Toyota Creating Private Social Network For Owners And Cars

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,744
Points 1,210,130
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, May 23 2011 5:52 PM
We've known that technology and automobiles have been growing closer for some time now, and Toyota is clearly riding that bandwagon for as long as it's going. The company just announced a new cloud computing initiative with Salesforce.com that will result in a new social network service, enabling owners to become "friends" with their cars, and receive heads-up reminders (similar to tweets) for maintenance reminders. Granted, Chevy's OnStar system could already do something similar, but the more the merrier!

The deal will mean that Japan gets it first, with electric cars being the first to integrate into the network. Plug-in hybrid vehicle support is on schedule for 2012. The project will be called "Toyota Friend," and is described as a private network that connects Toyota customers with their cars, their dealership, and with Toyota. Toyota Friend will provide a variety of product and service information as well as essential maintenance tips, creating a rich car ownership experience. For example, if an EV or PHV is running low on battery power, Toyota Friend would notify the driver to re-charge in the form of a "tweet"-like alert. In addition, while Toyota Friend will be a private social network, customers can choose to extend their communication to family, friends, and others through public social networks such as Twitter and Facebook. The service will also be accessible through smart phones, tablet PCs, and other advanced mobile devices.

So, ready to get even friendlier with your car? Hope so!
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,494
Points 47,210
ForumsAdministrator

This new service should allow Toyota owners to be promptly notified whenever a recall is instituted. I write this semi tongue-in-cheek considering the many recalls that Toyota has made in the past couple of years. 

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 350
Points 2,325
HHGrrl replied on Tue, May 24 2011 2:52 PM

I can see where notifications and reminders may be helpful, but I'm not sure I see the point of extending the communication with my car to my friends and family. Getting a message that says, "Your brother's car needs an oil change" isn't exactly useful to me.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,494
Points 47,210
ForumsAdministrator

HHGrrl:
Getting a message that says, "Your brother's car needs an oil change" isn't exactly useful to me.

But you could nag him until he gets it done! Many wives might appreciate that feature!Big Smile

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

Kinda silly if you ask me.

This is a bit much.......ya think!!!???

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,771
Points 105,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Aug 3 2011 12:42 PM

It's a good way to bomb your customer base with advertising.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Why would I want to talk to people who other people who bought toyotas? 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS