Google Chromebook Tips Up Early, Sells Out Fast

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,480
Points 1,196,090
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Jun 2 2011 12:10 PM
In what's likely a hint of things to come, limited quantities of Samsung's Chromebook running Google's Chrome OS went on sale yesterday a full two weeks ahead of the official launch and quickly sold out. The Chrome Team sent out emails to select users with a link to the Gilt Groupe, an online retailer that offers instant access to top designer labels at big discounts. Gilt doesn't often deal with tech, but apparently worked out a deal to deliver a select number of trendy Chromebooks.

If you didn't receive an email, you can still get through by registering here. Unfortunately, whatever stock Gilt had is now depleted, though you can add your name to the "Wait List" in case more units become available.

It's not surprising that the highly anticipated Chromebook sold out so quickly, save for the fact that the one being offered up for sale was the high-end Series 5 with 3G by Samsung. Specs include:
  • 12.1-inch display (1280x800)
  • Intel Atom N570 processor (1.66GHz)
  • 2GB DDR3 memory
  • Integrated graphics
  • 16GB SSD (mSATA)
  • 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi
  • Verizon 3G WWAN
  • Two USB 2.0 ports
  • 4-in-1 memory card reader
  • Mini-VGA port
  • up to 8.5 hours of continuous usage
The 3G model also includes up to 100MB per month of Mobile Broadband service for 2 years, provided by Verizon. This particular model runs $500, which with a little bargain hunting is enough to score a 15.6-inch Windows-based notebook.

If you missed your chance to score a Samsung Chromebook, don't fret, the official launch is just ahead on June 15.
  • | Post Points: 215
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,515
pwrntspd replied on Thu, Jun 2 2011 12:16 PM

Sorry I dont buy intel Atoms.....

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Atom processors are really slow but they probably do have enough power to run the chromeOS though as soon as you start getting into flash content or multiple browser windows with flash content it will bog down.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 71
Points 790
EHarler replied on Thu, Jun 2 2011 4:14 PM

Next generation of Atom aka Sandy bridge will surely boost these chromebooks. As much as I like Google, it doesn't seem to solve any of my needs.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Jun 2 2011 4:41 PM

I agree that the next generation of Atom will boost things considerably but considering that the OS is just the Chrome web browser by itself and I assume that the OS has been programmed to be small in size and efficient in productivity; I assume it'll do just fine on these first-generation Chromebooks.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 261
Points 2,555

I'm liking everyone's comments so far. Good points. I wonder how long Samsung/Google can maintain this buying frenzy.

Never stop learning... until you're dead.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,796
Points 40,655

How much stock did they have to be sold out is the questions here :P 1 doesn't count xD

And ya its only running chromeOS as its main feature so i don't see why you would need a super processor :) if you need that this is really not for you in the first place.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 261
Points 2,555

New tech stuff tends to be pricey at the beginning.  I hope, with time, it becomes more affordable for everyone else.  

Never stop learning... until you're dead.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 170

sexy.. i'm really impressed with samsung as of late.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,515

Sure i guess it doesnt need that much power, but even so, i like to have options as to what i can run. Atom somewhat limits that, course so does the fact that its a chrome book.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

I want to see how quick and lean Chrome will be as a stand alone OS. If the browser is anything to go by it should be nice.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

I would agree the ChromeOS is small and will run well but if you are a user like me who often has 10-12 tabs open with several of them running flash they this will simply not fly. Plus the target is HTML 5 applications which the chrome browser support many of these will surly suck up more processing power then the average web page.

At this point they can keep their Chromebook :P

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Jun 2 2011 9:12 PM

omegadraco:

I would agree the ChromeOS is small and will run well but if you are a user like me who often has 10-12 tabs open with several of them running flash they this will simply not fly.

I have to agree with you; though it's more RAM related then anything else. The thing should have at least 4GBs standard, that's more then enough to support a huge number of tabs right?

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

"Sorry I dont buy intel Atoms....."

Sorry I dont buy Samsux! :P

Since Google tends to enjoy playing big brother more than Apple does, I really cant see supporting them into becoming a hardware manufacturer!

Besides, at that price why not just go with an IPad?

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Jun 3 2011 12:32 AM

I got one of those E-Mails and followed it just to see how much they wanted for it. $500.00 was way too much for me. That's more than many other options out there right now. This started as an idea about a LOW COST alternative to high priced Laptops. They've lost their way, it seems.

Also, "Gilt Groupe" started passing my E-Mail address out to other companies without my consent the very next day after I gave them my information. I opted out of everything today and put them on my SPAM list to be blocked.

A Chrome Notebook/Netbook is going to have to sell for a lot less before I'll even look at it. Otherwise, they want to keep it more than I want to buy it.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

I agree $500 is way too much the hardware is decent and I am sure you could manage to load windows on it if you wanted to. But why not just sell their OS and not try to push hardware on us at the same time. I would consider duel booting my more powerful laptop with Windows/ChromeOS if that were an option. As was pointed out in the article with some savvy shopping you can get a higher powered 15.6" laptop for the price.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 95

its a netbook and I find them all under powered and overpriced ..

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Fri, Jun 3 2011 7:44 PM

It's amazingly fast, on my beta unit. Full-screen flash video, no tearing... I was not expecting it to perform so well, or have a 9 hour battery life with an Atom.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

I am not surprised that it performs well. Typically when Google tries to accomplish something they do it well. I just don't see the need to purchase a piece of hardware simply for the operating system. I would be very happy to Duel boot the ChromeOS for those times that I want to quickly boot into an OS just to surf the web of course I always have Linux for that and more.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105
Well put Draco! Seems kinda silly that they are trying to break into the market that MS and Apple have cornered, especially since you can get a cheap Win7 machine and just dual it.

If they really wanted to hit the market running, they should offer us a completely secure machine that even google cant spy on. Or at least go with an American manufacturer to let people know that they are supporting the local economy and not making Korea stronger while China hacks Google software:P
Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,839
Points 45,835
rapid1 replied on Mon, Jun 6 2011 11:45 AM

I don't know if you look at WIndows 8 and the current/forthcoming office platform, then compare it (in usage platform) there are many similarities really at least in the back bone and capabilities. Much like the current question on the site on where we will compute from in 10 years the cloud kind of backs all the given possibilities even implants. So to me the obvious answer is the cloud, and through what medium is another question.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Page 1 of 1 (21 items) | RSS