Zotac Introduces Nano X2-Powered Mini-PC At Computex

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,877
Points 1,116,420
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, May 31 2011 2:43 AM
Zotac's Zbox line has been evolving rather quickly over the past year or so. We've tested a few of them along the way, and they just seem to be getting better and better, and at rapid speed. In fact, we aren't so sure that buying one today is the best idea; by the time tomorrow comes, it'll probably be out of date! Kidding aside, the company has teamed up with VIA to showcase a totally new Zbox at Computex 2011. The Zbox Mini-PC offers up a very compact form factor, VIA's Nano X2 dual-core CPU, and a "palm-sized" chassis that measures 13x13x5cm.

This type of machine is obviously ideal for use as a home theater PC, or in cramped spaces where there's no room for a huge tower. The Nano X2 is available in 1.2GHz and 1.6GHz speeds, but unfortunately, there aren't any details just yet on when the new Mini-PC will ship, nor how much it'll cost.

VIA to Demo ZOTAC® ZBOX Mini-PC Featuring the VIA Nano X2 Dual-Core Processor at Computex

The ZOTAC ZBOX mini-PC offers high performance computing in an ultra compact chassis.

Taipei, Taiwan, 30 May, 2011 - VIA Technologies, Inc, a leading innovator of power efficient x86 processor platforms, today announced that it will demo the ultra compact ZOTAC ZBOX mini-PC featuring the  VIA Nano X2 dual-core processor at the VIA Computex booth, TICC, room 201D.

Powered by the VIA Nano X2 dual-core processor, the ZOTAC ZBOX features a palm-sized chassis measuring just 13 x 13 x 5cm, making it an ideal solution for integration into a home entertainment system as well as space constrained workspaces.

“The ZOTAC ZBOX is a great example of the kinds of innovations in form factor design that are possible on our low power VIA Nano X2 dual-core processor platform,” said Richard Brown, Vice President of Marketing, VIA Technologies, Inc. “It provides an excellent solution for home and officer users seeking a premium computing experience in an ultra compact size.”

VIA Nano X2 Dual-Core Processor

VIA Nano X2 dual-core processors are available at speeds of 1.2 and 1.6GHz and are built using the latest 40nm fabrication process.

VIA Nano X2 processors come with native 64-bit software support, VT CPU virtualization technology, and VIA PadLock™ hardware security features and are also pin-to-pin compatible with VIA Nano, VIA C7, VIA C7-M and VIA Eden processors, facilitating easy upgrades of existing designs.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,436
Points 102,165
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, May 31 2011 8:04 PM

This is a nice little box. If your past ZOTAC reviews are any indicator, it's got some nice performance packed inside it's tiny little frame.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

"it's got some nice performance packed inside it's tiny little frame."

I had a girlfriend like that once! :P

I have been really looking into these lately. I will have to get something for the GF when I go back to the mainland. Since she only does the whole online shopping thing, she doesnt need too much. I actually saw one barebone zotac kit on the egg for around 2 bills.

Only thing is the low ram and two cores makes you wonder bout the HD video performance when playing back large H264 files?

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,436
Points 102,165
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, May 31 2011 11:54 PM

animatortom:
I actually saw one barebone zotac kit on the egg for around 2 bills.

animatortom:
Only thing is the low ram and two cores makes you wonder bout the HD video performance when playing back large H264 files?

They do that, just fine. Just buy good quality RAM and a "Green" drive for it and it will do the deed.

animatortom:
I had a girlfriend like that once! :P

I still do! Stick out tongue

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Wait Neil, I thought you were married? Does your wife know bout your girlfriend Hmm

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,436
Points 102,165
MembershipAdministrator

animatortom:
Does your wife know bout your girlfriend

I married my girlfriend Tom.

(Mark Twain)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

realneil:

animatortom:
Does your wife know bout your girlfriend

I married my girlfriend Tom.

lol.

I thought about getting a little box like this for my TV. Been using my netbook. It handles 1080p video ok, but drops a lot of frames trying to run a hulu video.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 261
Points 2,555

Palm sized PC!  Any ideas about pricing?  

Never stop learning... until you're dead.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS