be done. Look at factory workers how much robotics have effected their employment rates.

Not Ranked
Posts 71
Points 790
EHarler replied on Fri, Jun 24 2011 11:45 AM

I can't avoid remembering that Volvo exhibition.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
elsinger replied on Fri, Jun 24 2011 8:51 PM

I would hate a reboot at 65mph....

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

elsinger:

I would hate a reboot at 65mph....

That would totally suck, they certainly won't be run by wintel machines lol

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

So if a driverless car runs on Ethel alcohol,........ will it get a

DUI?

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Sat, Jun 25 2011 12:55 AM

no wonder there has a been quite a few newer and powerful mobile CPU s coming out lately ..certainly much quicker than desktop CPUs that are very energy efficient

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 88
Points 750

This actually has me excited. The main reason I can think of autonomous vehicles not working very well, is they will operate on very specific commands and logic, whereas some humans just don't, and could cause a crash with a auto-auto.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,635
coolice replied on Sat, Jun 25 2011 9:23 PM

"AWW MANN, My car just BSOD'd and it got the RROD" Ahaha

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Sun, Jun 26 2011 5:08 AM

...pending.