HotHardware's "Dads and Grads" Gaming Rig Give-Away!

This post has 632 Replies | 22 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

The Thermaltake Level 10 is still a head turner one of a kind case.

Wonder what the wattage is on that power supply? I am sure it is up to snuff just curious.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 88
Points 890
shelley25 replied on Sat, Jun 18 2011 7:12 AM

kewl computer

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
jphoeniix replied on Sat, Jun 18 2011 7:49 AM

top panel would be very useful

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Sat, Jun 18 2011 7:56 AM

tick - tick -tick ...Consistency of Cool will likely appear in an upcoming HH vidcast from the Master's of Kewl ...building the Kewl 'n Awesome Tower.

Me kinda like's having a new word to play around with . and that's totally kCool Shelly Beer!

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 81
Points 600
deadmanet replied on Sat, Jun 18 2011 8:06 AM

By acarzt on Jun 1, 2011

Woooo finally traffic is gonna start picking up again!

I sure would like to win this :-)

Yeah me too. Although I have no chance at this one. I don't post often. I'm more of a "reader" than "talker."

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,087
Points 11,005
CDeeter replied on Sat, Jun 18 2011 8:26 AM

800 holy crap! You must have a large district to take care of.

What do they have you do - re-image them each year, or is it just routine maintenance?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,087
Points 11,005
CDeeter replied on Sat, Jun 18 2011 8:30 AM

lol now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,087
Points 11,005
CDeeter replied on Sat, Jun 18 2011 8:36 AM

Hmm Shelly just might win this one. Just look at all the entertainment she's given us, the incredible amount of responses to her timely posts! Genius and insidious.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,087
Points 11,005
CDeeter replied on Sat, Jun 18 2011 8:45 AM

Isn't it though? I love seeing enclosures that aren't just a box.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

I have to assume with the AMD conference that they have not had much time for anything else. Though I also can't wait until the build video.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 231
Points 3,280
PFeenstra replied on Sat, Jun 18 2011 10:26 AM

This contest is 100,000 times better than food poisoning... on that note, back to bed. ugh :(

oh yeah, stay away from the pork, it is tainted....owwww

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 990
Points 14,250
Manduh replied on Sat, Jun 18 2011 10:34 AM

whoa, way to mess up my day! I was so used to the routine and now I see "computer"?!! I just had to thumps up that one Shelly bahahaha!

PCAudioLabs Rok Box MC 7xs - Intel Core i7-2600K - Cooling: PCAL Quiet Operation - Gigabyte Z68 Motherboard - 16GB DDR3-1333 - AMD Radeon HD 5450 - Power Supply: 600 Watts - SRT Drive: Intel 311 SSD (20GB) - Primary Drive: 500GB, 7200RPM, 16MB cache - Audio Drive: 1TB, 7200RPM, 32MB cache - Sample Drive: 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB cache - OS: Windows 7 Professional x64

Not Ranked
Posts 39
Points 285
elkhorn replied on Sat, Jun 18 2011 11:05 AM

Thanks for another great contest HH. All your contests are awsome !!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Jun 18 2011 11:12 AM

CDeeter:
Hmm Shelly just might win this one. Just look at all the entertainment she's given us, the incredible amount of responses to her timely posts! Genius and insidious.

Don't rule out the possibility that it could be a he. Shelly could be a meaning for a gun you know.

It seems all we know about him/her is that he/she thinks that our computers are "kewl".

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,780
Points 40,565
Inspector replied on Sat, Jun 18 2011 12:07 PM

shelley25:

kewl computer

I giggled :P

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

Hmmm! Who would want such a system, loads of power, loads of electricity.....Green, far from it, but I don't care, I want, I want, I want.......my drooling has just broken my kyebrddee......Just keep wishing, just keep wishing......

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 3,015

hey just got back from NC been gone for week. man the post almost doubled, lot's of interest in this one and allot of new folks good for HH. got to go look around. see what i missed good luck !!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 231
Points 3,280
PFeenstra replied on Sat, Jun 18 2011 4:28 PM

Yeah my monitor is green enough, plus I've been suffering all summer saving money by not using my air conditioner, I'm allowed to splurge electrically.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,200
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Jun 18 2011 5:48 PM

I'm on a trip to Pennsylvania right now. We went to a grand nephew's graduation party today. Seldom have I seen such a spread of fine, home cooked food before. People were joking about losing weight just getting through the lengthy food line. Good people, great food, a wonderful time today.

Gonna build a PC for a friend and I have to order parts this coming week. I hope to find some good deals on parts for the guy,....also, I have to save enough cash to ship it to California from Virginia when it's built. Maybe I'll start a thread about it all tomorrow.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 3,015

very (Kewl) realneil glad to here you are having a good time and also hope the weather stays nice for you. will be looking forward to the build would like to see pic's and a list of part's

oh yeah ill be travailing through your neck of the woods next week any sites i should stop and see on the way through (try to make the trip a little more fun) if thats possible

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,200
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Jun 18 2011 6:28 PM

dadodgeson:
travailing through your neck of the woods next week any sites i should stop and see on the way through

Virginia is full of places to see. 

Civil War Battlegrounds, Parks, send me your route, and I'll advise you further.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 3,015

realneil:

dadodgeson:
travailing through your neck of the woods next week any sites i should stop and see on the way through

Virginia is full of places to see. 

Civil War Battlegrounds, Parks, send me your route, and I'll advise you further.

10/4 i will look it up tonight and pm you later

Not Ranked
Posts 63
Points 945

Wheres the floppy drive?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,780
Points 40,565
Inspector replied on Sat, Jun 18 2011 11:45 PM

analogmonster:

Wheres the floppy drive?

Sorry, i already won it... :P LOL

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,087
Points 11,005
CDeeter replied on Sun, Jun 19 2011 12:35 AM

Ooooo that would be dastardly. Hmmm. How to find out?

Must be a way to get Him/Her to use full sentences, express complex thoughts.Stick out tongue

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Sun, Jun 19 2011 12:40 AM

shelley25:

kewl computer

Stick to your guns shelly25, you're already more popular here than I am.

...pending.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,087
Points 11,005
CDeeter replied on Sun, Jun 19 2011 12:42 AM

Btw does anyone know how points are assigned to posts. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it. I've seen one sentence posts get 20 while a paragraph would get only 5, and vice versa. Thanks!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 231
Points 3,280
PFeenstra replied on Sun, Jun 19 2011 1:18 AM

Good question ^^^ I have no idea, maybe based on post count?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Sun, Jun 19 2011 5:35 AM

I don't meet the residency requirements for participating in this sweepstakes, but my sincere congratulations to those who do - this looks like one really nice rig ! A lot of readers have commented on the sweet hardware that goes into the chassi, but let me comment on the chassi itself - from the reviews I've read, that Thermaltake Level 10 GT seems to be a wowser for people that like to tinker with their boxes. I'm considering getting one for my next build....

Henri

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Sun, Jun 19 2011 7:00 AM

...tick - tick - tick ..."Happy Father's Day to all the Dads!"  !"... tick -tick -tick... "You are never far away Dad ! '"

...tick- tick - tick....maybe we will have some info about the vidcast build soon ! ...

...tick- tick - tick ...some of the vidcast updates  have been coming on Sundays 

...tick - tick -tick...

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 88
Points 890
shelley25 replied on Sun, Jun 19 2011 8:47 AM

kewl tower

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Happy father's day. I know I will be enjoying the time with my daughter and it looks like it is going to be a beautiful day. Can you believe it is already 2/3 of the way thorough June already.

The vidcast will show some kewl dudes building a super kewl tower!

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 420

Father-Son Computer Build!

What a cool give-a-way!  I've got two boys.  We've built one computer together, but this "Pro-Built" system is something I'd love to win.  As a father-I think I'm doing it right.  Make no mistake, this would be Daddy's machine :0.  My boys have to build their systems.  Daddy would be very appreciative of winning this reward.  If you think I'm doing the right thing by making my kids learn and build their systems, like this entry and maybe the guys will see fit to make me the winner.

It's Father's Day today-if you're a dad and you're looking for a cool way to spend some time with your son or daughter and teach them some sweet skills-You know, like nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills...build a computer with them.  This will ensure they'll be the ones doing your tech support in your old age.  Teach them what you know now before they forget how cool you really are.  Time is short and soon they may find time with dad isn't a priority.  Make some memories now and they'll come back later when they realize, maybe you did know a thing or two and yeah-guess Dad is pretty cool.  Morale will be high around the house before, during and after the build.  Friend Envy will be high, and you will be accomplishing something together not many people have.  Roll with the Hero-worship and teach them to do the same.

Just remember, with great power comes great responsibility... Do the right thing-be a dad and if you have to, you can use this computer against them if they get off track!  In the event grades falter or incentive is needed...no Video Games, Computer or Console if grades aren't kept up.  This works amazingly well.  Gaming hours are defined and we keep strict track around here-there is more to life...that said-the digital age is here-so get them up to snuff if you are able.

My oldest son & I built a computer for him a year ago Easter Weekend.  I told him-I wasn't going to buy him a computer-but if he wanted-I'd help him build one if he learned about the building them from the ground up.  This meant, I too would have to learn to build from the ground up right along with him.  I gave him a budget that he had to stick to.  The economic lesson was probably as valuable as the tech lesson.  Bang for the buck, now and in the future.  We had a blast!

We started watching computer builds in YouTube videos and doing our research by spending time at  TigerDirect NewEgg and Microcenter & Best Buy.  The learning curve was swift as he was motivated...I find Zombie Slaying is extremely motivating to teenage boys...

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Another Resource you should definitely checkout HotHardware.com  Great reviews and really helpful, current video of a How-To build: 

http://www.youtube.com/user/HotHardwareVids?blend=23&ob=5#p/u/51/a4iRd2JXKPQ

You can purchase parts on-line through a store powered by Amazon.com  Go To:  Store.ThisOldNerd.com it's powered by Amazon and if you like this site and forum, these guys get a commission.  Support them if you can!

BACK TO OUR PROGRAM

The component that sealed the deal in regards to motivating my son to build his computer was a cool looking case, "The CoolerMaster StormScout"

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2912

From there we were off-

We decided to go as budget as we could stomach, but as future proof as we could afford.  WE DECIDED TO FUTURE PROOF OUR COMPUTER BY PURCHASING MORE MOTHERBOARD AND POWER SUPPLY THAN NEEDED AT BUILD!  This put us over our budget, but I think it will save time and money in the future.  Overall-we were very pleased with the end build and investment.

We went big on an ASUS Motherboard & made sure it was Cross-Fire Ready so we could add a 2nd GPU down the road and light on the CPU knowing thinking we could later upgrade the CPU to a Phenom 955-975 Black.  At time of build I think we used an Athlon II 620 or 630-it was Cheeeap!

We went with a 750 Corsair Power Supply-it seemed there were lots of warnings not to cheap out on the power supply-so we went big brand-good rating...

For the GPU we settled on a 5770...it was the most card for the budget we had at the time-overall-very pleased.

We started out looking at Components, then checked out the systems at Digital Storm (nice!) Cyberpowerpc and iBuyPower.  Nearly pulled the trigger as all Dad's are victims of marketing...stayed focused and started shopping Barebone systems hoping that was a good way to make sure the motherboards, ram, processors, etc would all work together. 

It all seemed to come down to the motherboard in regard to future-proofing.  As we learned about the various components-we built a wish list of them.

Then we built up the shopping carts at NewEgg & Tiger & MicroCenter.  When we were sure we knew enough to be dangerous-we zoomed over to the physical MicroCenter store in town and worked deals similar to what we had listed out on-line.  

By the time the build came, we were ready and we friggin' slayed it!

If you get a chance to do this, DO THIS.  If you screw it up, try again.  Your money won't go to waste.  If you get overwhelmed, you can take it to a shop and they'll assemble for you.  Stop freaking out though, because I promise it won't come to that.  Peeps on the forums and online as well as "seeing it done" on YouTube will make it easy peasy.

Good Luck and Happy Building.

Now, like this post so I win the Pro-Build :0

• | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 231
Points 3,280
PFeenstra replied on Sun, Jun 19 2011 11:23 AM

Happy Father's day everyone!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

PFeenstra:

Happy Father's day everyone!

"Yeah, Happy Fathers Day to Every One!! My gifts  started rollin in yesterday. I got my dad a Roku XD player as added bonus, going up to visit him and set it up when I get Vacation next month, also got him a set of new tires for his Chevrolet Caprice Classic, I love that car, I learned how to drive in it and I made some cool night romantic trips to the woods. Anyways, I will be with my son later on tonight , cant wait, an also me and his moms got a lot talking to do."

-Optimus

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,200
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Jun 19 2011 6:41 PM

CDeeter:
Btw does anyone know how points are assigned to posts.

I think it's 5 points for a post, then you get more for that post, when people reply directly to it. The more replies, the more points. I just replied directly to your post and bumped you up. You had 20 points before I replied, and now you have 35,.......

Now 25 of you reply to this post and watch the numbers as you do,.......

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,087
Points 11,005
CDeeter replied on Sun, Jun 19 2011 6:44 PM

Thanks for the info. That makes sense. If people are replying to your posts, I guess that makes them more interesting.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,087
Points 11,005
CDeeter replied on Sun, Jun 19 2011 7:06 PM

It's nice to hear that you took the time to invest in your son that way. Too often today we take the easy way out - and I include myself.

Maybe the answer is to get back to the idea of doing things together, showing that you can do things for yourself instead of just paying someone else to do it for you.

I imagine your son will look back on this and say"Thanks for spending the time to do this with me." I;m sure he is proud too of this accomplishment and of you. Good Job!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

@DSylvander That sounds like such a great experience. I am sure I will get the chance too build a machine with my daughter at some point. She is only 2 at this point though so maybe in 8-10 years lol.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Sun, Jun 19 2011 11:54 PM

Happy Father's Day to all the Dads out there hope you were all able to have a nice relaxing time. Speaking of Dad's and Grad's just a few days left until this doozy of a contest is over. Can you feel the anticipation building!?

"I have the power!!"

Page 9 of 16 (633 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next > ... Last » | RSS