Projekt Nbox

This post has 16 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 750
RSmith Posted: Thu, Jun 9 2011 1:54 AM

You can check out pix and complete spex on my Mods Rigs page.

For those who want to know before making the jump:

Motherboard EVGA 780i SLI 132-CK-NF78-A1
CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Frequency: 2.83 GHz FSB / QPI: 1414.2 MHz Multiplier: 6.0 x Stepping: A Rev. E0
VCore: 1.32 v VTT Voltage: 0 v PLL Voltage: 0 v
RAM Patriot 8GB PGS24G6400ELK DDR2-800 PC6400
Frequency: 800 MHz Timing: 5-5-5-12 Voltage: 1.9 v
Graphics Card EVGA 8800GTX 768-P2-N831-AR 768mb PCI-E
GPU Frequency: 576 MHz Shader Frequency: 1350 MHz Memory Frequency: 900 MHz SLI: Yes
Power Supply Corsair CMPSU-850TX
Hard Drive Samsung F3 HD502HJ 500GB (x2 in RAID 0)
Case Cooler Master NV690
Heatsink Zalman CNPS9700NT
Cooling Cooler Master Stock Fans: 1x80mm Silent, 2x120mm Silent, 1x120mm LED
Cooling Yate Loon D12SH-12 120mm Side Fan for GPU cooling
Keyboard HP Basic Compaq Media Center KB
Mouse Logitech LX3 Corded Optical
Sound Altec Lansing Basic 2.1 Speakers with Subwoofer
Sound Realtek 7.1 Channel, Azalia (HDA)
Monitor Proview 22" LCD
CD/DVD Samsung SH-S222A IDE DVD Burner
CD/DVD H & L Lightscribe DVD Burner
OS Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I'm also currently working on some modz to this machine.  Some minor, some major and some moderate.  Here's what I have so far:

1st mod (minor):  I took out the foam filters in the front drive bays and replaced them with UV GREEN card stock, and backed them with cardboard.  From the outside (where it counts most!) one can't even tell.  I got tired of those pesky "filters" collecting tons of dust and serving me no positive purpose whatsoever.  All they did was let dust get sucked in from more places than necessary (is it ever really necessary actually?  lol).

<pix will go here once I remember to upload them to photobucket, lol.>

2nd Mod (major/moderate): A current work-in-progress.  I'm really going to take my time with this one and figure out the absolute best approaches all-around.  I've decided, per necessity and recommendation (lol), to make a fan shroud for the 120mm Yate-Loon side panel fan on the left side panel.  When I installed the fan initially, I had to take off the steel mesh grill/filter that was on it, due to the fan noise, excessive heat issues and the fan having to work harder than necessary.  The big issue here, however, is that it's very annoying how much dust this thing sucks into this machine!  The fan is mounted in the perfect spot to pull air straight in between the dual 8800GTX's I have installed (the bottom GTX gets it's cool air from a bottom-mounted 92mm CM fan on the case, which sucks air up from underneath the case).  So far, this is what I have.
This pic displays it's purpose, lol

Here's what I'll be using as the primary functional piece for this shroud and filter setup, an empty cake box from a 25-pack of DVD+R (and quite possibly the clear disc protector from the bottom of the spindle)

This is the cake box disassembled, all 3 pieces displayed

I took off the side panel and then took the fan off as well, which currently I have mounted with vinyl push-rivets.  BUT I'll end up screwing this whole thing to the panel and fan once finished, it's the only way it'll work and I'm ok with that :)  After I took it apart, I cleaned it and then traced the holes carefully (had to push down a lot cuz of the vinyl push-rivets holding the window in, which is how it comes in-box).

Finally, after a lot of careful deliberation, drawing, tracing and measuring, I was able to come up with this.  I also, with the aforementioned process, put the measurements for the spindle base (for the cake box) on there as well, which you can see in the pic.  I made numeric notations as well and a general focus notation or 2 :)

More to come soon, hopefully.  This is going to be a slow and time-consuming projekt work, mostly due to my limited resources (I'm currently unemployed and my family and I have to presently rely on my wife's income only for the time being).  I'm also going to be taking a lot of time to work on conceptual work for this, as I've not fully settled on exactly where to go with this.  All I know is that it's going to have a removable filter, holes for the air to flow (from outside, thru the filter, and to the fan), and will be black and Lime/UV GREEN.  I'm not 100% on all materials either.

Btw, the main reason I'm going with the cake box is that it's an abundance that we have here, though this is the only one of this small a size (would've liked smaller actually, but oh well), but the other big reason is it's ease-of-use.  I can twist it on n off when I need to clean it and/or replace the filter .
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Jun 9 2011 5:39 PM

Certainly interesting but it's nothing more then a simple case mod.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 750
RSmith replied on Fri, Jun 10 2011 1:53 AM

Well the whole point of this thread is to show my most current PC and the improvements I'm making to it, both functional and aesthetic.  Glad you find it interesting, but a little less rudeness would kindly be appreciated.  Thank you.  Cool

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Tue, Jun 14 2011 1:29 PM

hey thanks for the great posting and sharing the quality pics of your efforts with your mod.. Thanks and much appreciated taking the time to share and post. Some times the simple, creative use of common things can make quite a difference. Maybe you are like me and hang on to those cake-box parts to recycle them for some later & productive use..

a  most clever way to use the built-in twist to remove and clean the filter and I agree 

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 750
RSmith replied on Thu, Jun 16 2011 9:00 AM

Much thanks, now I just need to resize pix, and get back to crackin' on this thing, lol.

Edit: I WAS going to resize the pix, but realized that this is the ONLY forum/site that they look that way, so I'm not going to do that.  However, should you decide to just look at the pix outright, my photobucket folder for this projekt is here.

Again, thanks for looking!

Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 750
RSmith replied on Sun, Jun 26 2011 2:39 AM

Ok guys n gals, I have a small but slightly important update tonight/this am, lol.

I made the proper adjustments to the diagram, as having only 4 cog blades didn't really make any sense, and I didn't want this to be anything plain or ordinary, so i went with 8, especially for symmetry.  1 of my inspirations, but only on the cog type is the Gears of War logo, but again, as I said, it's just the cog style/type.  Standard round w/8 blades.  Anyway, it also is originally the inspiration for my gaming clan's emblem, of which I'm also currently working on a new design for, but my avatar is what we've used for awhile now, but I feel it needs to be something completely original, wherein the current one is actually the logo for Timesplitters 4 (or was supposed to be anyway), and was a parody image of the GoW logo.  I'm still going to use the 8-bladed round cog, however I'll be reinventing the logo to something totally original, that's only been inspired by the GoW and TS4 logos.

Well, on with the show.  First up, I have a couple of scans of the revised cog diagram.
A somewhat dulled-down image, but shows more of the actual image all-around:

A better defined, sharper image, showing more details of the outside and the design of the blades w/mounting holes:

Next we have pix of the diagram refresh next to the cardstock copy, before I cut the copy out with my exacto, upon which I then mounted it for display:

After I cut it out:

2 shots of the cog wheel mounted alone w/vinyl push rivets.
Slightly more afar, angled:

Slightly closer, more direct:

Finally, I have pix of the mounted cardstock cog, along with the cakebox set n top of it to show what it looks like so far.  Note that I'm not using the cardstock for final result, but am just using it now to give myself and you (the audience) a better understanding and fresh mindset of what I'm doing with this.
And now, some pix, from left side view to right side view, of the cog wheel w/cakebox:

That's it for now folks, but it is coming along.  With the way the weather's supposed to be, I'm hoping to make a few trips to storage this Tuesday or Wednesday, especially since this past Friday the weather sucked.  As soon as I can, I have to get a lot of things out to sell in a yard sale and also stuff to mod with, but it's going to be tough if I can't get a new drill, cuz I'll need one to do any more modding, and heck, to even do housework n repairs.  Anyhoo, I'll update this as often as I possibly can, but for now, thanks for watching!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Sun, Jun 26 2011 2:59 AM

hey RSmith nice to see ya back at it ..so it's a double post oh well

yep the weather has been a bit funky for lot's of us lately and yep your correct it is also garage sale season as well & a good time to get creative and be on the look-out for some handy do it yourself tips.& stuff.Fortunately for you and some other Home Remodeling Warriors there's a lighter side all of this and you can find out a bit more here

http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/p/50492/401244.aspx#401244

See there is a lighter side to all this technical stuff Smile and hope you have a lot of fun with your mod  ..looking forward to it  >>  hanging out >> having some fun with us as well.

hey RSmith good to see ya !

Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 750
RSmith replied on Mon, Jun 27 2011 3:58 AM

Idk what this forum's issue is, I didn't double post and it didn't show up like that last night, grr.  I'm a little irritated by how annoying this thing is, lol.  Anyway, glad to see you're still looking up on this :), and I just now decided to go ahead and post a banner for the mod too.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Tue, Jun 28 2011 2:31 PM

That is pretty cool.  I always thought it was interesting how people come up with such varied ideas to mod their PC cases.  Certainly takes some creativity and planning Yes

"I have the power!!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Tue, Jun 28 2011 5:51 PM

you got that right lBowen !! ... been watching this one from the get-go, not only for the creativity but the drawings are very  impressive to me as well.

looks like RSimith got's some drafting skill mojo working and looking forward too seeing more.

Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 750
RSmith replied on Fri, Jul 1 2011 12:38 AM

Well, a slight update, but one I'm not too happy to report on.  We went to storage yesterday, and well, we're rather miffed about it.  All things looked great at first, until we realized that we ended up losing a couch, an end table (goes with bedroom set, 1 is fine, the other is not), a tv stand a tv cart, plus a couple of boxes of boxed foods that we were temporarily storing until yesterday when we planned on bringing it home... all to mildew.  That's what we've found so far, and we're only 50% of the way in.  Called the Storage owner and they came out, we found out the source of the issue and they're supposed to be fixing it, but the big issues are now these:

1: they're letting us take another unit that's better designed... but 7 units away from the current one, of which we have to move all of our stuff from old one to new one.

2: That doesn't help to account for the losses thus far, and potential loss that we've yet to find.

The couch is pretty much ruined, even tho it appears that only 1 corner is affected, it's a fabric-covered couch and I don't trust that the rest of it's ok now that this has happened, and I really liked that couch, it's very comfy!  The TV stand and cart i was actually going to sell in the yard sale, and the end tables were going to be brought home with us too, and aren't made any more, so I can't just go and get another one.  It's a 6-yr-old bedroom set.  I'm just glad that so far that's all, but all the PC cases I had in there have to be cleaned now cuz of mildew, as well as 1 of the fully-functioning Athlon XP machines I have in there too, there's mildew ALL OVER the inside of it, which will be a very tedious cleaning process, and I'm NOT looking forward to it whatsoever.

On a lighter note, I DID find some of the things, but not all of, what I went there looking for.  Threw away some things that needed thrown away, and we were able to start sorting thru stuff finally, but this mildew issue is a major setback.  Oh, and they're letting us use both units til we can get it all moved and it's all fixed, but there's no way I'm moving it back to the other unit, and we also are being given free storage rental for now.  I'm not looking forward to seeing what other damage may have been done, but so far I'm doing my best to be optimistic, really I am.

Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 750
RSmith replied on Fri, Jul 8 2011 1:18 AM

"Oh Meatwaaaaaad, it's uuuuupdaaaaate tiiiiiime!!!"  lol

Anyway, how y'all doing today?  I'm doing pretty ok.  We spent Wednesday going thru storage again, and I have mostly good news to report.  While there was more loss due to mildew, it was pretty minimal and I was able to save the vast majority of my belongings.  Plus, we were able to go thru n sort thru my stuff a lot more as well.  There's still a LOT that has to be done, but my fiance and I are pushing really hard to get as much done as fast as we can do it.

Furthermore, I was able to find my UV green acrylic circles (woot!), as well as numerous other things.  I'm hoping to be able to update this thread with a more finished shroud very soon, but due to all that has to be done in storage and here at home, it's gonna likely be a lil while.  Rest assured, however, it will be done.  I'm so tired of having to leave projects unfinished when it comes to my own stuff.

And now for some teaser pics, sorta ;)

This 1st pic is of the stack of 7 acrylic discs I have in UV green.  Note how the light illuminates the top one's edge.  I plan to experiment with this a little bit with 1 of these discs due to it already being cracked in a way that won't allow me to use it in this particular projekt component anyway.  You'll see what I mean when I post about it later on.  My goal is to have the UV green acrylic not only illuminate in green, but also to be opaque or at least between opaque and translucent.  Currently it's more transparent, and that simply just won't do for this particular need.  Anyway, here's pic #1:

Pic #2 is me holding 1 of the discs to where one can get a view of the edge.  Also included are the diagram and paper of which I'm laying it all out upon for this particular viewing.

Pic #3 is of the disc lying flat on top of the green cut-out diagram I've used for the template-of-sorts:

Pix 4 and 5 are just 2 different angles showing an idea of how it looks thus far with the cakebox sitting atop the acrylic circle, with the green cut-out underneath it, to show the gear design.

Thanks for tuning in!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Fri, Jul 8 2011 9:08 AM

thanks for the update and nice to hear that the damage was not all that bad ! come to think of it downsizing at times can a be good thing too.

like the teaser pics so far and looks to me like someone has some tie-dye  mojo working too.

Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 750
RSmith replied on Thu, Sep 8 2011 3:35 PM

Just a small update here.

This projekt is not dead by any means, it's on temporary hiatus, however.  I hate doing that, but it happens all too often when one doesn't have the time, money, or especially in my case where it's both and on top of that, I recently got sick too :(  I'm still dealing with it, not sure if it's just a cold or the flu or what, but it sucks regardless.

Just thought I'd give peeps a heads-up, thanks for checking it out!  Later peeps!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Thu, Sep 8 2011 3:45 PM

RSmith:

Just a small update here...........................................Just thought I'd give peeps a heads-up, thanks for checking it out!  Later peeps!

hey RSmith thanks for the update and sure hope you are feeling better soon !

cya !

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

Agreed, hope you feel better. Looking forward to when your time/piggy banks are full.

Now you're just mashing it!

Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 750
RSmith replied on Thu, Nov 10 2011 10:46 PM

Got an email from Photobucket stating that I've gone over my allotted 10GB bandwidth limit, which will reset on the 19th, friggin' jagoffs.  Anyway, if you've been tryi9ng to get views on my modlogs, please take note of this.  Btw, Photobucket sucks for this crap.  I'm not paying a bunch of money to "upgrade" to more bandwidth, especially when it appears to be far too easy to have such an issue as this.  I might just be switching to Flickr soon.  Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS