Intel P67 Motherboard Round-up: Asus, Fatal1ty, GB, MSI

rated by 0 users
This post has 27 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,871
Points 1,172,430
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jun 17 2011 1:22 PM

P67 Motherboard Round-up: Asus, Fatal1ty, GB, MSIMotherboards are arguably one of the more difficult PC component to shop for. The magnitude of choices available can make the shopping experience confusing and frustrating. Take for example Intel's heralded Sandy Bridge line of processors and the Cougar Point chipset used on a wide variety of motherboards. A popular online e-tailor, Newegg.com, offers no less than 151 motherboards at this point based on Intel's Socket LGA 1155.

In order to assist you in your decision making process, we've gathered five of the latest P67 motherboards from several of the big name manufacturers in the industry, Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, and ASRock...

Intel P67 Motherboard Round-up: Asus, Fatal1ty, GB, MSI

• | Post Points: 290
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 130
fefzero replied on Fri, Jun 17 2011 1:53 PM

I enjoyed the round-up a lot, but isn't the Z68 chipset the way to go? What have these got over that newer, more fully featured, chipset?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

@fefzero I'm assuming it takes a long time to test these boards especially in a round up and not just a single board review. I agree, z68 is the way to go but I dont think it's been out long enough for them to pick and choose which boards are good enough to make a round up. I'm sure we will see a z68 round up soon.

This was a very good read, thanks Mathew. I still love the ASRock board, I wish it had been higher on your list; it actually got editors choice on legitreviews.com. Any board on this list would be an awesome choice.

Now you're just mashing it!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Fri, Jun 17 2011 2:14 PM

ASUS has impressed me with their recent AMD 900+ boards so I can't say I'm surprised it was one of their boards that took Editor's Choice. Thanks for the review and benchmarks.

I agree with you Drake the Fatal1ty does catch the eye and sports some good features while being in the middle of this price range.

"I have the power!!"

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Fri, Jun 17 2011 2:15 PM

ASUS has impressed me with their recent AMD 900+ boards so I can't say I'm surprised it was one of their boards that took Editor's Choice. Thanks for the review and benchmarks.

I agree with you Drake, the Fatal1ty catches the eye and sports some good features while being in the middle of this price range.

"I have the power!!"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

I guess I've been a huge fan ever since @realneil was talking about some of the features when it was first released. Check out the features video of it, the dual lan teaming, gaming mouse port, and overall look for the price had me sold from day one.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,780
Points 40,565
Inspector replied on Fri, Jun 17 2011 2:29 PM

Hum take more power and better performance or an overall one? :D

Thanks for the round up :)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Great review. Can't wait for the Z68 chipset boards to have this kind of review. The nice thing is you can pretty much go with any one of these boards and have a wicked system. I love ASUS boards but have been pretty impressed with what ASrock is putting out though I did hear that ASUS owns them.

Not Ranked
Posts 71
Points 790
EHarler replied on Fri, Jun 17 2011 3:18 PM

Great review! I'm glad I got an ASUS myself.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965
jonation replied on Fri, Jun 17 2011 4:17 PM

msi still impresses me, agreed - I can't wait for the z68 roundup.

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

Another great review and I agree that ASRock board looks sweet.

Just wonder why they went with the ribbon cable as that technology is long in the tooth, and to impede airflow and obstruct such a beautiful board I don' t understand.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"These are a nice set of motherboards, I enjoyed the info provided by the article and im Sold on the Asus WS revolution and the Asrock board. Heres why"

"What I'm looking forward in the P67 chip-set and the Sandy Bridge K series is the overclockabilty. Thats first and foremost. All the test performed on each Motherboard are very crucial, but none of them really sold me on to "why would I buy one."

"Believe or not, The extra Features and the looks of the Asrock and WS Revolution stand out, and yes, so do performance numbers.'

"What I felt was missing from  this round-up, is the segment of the article that covers overclocking. How easy or difucult it is to overclock the proccessor and how high can it go with the new auto overclocking feature within the "EUFi Bios of each board and manual as well, something that Asus has received critical aclaim. "

"The Asrock motherboard has UEFI too, but it was not mentioned in its decription. Also , I got a question though, how does dual lan work or work better,  than having one lan port? Can I connect two different modems to it and work? Or does it work more effecient by plugin in two ethernet cables from the same source?"

-Optimus

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Jun 18 2011 4:30 AM

OptimusPrimeTime:
"What I felt was missing from  this round-up, is the segment of the article that covers overclocking. How easy or difucult it is to overclock the proccessor and how high can it go with the new auto overclocking feature within the "EUFi Bios of each board and manual as well, something that Asus has received critical aclaim. "

Eh. Overclocking the processor (which has to have a K at the end.) is ridiculously easy with the new processors. It doesn't matter that much with the new generation of motherboards where BIOS options is concerned, all that matters is which one has the most essential features for overclocking.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Sat, Jun 18 2011 8:40 AM

Thanks for the video Drake. All of the motherboards are pretty good; it's too bad they are socket 1155 or I might have considered upgrading my motherboard from my current one.

"I have the power!!"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

TaylorKarras:
Eh. Overclocking the processor (which has to have a K at the end.) is ridiculously easy with the new processors. It doesn't matter that much with the new generation of motherboards where BIOS options is concerned, all that matters is which one has the most essential features for overclocking.

"I can't decipher whether or not you are agreeing with me, cause that's what it sounds like, Its basically the same thing I said and an essential part that was left out."

"Furthermore, I did some googleling  on the ASRock Fatal1ty P67, and Ka-ching, It has a preset built in its EUFI Bios that with one click a a button, you can have either the 2500k or 2600k overclock to a rock solid  4.8GHz without messing or guessing with voltages, its that simple. Just on that fact, It's now my motherboard of choice . Meaning also that I don't have to pay an extra premium for someone to do the work for me."

"Like Drake said, I also remember reading somewhere from Realneil about how good Asrock motherboards are, and that it had a easy OC feature that with a couple of clicks, it overclocked his i7 P55 chip to about 3.8 easily.  "

"I have another question though as I re-read this article again, Is Approved better than Recommend? I'm a bit confused seeing that Editor Choice was third and last to show up."

-Optimus

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Jun 18 2011 11:06 AM

OptimusPrimeTime:
Like Drake said, I also remember reading somewhere from Realneil about how good Asrock motherboards are, and that it had a easy OC feature that with a couple of clicks, it overclocked his i7 P55 chip to about 3.8 easily.

So does the ASUS and Gigabyte motherboards.

While I do agree with you that there needs to be a section dedicated to how easily we can overclock and how high. I'm saying that it's really isn't essential when the only overclocking option you have on the processor is increasing the multiplier (thus simplifying everything really.).

Besides, I disagree with auto overclocking. For one thing, there is always the potential that a lot of the settings will be set too high so there's the chance that you could be shortening the lifespan of your processor, even though it's a small overclock.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

TaylorKarras:

I'm saying that it's really isn't essential when the only overclocking option you have on the processor is increasing the multiplier (thus simplifying everything really.).

Besides, I disagree with auto overclocking. For one thing, there is always the potential that a lot of the settings will be set too high so there's the chance that you could be shortening the lifespan of your processor, even though it's a small overclock.

"So what you are saying is that , to overclock the K Chips, All I have to do is increase the multiplier manually?? So what about the voltages, do they increase themselves automatically? Isn't that what the auto option in the Bios does.As you can tell, I don't mess around with assembling my own PC nor play with settings, I mean, that's the purpose of the new User friendly interface EUFI, to make things as easy as possible and take out the guess work. Also, all the Asrock Fatal1ty p67 board reviews state that the auto overclock are solid, no complains. "

"I want to build my own PC in the near future, how near? When Bulldozer drops, thats when I will decide on my upgrade. I will invest in something that will last me at least three years. My other choice is the Asus SaberTooth 990FX, on the fact that the materials and components are durable, as  I plan to leave my pc on all the time."

-Optimus

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 3,015

it would be hard to decide between the asus or the asrock i also liked the msi board i have the big bang for those of you that remember. i had some troubles with it but msi stood behind it. i have been very impressed with it so i could go with that one to. I'm not looking to up grade yet so we will see later what they come out with.

and i also give thanks to Drake for the video. the more info you have the better decision you can make.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 161
Points 1,390
detnight replied on Sat, Jun 18 2011 10:19 PM

I agree on the lack of OC abiltiy of the boards. Since I bought my first ABIT bx6 board back about a hundred years ago the main thing is how does it handle Over Clocking. But it is write ups like this that make it fun to find a new board. I enjoy the research it takes to pick a new board and I never get in a hurry...........................sometimes months.

The best thing now is the boards are not ugly. Back in the 90's them all looked about the same GREEN.

Asus M4A79T deluxe,AMD Athlon II X4 620,PNY GTX285 1gb,Patriot Viper DDR3 1333 8gb,Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro,Diamond ATI TV Wonder HD 650 Comb,Plextor DVD-CD burner,Patriot PS-100 SSD 32gb ,WD 500gb 32mg,Antec Twelve Hundred Full Tower,Antec True Power Quattro 1000watts,Toshiba 40in 1080p for a monitor

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Mon, Jun 20 2011 9:00 PM

OptimusPrimeTime:
"So what you are saying is that , to overclock the K Chips, All I have to do is increase the multiplier manually?? So what about the voltages, do they increase themselves automatically? Isn't that what the auto option in the Bios does.As you can tell, I don't mess around with assembling my own PC nor play with settings, I mean, that's the purpose of the new User friendly interface EUFI, to make things as easy as possible and take out the guess work.

Yes, this is common knowledge. Intel linked all of the functions together and therefore increasing the BLCK would cause everything to overclock themselves; and yes, you do have to increase the voltage (obviously.) and if it's set on "Auto", they do increase themselves.

Also the purpose of UEFI is not to take out the guess work but to make the interface easier and more flashier to use. I mean there was a setting in the BIOS of the Maximus III GENE that applied an overclock without you having to do most of the guess work; and tell me, did all those overclocks have an unusually high voltage?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 341
Points 4,490
slugbug replied on Thu, Jun 23 2011 8:27 PM

I recently helped a friend build a P67 rig using an Asus P8P67 Evo board and was impressed at how easily it overclocked using the on board OC button.

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 340
notryan replied on Tue, Jun 28 2011 12:08 AM

I'm a big fan of Gigabyte mobos - every one of theirs that I've used has made it easy for me to OC. Their customer service has been great for me, too. They got a customer for life (or at least until their products start to go down the drain) in me.

wat

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 2,745
gazd1 replied on Fri, Sep 16 2011 1:50 PM

Even though I am late putting this post up, it gave me information about the P67 based motherboards.Smile I have decided that the Z68 is okay, but at this moment I'm tending towards getting an Asus P8P67 ws workstation. If I don't get this now, than I will most probably get the Ivy Bridge & Panther Point chipset combination in approximately 6 months or more.  Also does anybody know if the nVidia NF200 in the Asus P8P67 ws workstation is worth it to get or should I just do the x8,x8 sli approach & buy a Z68 chipset model. Maybe the Asus P8Z68 deluxe.Wink  Just to let you all know, I have been already to Toms Hardware & I don't trust them much at all.Cool  Just leave a post up here & I will come back to read this within the next few days or earlier, thank you.Smile

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 5:39 PM

I have tremendous respect for the people who take on building a great computer themselves. the amount of research that goes into this proccess is huge. nobody wants to get ripped off but everyone wants that steal of a deal item. I thank you for the great comprehensive guide to motherboards i now have a more clear idea on what i want in my next computer.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 5:43 PM

this product scares em a little. it looks like a high end board from a fairly new company. but the fact that the user manual is larger than some full length novels reminds me of pre pong days. iam aprehensive of this model.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 5:50 PM

the second asus motherboard offered is one that has caught my eye, with fantastic proccesing ability it does everything possible to conserve power and maximize speed. this is a high quality luxory mother board

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

Akundson can you please stop double and triple posting on things? It is a one reply deal, if you want to add more to you post and forgot you can use the edit button on the side. But please stop double and triple posting "spamming" to get your post count up. thanks!

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Page 1 of 1 (28 items) | RSS