Logitech Z906 Speaker System Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 32 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,492
Points 1,196,580
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jun 22 2011 11:28 AM

Logitech Z906 Speaker System ReviewIt doesn't matter how hard your earphones pound your eardrums with cranium shaking noise, you can't truly call yourself a power user unless you're ticking off the neighbors and scaring the hell out of the dog with a surround sound setup that rattles the walls and punches copious amounts of bass. Without it, you might as well give your man-card away to someone who plans on fulfilling the requirements for membership in an illustrious club that demands everything be over the top.

Logitech's famed Z-5500 system fit the bill, and there are many who consider it to be the king of multimedia speakers. But a king's reign can only last so long before either being usurped, or passing the torch to a successor. In this case, it's the latter, with Logitech's new Z906 speaker system stepping up to the throne as the company's new flagship speaker-set...

Logitech Z906 Speaker System Review

• | Post Points: 305
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,796
Points 40,655
Inspector replied on Wed, Jun 22 2011 11:51 AM

Either my neighbors or a cop will be visiting me soon if i had these! :D lol. Nice review. Should include the price in there.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645
omegadraco replied on Wed, Jun 22 2011 12:38 PM

@Inspector $319.99 @ Tigerdirect Stick out tongue In the neighborhood I live in no one would even notice the sound of this system...

Thanks for the review Marco.

Too bad I only have room for a 2.1 setup on my desk... my living room on the other hand has a low end sound system already set up I just need to find myself a decent powered subwoofer as the passive one I have does not cut it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

I have the z5500's and I have had the neighbors and cops visit! Right now I have them set up as a home theater system with my tv, can't complain. The current price is 335 on newegg. Looks like an amazing system, thanks for the write-up Paul. Too bad it's missing the tweets and trueHD. I don't think I'll be upgrading anytime soon my z5500's are still doing great.

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Wed, Jun 22 2011 12:43 PM

I have been in the market for a new set of speakers ever since I caught the ferrets trying to make a den out of my subwoofer it has not sounded the same :(

Thanks for the review.

"I have the power!!"

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

@ inspector the article stated  "at a street price around $320".

I got a pair of the Z-5500 for a friend and they filled the room pretty good. The key is to pair these up with a good sound card but that goes for any speaker setup.

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 130

i just don't like how everything is in the back of the subwoofer,, I don't keep a sub near my TV or my rack (in my basement the sub is like 10 feet away from the rack and in my livingroom, the rack is in the basement,, i'd be running super long wires just to make it work.

other than that, you're almost better off going with say the Samsung bluray all in one home theaters (i have ht-c5500,, maybe not as many inputs,, but really if you run the optical from your TV to the unit, you'll get everything that goes to your TV.

Maybe you'll have a bit less power too (RMS side of things), but honestly unless you blast it all the time, you won't really notice. and their front & center speakers are 2 way design. for 350, you get more functionality i think

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Wed, Jun 22 2011 5:28 PM

I don't think that those with the previous Z-5500 are going to be upgrading to these.Thanks for the open and honest review. Too bad that they miss in a few areas for a modest yet worthy addition to a theater setup since music critical listening may be expected as well.I would def notice the absence of the tweeter and miss the 'air and highs. Much more detail and clarity of the sound-stage image would also be missed,and would not compromise that for hard hitting bass and room filling sound.Maybe there will be an updated version of these to recommend, and would expect to see a higher price to deliver that type of performance.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

MonkeySweat:
I don't keep a sub near my TV or my rack (in my basement the sub is like 10 feet away from the rack and in my livingroom, the rack is in the basement,,

"I see your point, a lot of people have it in a corner far away. I in the other hand , have the sub in the corner of my desk, and since its tagged a Computer Speaker, they figured buyers will have it their peripherals connected  from a very short distance. A also I see less cable clutter on the desk and on the control console. Too bad it doesnt offer Dolby TrueHD and/or DTS-HD Master, I would pay an extra premium for it. Still, this will be my nest set of speakers unles I find the Z5500 for $199 new, that was available around the holidays last year. '

-Optimus

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Sweet setup, I guess it should be at that price!

I just got my Logitech G930's and I am loving it, (except for the Clearwire WiMax conflict)

It would be nice if for this price they would interconnect this system with their other products like the G930's and other Logitech wireless components to all work together?

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,796
Points 40,655
Inspector replied on Thu, Jun 23 2011 1:17 AM

hum, didn't see that before... :D Read through it once and skimmed it a second time and missed it... O.o

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 161
Points 1,390
detnight replied on Thu, Jun 23 2011 8:51 AM

we are getting a new LCD/LED TV for our bedroom and need a compact soumd system. With set up we have this should work find for tv and mp3's

Asus M4A79T deluxe,AMD Athlon II X4 620,PNY GTX285 1gb,Patriot Viper DDR3 1333 8gb,Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro,Diamond ATI TV Wonder HD 650 Comb,Plextor DVD-CD burner,Patriot PS-100 SSD 32gb ,WD 500gb 32mg,Antec Twelve Hundred Full Tower,Antec True Power Quattro 1000watts,Toshiba 40in 1080p for a monitor

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 88
Points 750

I don't like the control pod of these new Z906s as good. My brother has the Z5500s, and I like the digital display on that control pod much better. However, I guess you can't compare really until you try them both.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Jun 23 2011 5:56 PM

animatortom:
It would be nice if for this price they would interconnect this system with their other products like the G930's and other Logitech wireless components to all work together?

Well the Z-5500 (and also the Z906) allowed you to hook up other devices to the Sound System so I assume you could do the same with their own products even though they don't work natively.

Still, having the Logitech products work together would be totally cool.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Being able to plug anything in with an RCA jack is not what I meant.

I was talking about having wireless components like the g930 or other Bluetooth products able to sync together. At least they should have thought about it at the price of these speakers. 

I have way to often seen these logitech setups going for 3bills then a year later they are in a Frys ad for 75 bucks:P

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,650
coolice replied on Fri, Jun 24 2011 2:01 PM

Good review! I have a z5500... and Im like the fact that Logitech opted for a 8inch subwoofer... the 10, although, sure its huge and bassy, dammn, its Boomy and muddy. Smaller woofer = tighter bass i hope.

I wont be upgrading anytime soon. I'm still contemplating selling what I have now and opting for an amp and diy speaker project, which is going to start soon.

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 340
notryan replied on Fri, Jun 24 2011 5:40 PM

Logitech can't really go wrong with me.

I've currently only got a mid-range Logitech speaker set for my desk, so I may upgrade to this (or the next iteration) for gaming. For music I'll be buying a pair of KRK Rokits. :)

wat

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Jun 25 2011 7:48 AM

Same here. I had some Logitech speakers I bought at a computer fair before they crapped out on me and the right speaker stopped working. Still, they were pretty good while it lasted. Let's hope I can get a replacement for the bass unit and front two speakers.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 558
Points 5,105

Eh, I'll stick with my current system. Although I will say this looks really nice for a cheap intro system.

BTW, anyone ever hear how loud a 1520w system with two 10" subwoofers can get when cranked up?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 997
Points 14,405
Manduh replied on Mon, Jun 27 2011 11:39 PM

I am absolutely drooling over these! I STILL haven't gotten any speakers for my lappy and I sooo need some! Just might have to start working the corner to get me some of these HAHA!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
TAnderson replied on Sat, Aug 27 2011 11:07 AM

Did anyone notice that Logitech DOWNGRADED the sub from a 10" in the Z-5500 to a smaller 8" in the Z-906?

The original 680's were running 8".

SHAME ON YOU Logitech!

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 385
Jajuka replied on Thu, Sep 22 2011 12:32 AM

I have yet to hear a PC speaker that sounds better than my Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultras. They are 2-way speakers (separate mid and tweeter drivers), and the sub has dual side-firing 8" woofers. Best to pair this with a great sound card with analog outputs, as this doesn't have any digital inputs. They didn't bother with any digital decoders or such; they focused everything on making the best set of PC speakers. And I think they achieved that, hands down.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I have a z-5500 set with the sound blaster fatality one xfi card and you cant turn volume up past three. I have had these for three years and still don't think nothing could compare to the set. Truly remarkable and they were affordable then,but price has jumped like something stupid! Keep up the great work Logitech!!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 80

I just received the z906 speakers and when setting them up I bent a couple of the wires for the console on the subwoofer and I do not know how to fix this problem. Any help please??

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

Are you saying you bent the pins on the connectors?  If so, you can just straighten them out and hope you don't break them off.  Also, Logitech has a rather solid warranty, I remember correctly their surround sounds carry a 2 or 3 year warranty.  So you can try that route if you can't fix it yourself.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 80

Ya I tried that and realized that one of them did break off. Would I just call the company?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

The easiest way for me was to go take a picture of the damage, and head over to logitech's website and start the RMA process.  From there I uploaded a picture of the damage, and explained why it wasn't working.  Within 24 hours they responded and I recieved the replacement within a week. 

One thing though, you have to have your receipt or they won't do anything.  So hopefully you purchased it online and you can pull up your order history.  Now, in your case, the z906 comes with a 2 year limited warranty.  So if you purchased it recently, you can just say it must have been damaged in shipping or something, otherwise they may not help you unless the person issuing the RMA believes it to be a issue with quality of the parts.  Generally though Logitech doesn't fight you at all, as long as you have the information they need.

Here's the terms of the warranty :  http://www.logitech.com/en-us/footer/terms-of-use?wt.mc_id=usym_redirect_/warranty&id=3101

Here's the info page to contact support : http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22982/related/1

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 9:20 PM

That's pretty impressive that Logitech only requires a picture of a product malfunction (No proof of purchase?)
It also seems like that method is one that makes it easiest for customers to get support and replacements but it seems like it might be a little vulnerable to scamming at the same time 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

Nah, you have to have the receipt.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 80

Thanks you. I there anyway I could just get a nicer subwoofer and still use all the speakers?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

Yeah the speakers will work as long as you have a power souce.  You can put them in your car if you wanted.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 80

Okay I just want to use them with an aux cord for my iPhone to play music and that is my dilemma. If I got a better subwoofer how would I plug all the speakers in and where would I plug in an aux chord?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

Well the issue with all that is, if you got a different sub woofer i'd imagine you'd need to get one of those receivers (is this the correct word?), to plug it all into, because I doubt the other subwoofers would have the 20 something pin D type connector that the logitech sub uses.  I could be completely wrong on this, but I don't know.  I do know you could use the speakers and separate sub with a home audio receiver to go with it, since those typically just speaker wire from the speaker to the receiver and then the receiver is powered by the wall.

Page 1 of 1 (33 items) | RSS