Microsoft Releases Wireless Desktop 2000 Keyboard / Mouse Bundle

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,345
Points 1,191,290
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Jun 5 2011 10:12 PM
Keyboards. Can't live with 'em, and can't live without 'em. We all yearn for an easier way to input commands, but even after all of these years, a QWERTY keyboard still trumps most everything else in terms of speed and accuracy. Until we all get brain interfaces built into our skulls, the keyboard is apt to remain a major part of our lives, and Microsoft is apt to be a major provider for quite some while.

The company's latest is the Wireless Desktop 2000, which incorporates Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) 128-bit technology to help secure your personal and business information by encrypting what you type. It's not often you find this in a keyboard, but sure enough, it's here. The keyboard is paired with the Wireless Mouse 2000 sporting BlueTrack Technology for smooth tracking on virtually any surfacee (except glass), and Win7 Taskbar Favorites for easy toggling between applications and a pillow-textured palm rest for added comfort.

The price? $40, and it's yours.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670

"Until we all get brain interfaces built into our skulls"

I'll take one! :D

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 265

Looks really nice... It's time for me to get an upgrade anyway and 40 bones is not bad.

I wonder if Best Buy has them.

I may have a reason to get out of the house today.

p.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Thats the mouse I currently have, and gets uncomfortable after a few hours. Just wish they could design a mouse that fits a guys palm! It seems like all mice are made for japanese women :P

They really need to make all keyboards with backlighting! Since I have gotten my Saitek, it wonder how I ever gotten by without it. Even in low light settings it makes things much easier on the eyes and really eases eye strain when working or gaming throughout the night!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Mon, Jun 6 2011 11:36 PM

got to agree with animatortom > I am not to sure about the mouse because I have been using a CM Spawn lately. But having the possible bundle option to feature a back lit keyboard would be the way to go. Razer Lycossa here I just have gotten so accustomed to the slight visuals of the backlit keys it's practically a must have.for me these days.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Mon, Jun 6 2011 11:43 PM

Looks sleek but I don't think it's going to be luring me from Logitech anytime soon.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 261
Points 2,555

I still prefer using a wired mouse over a wireless mouse when I'm gaming on the computer. I had a wireless Logitech mouse that would work fine for a few hours of gaming... but after that I had to replace the batteries or else I'd start aiming like a newbie with mouse settings to slow-mo.

@animatortom - Someone should start a company that made custom mice... Nike can make shoes that fit just your feet, but the shoes are expensive. Why can't a company get measurements of your hand, then design and make a mouse just you? I know it won't be cheap but you're getting what you want for your gaming needs.

Never stop learning... until you're dead.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105
Couldn't agree more Omega!

That would probably prove to be a great start up company if the business environment was better for small businesses. It wouldn't take much to have people scan their hand and send it in, then model personal mice for each individual. With the current solid 3D modeling tools, even making molds would be easy.

It would also cut back on all the waste of overproduction of useless mice!
Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"Looks good and comfortable, and for $40, I give a a +1"

-Optimus 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Jun 7 2011 6:13 PM

omegadoom13:
Nike can make shoes that fit just your feet, but the shoes are expensive. Why can't a company get measurements of your hand, then design and make a mouse just you?

You aware that mice are not the same things as shoes right. It's going to take a lot of R&D time to create a mouse that can easily be interchangeable with the measurements of your customers hands; I'm guessing you could get Logitech to back you if you were the luckiest man in the world.

Again, technology and shoes are radically different.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"Then I recommend the Cyrborg R.A.T 9 , it states that the R.A.T. 9 "can quickly and easily adapt by adjusting in length to suit your hand size and grip style. In addition, the Thumb Panel of the R.A.T. 9 moves forwards, backwards, and pivots outwards."

-Optimus

http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/rat9.htm

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105
Whoa Taylor, ever the pessimist? They can produce mice just like shoes, they just chose not to.

Shoes-You have an arch support, heel, sole, and laces.
Mice-You have two buttons, tilt wheel, optical reader.

The difference is that they just chose to over produce mice that don't fit people instead of focusing on making production practical.

This is actually a great idea and I think Hot Hardware should trademark this idea because it will be the next step in input device production.

If people are willing to pay upwards to 200 for a gaming mouse, then getting one made to order is the next logical step. Just look at all the crap they have come out with since the eighties. I have a box full of trackball, wireless, experimental mice that even then cost over 150 in the nineties. I am just surprised that all those crazy environmentalist wouldn't be clamoring for something like this. It would reduce overproduction and greatly reduce waste of all the crappy mice that people try then throw out after six months. With current production capabilities it would actually be easier to digitally design a shell/per individual then insert the core components. The 3D printers can even produce parts with moving parts! http://www.desktopfactory.com/ So you could probably get away with just giving the mold a carbon coat and have the finished product. Individual production costs would be cut dramatically, and waste and overseas production would be a thing of the past!

Or am I just missing the point and five different companies should keep producing 30 different models of mice, with production runs of 500,000Ea per Yr, with hopes that one of each model might fit one person correctly? At least with shoes they reverse that thinking and produce multiple sizes in hopes that they find multiple different sized users. Could you imagine if they only produced one size of shoe and told people they just have to accept it!
So lets start a new company, founded through Hot Hardware?
Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,917
Points 24,655

TaylorKarras:

omegadoom13:
Nike can make shoes that fit just your feet, but the shoes are expensive. Why can't a company get measurements of your hand, then design and make a mouse just you?

You aware that mice are not the same things as shoes right. It's going to take a lot of R&D time to create a mouse that can easily be interchangeable with the measurements of your customers hands; I'm guessing you could get Logitech to back you if you were the luckiest man in the world.

Again, technology and shoes are radically different.

Definitely true, these folks tried it like 5 years ago and their site is dormant.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS