24: HotHardware's Two and A Half Geeks Webcast - June 3, 2011

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,877
Points 1,116,510
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jun 3 2011 11:11 AM

23: HotHardware's Two and A Half Geeks Webcast - May 30, 2011In this latest episode of HotHardware's Two and a Half Geeks Dave, Iyaz and Marco discuss Micron's blisteringly fast PCIe RealSSD P320h, Microsoft's revamped Windows 8 UI demo, the Pandigital Novel 7 eReader and tablet, HP's Elitebook 8560p and exciting details regarding our "Dads and Grads" Gaming Rig Give-Away!

Show Notes:
01:12 - Micron Demos PCIe RealSSD P320h, Achieves Over 3GB/s Of Sustained Throughput
06:08 - Microsoft Demos Revamped Windows 8 UI, Reveals More OS Details
09:42 - Pandigital Novel 7" Android Tablet & eReader Review
14:51 - Hewlett Packard EliteBook 8560p Notebook Review
19:45 - HotHardware's "Dads and Grads" Gaming Rig Give-Away!

• | Post Points: 200
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

Great webcast guys, always enjoyable. I want to play the drinking game where I drink whenever you call the pandigital cheap!!! Looking forward to you guys getting the ssd in your hands, I"m excited that the controller can handle all of the storage and its not in a raid.

On a side note, HP does make an EliteBook Mobile Workstation too that has a firepro and quadro option if you want some more power under the hood. I really like the squared look of these new hp's. We are in the market for a new pc laptop and since we only use hp I'm assuming we are in the market for an EliteBook, after reading the review I'm looking forward to it.

Killer contest rig!!! Thanks again to all of the sponsors for making this available. I'm excited for the build video! I think you should add some early 90's rap and slow motion scenes to spice it up a bit.

Now you're just mashing it!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 261
Points 2,555

Great webcast! My first time watching a Two and A Half Geeks Webcast... great reviews hitting the important highlights. Webcast didn't feel too long because you guys made it fun and fast. Nice job! Looking forward to the next one!

Never stop learning... until you're dead.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 29,610

Wahoo. Can't wait to see what you guys can do putting together the PC for the contest.

It is always nice to see new enterprise technology being involved in both the enterprise and enthusiast communities. Server hardware always makes it into enthusiasts hands eventually.

@Drake that would be a good drinking game... I bet Geralt would win though.

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 430
RMedley replied on Fri, Jun 3 2011 1:01 PM

Good as usual, though I really don't know if you can still call it 2.5 geeks anymore as liaz does not seem as a 1/2 geek at all anymore, even correcting you two at times, not to mention if that computer is what he had when he graduated he is about the same age as me (my first self built PC was PII 400.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Fri, Jun 3 2011 1:12 PM

Why does this thing recognize me as a different name when I log in on the Fbook twitter thing, Hmmmmm! Anyway great as usual. Those HP notebooks are nice especially in a business or knowledgeable user outlook. You could maintenance a whole companies laptops on a regular basis when they are set up that way every 4-6 months or whatever.

The Pandigital device I can see the point in it is for a general consumer who just wants something to catch them up a bit technology wise so they can use some of these "newer" to the general consumer things. I know I would not want on, but I can see someone at Wally world or Target` picking one up and buying it.

I am excited about the Windows 8 OS it seems M$ is actually turning there brain back on to some point. I am not criticizing WIN7, but the have to get more interactive and they need to do it seamlessly. In fact I am gonna pop into the dev portal and see if I can grab a beta yet. I also have the Office 365 which is an interesting thing that plugs straight in to Win 8 and is a cloud office. However, I have never really been able to log into it and I need to get someone to reset it. The log in for it is a bear!

That Micron SSD sounds like it is just amazing I am looking forward to a review on it from DAVE!

As for the dad's and grads thing well I have 3 daughters one of which is going to college in August. So I may need to get in on this PC contest in a big way as I seriously doubt I will be getting any new Hard Ware after that.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Fri, Jun 3 2011 1:16 PM

:45-1:25 had me rolling with laughter. Good to see when everyone enjoys what they do. That SSD is crazy fast and I expect it will be awhile until the average consumer can afford the hardware but at least this will mean the current SSD options should continue to lower in price and become more affordable.

Microsoft is going to have to continue trying to find ways to stay ahead of the game and streamlining their next OS to be readily available on all the various platforms like smartphone, xbox 360, pc, etc. will keep their products fresh and current with all of their consumers.

The Pandigital e-reader is good for the user that really has to watch their budget and wants a tablet. It's great to have options but I think better to save longer and get a tablet that is more responsive and powerful.

The Dad's and Grad's giveaway is insanely awesome. The case is amazing and feature-filled, and all the components are top of the line. I can't wait to see the video of the build and the completed project. Thanks to all of the sponsors and Dave and Marco for another great giveaway!! I have my fingers crossed for this one.

"I have the power!!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,515

Nice show guys. I have to agree with Marco about the Pantech tablet. I can see how a e-book reader priced android tablet could be popular with people who want the software but dont want to spend hundreds of dollars. Wonder if you can overclock it?

As for the micron SSD...wow thats insane. Cant wait to get the downlow on the contoller for that puppy, cant wait till it trickles down to consumers too...

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,477
Points 53,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Jun 3 2011 3:51 PM

Glad you liked the show, folks! We finally caught a groove again with the technical setup, so at least the AV quality is good now. ;)

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,477
Points 53,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Jun 3 2011 4:46 PM

Shhh.. don't tell anyone! :)

Editor In Chief

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310

lol, so much fun going on there :P. Thanks for the great round up! Keep it up.

Not Ranked
Posts 71
Points 790
EHarler replied on Fri, Jun 3 2011 6:21 PM

First time listening to your podcast, and I liked it! I'm eager to see my future machine being built!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965

looking forward to seeing when you guys get your hands on that micron ssd.

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,477
Points 53,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Jun 3 2011 7:00 PM

Good to have you with us, EHarler! Like the positive vibes dude!

Editor In Chief

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,365
Points 30,865
rrplay replied on Fri, Jun 3 2011 11:12 PM

I think the things for me that i noticed after watching this one the second time is how  smooth the discussion and viewpoints were shared regarding the various articles.So I guess that a great  vidcast with a genuine discussion about new products and developments is always a good thing to supplement the articles especially when my eyes and ears can be easily opened & changed to allow different perspectives..To me that's what a great community is all about.

.Gotta love the way Marco ''chimes' a bit on the Pandigital tablet at about 119.00 bucks it';s pre=visioned in use on the family coffee table for a casual read or some mail &  surf.That HP netbook sure fits the demanding road professional and hope that other manufacturers follow suit with the accessibility to the chassis.

oooopss ! can't actually comment about a pc in my college skool days .....oh well

Sill looking on with anticipation of Marco building that very sweet AMD machine ! in an upcoming video..

thanks

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 3,015

I'm with Dave i love the pcie ssds I'll be waiting to see were it comes up on the hot meter

also i just posted in storage a link to article wear they are using phase change in a ssd which made it 7 x faster than any thing on the market is this the same technology type.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS