Dell's XPS 15z Ultra Slim Notebook Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,690
Points 1,156,390
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Jun 20 2011 1:55 PM

Dell's XPS 15z Ultra Slim Notebook ReviewFor some, Dell may historically have an undeserved reputation for producing run-of-the-mill products, but when you look at their recent smartphone offering like the Venue Pro, slates like the 5-inch Streak and computers like the Adamo XPS, it's hard to not give 'em credit where credit is due. Enter the XPS 15z. For all intents and purposes, this is yet another standout product from Dell, one that simply cannot be lumped into standard mainstream categories. There's something fundamentally different about the 15z that commands a second look, and in our case, an in-depth review of its features and capabilities...

Dell's XPS 15z Ultra Slim Notebook Review

• | Post Points: 185
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"Excellent review, awesome video, I have no questions, which is rare, but an opinion, with a laptop as beautiful as this, I surely would not have those stickers on the keypad."

-Optimus

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

Great review this is a sharp looking laptop. I really like the shape of the keys. I agree with @Optimus those stickers would be the first thing to go!

"we doubt you'll find a superior 15.6" machine out there right now"

I hate to be the a-hole who takes this seriously but the digital storm xm15 level 2 should do the trick. Better processor(2630QM) and graphics card(555m) coming in at 1126 with 8gb and 750hd selected its 1192.

Now you're just mashing it!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Mon, Jun 20 2011 4:56 PM

Good review on a stylish laptop from Dell. Nice to see it do so well in the benchmarks and I wasn't too surprised from the Metro 2033 benchmarks since every test I have seen before that game just kills all but the highest end components. Too bad about the battery but all together a good laptop with some nice features.

"I have the power!!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,630

Thanks for another great review. This looks and sounds like a very nice laptop. Though looking at the side view it does not seem as thin as you would think for being less than 1"

@LBowen I have had a lot of trouble with Dell batteries and at least with the Dell machines I have at work currently which are all 1 and 2 years old. Out of 220 2 year old machines I have had to replace about 75% of the batteries because they simply failed and the machines won't stay on with battery power at all. and even the other 500ish 1 year old machines have had about 25% of the batteries replaced.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
meidonakku replied on Mon, Jun 20 2011 11:06 PM

i just want to change my notebook .that's why i am here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

Great review of this gorgeous laptop I agree that aluminum just looks classy.

I hope Dell does not go the complete route of Apple locking users out from upgrading battery's to RAM and CPU.

Speaking of which Marco, is this unit upgradable as far as RAM and CPU and hard drive go?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,515
pwrntspd replied on Tue, Jun 21 2011 4:37 PM

Im impressed with the quality of the notebook, i always thought of Dell as being sorta cheap, especially after fixing numerous Dell desktops. Its also nice to see that Dell decided to be a bit more artistic with the looks as opposed to HP who tried to copy the mac book pros straight up. Not that the Envy line isn't nice, its just good to see a different type of styling. Nice review Ray.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
MShea replied on Wed, Jun 22 2011 3:19 AM

Great Video and Review! I would have to say one of the best video reviews of the 15z I've seen and yeah, I've seen about all of them. This will be my next laptop for sure.

You say, "If we had to dig up some negatives, it's the three palm rest stickers, the excessive heat / noise produced when the machine is taxed, the non-replaceable battery and the omission of WiDi (or a similar wireless streaming technology)."

Does "Intel® Wireless Display ready" mean WiDi enabled?

I checked Dell's site and it does have WiDi.

Wireless

* Connectivity Options6

10/100/1000 Ethernet network standard, opt external USB Modem

Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 802.11 agn (2x2)

Bluetooth 3.0

Intel® Wireless Display ready6

Just thought I would clarify. :D

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Jun 22 2011 3:20 AM

Another great, thorough review as always.

I like that it performs admirably through every benchmark that was placed through it and I admit, I'm a sucker for the notebook's looks.

At least it's a far cry from the Dell of 2003 right?

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,370
Points 30,935
rrplay replied on Sun, Jun 26 2011 3:00 PM

This is a great review and about as thorough a they get.and actually surprised as too all the sweetness that Dell but into this laptop.What I liked seeing in the video was Dave's hands-on to get a better idea of the keyboard /trackpad size.Liked the hinge design as well and more laptop chassis can do better with that like Dell did here .

It has a lot of features and performance I would consider for a powerful day in day out laptop that looks really great too.about the only deal breaker is the non-user replaceable battery & possibly some heat and fan issues .But overall its a laptop I pretty much like and surprisingly from Dell.Definitely going to share this some of my Friends to consider and sure they may be seriously looking into this one.In a way ir has a mac like look with out the high price and the minimal amount of pre-installed software is a plus.

heck it can be configured like the review model for some casual gaming with great rez on the screen and what's in the base models ain't too shabby.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 470

This laptop is looking good. I like the integration of the page/home/end keys on the arrows. On the Dell 1520 they keys are crammed on the rightmost column and the key board feels cluttered, not to mention that the home key is blocked in by the backspace and delete key. I only point this out because I use terminal almost exclusively for work, I even finally got Eclipse running RSE so that I could program and store my file on the remote server :) Now the only thing necessary is for my current computer to spontaneously combust.

Thanks for the great review. I am a fan of the video reviews as I can pop them up on one screen and continue working while glancing over.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS