Bigfoot Networks Brings Advanced Stream Detect To More Products

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,782
Points 1,162,605
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Jun 12 2011 1:48 PM
Bigfoot's loose...again! Not that Bigfoot, but Bigfoot Networks. Every year right around this time, the company comes out with something new and fresh, and it's no different this time around. The company's latest is Advanced Stream Detect, which is now available for those who purchased the Killer 2100 and E2100. In fact, the ASD technology is now available for all of its networking platforms including Killer E2100 embedded networking platforms, Killer 2100 add-in cards and the Killer Wireless-N family of wireless networking adapters.

Advanced Stream Detect now classifies all network traffic automatically and prioritizes streams which are particularly sensitive to network performance, such as HD video, online games, video and audio conferencing, voice chat and more. As a result of this unprecedented network intelligence, users can watch HD video while downloading large files, send instant messages and play games simultaneously, or navigate the Web while video conferencing without all of the pausing and stuttering associated with slower, less intelligent networking solutions.

We have to wonder if Killer products will remain alone in this industry; it's obvious that people are into products that make online gameplay less herky-jerky, but is it really possible that Bigfoot has this locked down? Time shall tell, we suppose.
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Sun, Jun 12 2011 4:03 PM

They are the only company I have heard of that offer great network card solutions built specifically for gamers. I am going to jump onto this though because I really dislike trying to download a game patch and watch youtube at the same time with all the buffering and pausing.

"I have the power!!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 40,505
Inspector replied on Sun, Jun 12 2011 4:21 PM

Nice, i remember when they made it to prioritize that cloud gaming company back a few months ago. Now it will do it for all games! :D

I might just pick this up as soon as i have the cash :)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"I hope that Gigabyte's approach into incorporating Bigfoot's Killer NIC cards into their motherboards , catches on with other vendors as well. The Advanced Stream Detect is a killer feature, +1."

-Optimus

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Sun, Jun 12 2011 8:01 PM

I've never used or seen any reviews of the Bigfoot killer network cards, maybe HH should do one?

Is the difference between these network cards compared to "unprioritized" internet filtering really that much of a difference?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 216
Points 2,135
SmogHog replied on Sun, Jun 12 2011 8:44 PM

This is a company that is great at marketing hype and grossly overcharging for products that don't perform any better than stock implamentations.

I'd really like to see some professionally done testing of their products especially their rebadged Atheros wireless cards.

A fool and their money are soon parted - Thomas Tusser

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

I have heard many mixed things about the Killer NIC cards some say they really make a difference and others say not so much. Now what they are doing with the Advanced Stream Detect feature they are offering is real and I can see it as being very effective. The question is if other vendors will support their QoS system since there are already standards in place for providing this type of service on the internet.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sun, Jun 12 2011 9:13 PM

OptimusPrimeTime:
"I hope that Gigabyte's approach into incorporating Bigfoot's Killer NIC cards into their motherboards , catches on with other vendors as well. The Advanced Stream Detect is a killer feature, +1."

Well... ASUS and MSI has teased about incorporating Killer NIC's onto their motherboard but so far, nothing as of yet.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Mon, Jun 13 2011 2:51 AM

SmogHog:
This is a company that is great at marketing hype and grossly overcharging for products that don't perform any better than stock implamentations.

I'd really like to see some professionally done testing of their products especially their rebadged Atheros wireless cards.

A fool and their money are soon parted - Thomas Tusser

I think a simple Google search will find that there are reviews for the Killer 2100 out there.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Fast forward to 2012........Microsoft buys out Bigfoot and impliments it into Windows 8 :P

this seems more like something that your OS should be doing for you!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

animatortom:
this seems more like something that your OS should be doing for you!

It certainly is something your OS should be doing for you. When IPv6 becomes more prevalent this will be handled much more by the network hardware. The QoS implementation in IPv6 is much more robust. The overhead is not that much that the CPU can't handle it but the software that Killer is running seems to be the major player in there cards.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105
This is kinda reminds me of all those entitlement advocates who think that the gvmnt should do everything for you. Then all it does is garner the power like fingerprinting your kids, or coping a feel at the airport and ignore the vital stuff like identity theft protection or national security!  Then tell you everything is fine, "these are not the droids you are looking for!"

There are many simple basic issues that Os's should handle and I think Stream prioritizing is definitely one of them. The hardware should only have to worry about its own tasks, that would also clear up alot of driver compatibility issues (if the card is getting a signal from the OS saying run 50 video files the GPU should at least get a detect on which one is first). It shouldn't be to much to ask to have your OS detect which windows are on top, pause all non-vital services like cursor and window animations to prioritize the currently playing stream! Especially if the window is maximized :P
Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Jun 15 2011 6:33 PM

I keep hearing about IPv6 being the wave of the future but nothing has come out of it yet. Hell most of the major IP providers I've used have still used IPv4 and nothing of IPv6.

There has got to be a major push for IPv6, I understand there are benefits to it but only if your using it natively; as in your using an IPv6 address provided by your ISP.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS