Asus Eee Pad Transformer Tablet, The Full Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 24 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,665
Points 1,155,225
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, May 12 2011 10:46 AM
The Asus Eee Pad Transformer tablet is a more complete Android-based tablet PC with a companion docking station that affords it the ability to act as an Android 3.0 Honeycomb-based netbook as well.  It's based on NVIDIA's powerful dual core 1GHz Tegra 2 processor with 1GB of RAM and 16 - 32GB of internal storage.  If you were waiting for Android tablets to get "real," today might be a good day to finally take the plunge. 

Here's a detailed look at the Asus Eee Pad Transformer tablet PC and Netbook convertible...
  • | Post Points: 185
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35

Does the Pad itself have a USB port?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,537
Points 54,400
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, May 12 2011 11:41 AM

OK, you have to at least READ the article before you can ask questions. :) I mentioned it more than once and it's in our Hot and Not list as a "not". No, no USB port on the tablet itself, the dock has two though.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,630
omegadraco replied on Thu, May 12 2011 12:10 PM

Thanks for the review I have been looking forward to this for a couple weeks :) This looks like an amazing tablet but it might be good to wait for the next revision. Personally I hate proprietary connections though I know they needed one for the dock. I feel like they could have provided that micro USB port for charging and syncing and just had the dock for connectivity strictly to their docking station.

Does the docking port on the keyboard fold down? It almost looks as if it should in the video.

All in all the Hot outweighs the Not it would seem.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,537
Points 54,400
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, May 12 2011 3:27 PM

Hey Omega, Yes, the docking port does fold down into a notebook style closed position.

Editor In Chief

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
rwniel replied on Thu, May 12 2011 5:00 PM

Nice review. :)

Regarding USB ports on the tablet itself, Asus Italia Facebook page have shown off a dongle that fits the docking connector to provide a USB port. But no pricing or availability as of yet. Also, I read on a developer web-site that it may also be possible to use the USB charging cable via an A-B female-female adapter for use with the likes of flash drives. Agreed, it is not an ideal solution (since it's always better to move beyond proprietary dongles/adapters) but it does offer a potential solution if you don't wish to add the extra battery keyboard dock.

Robert

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
teeg60 replied on Thu, May 12 2011 5:13 PM

I think you are "spot-on" that Asus has released a winner!

What I never see anyone share (probably because most tablets have yet to offer a USB or SD card slot) is can you use the SD card to transfer photos to a photo album on the tablet. I mean what does it do when you insert an SD card,.........does a dialogue box appear and ask you if you'd like to view or copy files? If it doesn't, can you even navigate to find the SD card files?

Does it even work this way or is that why Apple has you go through iTunes and Google would like you to use Picasa.

For my work we essentially just show Jpeg slide shows and some short videos, so if it was easy to transfer files one of these devices would work just fine.

Look forward to your response.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
teeg60 replied on Thu, May 12 2011 5:23 PM

One other question,........are they still in back order mode with these? If I ordered one, would it be longer than a 2 week wait?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

Great write-up Dave! As much as I want this I think I'll wait until the next version is rolled out, maybe then there will be more android tablet apps and a quad core under the hood, oh yeah! Plus I'm super excited about ice-cream sandwich. I like a keyboard when I type and I like how they don't just offer a keyboard but a keyboard docking station that adds battery life and direct usb support. Plus it makes a nice cover when it's closed.

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,630

Awesome I would be worried about the pins getting bent on it otherwise when it was not docked with the tablet portion.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,555
Points 103,030
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, May 12 2011 7:09 PM

The fact that it's 100 bucks cheaper, and works better than the other guys product is what I like.

I personally can't justify buying one of them with so many other PC's in the house already. But I wouldn't mind having one either.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
JSmith2 replied on Thu, May 12 2011 7:53 PM

Agreed, I and everyone else wants one with either a USB port or a full SD card reader.....until then, not interested. They're trying to keep people from sharing music and videos while at starbucks etc.....

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Thu, May 12 2011 10:19 PM

@jsmith2: >> "They're trying to keep people from sharing music and videos while at starbucks etc....."

No, I think they're just trying to keep the ports down to eliminate any unnecessary hardware/weight. I'm guessing that the dock connector probably supports audio and video line-out - which a normal USB connector would not have offered.

If you want to share music at Starbucks, use the bluetooth file transfer, or the dock-to-USB cable.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Thu, May 12 2011 10:23 PM

realneil:

The fact that it's 100 bucks cheaper, and works better than the other guys product is what I like.

I personally can't justify buying one of them with so many other PC's in the house already. But I wouldn't mind having one either.

I'm in exactly the same boat realneil.  I, for the life of me, can't think of what I would actually use one for (that I can't already do with some other machine/phone)... but the price is pretty close to the point where I would just have to have it.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,555
Points 103,030
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, May 13 2011 10:03 AM

3vi1:
but the price is pretty close to the point where I would just have to have it

Yep!, I like my Bling, and this thing has the Bling Meter Dinging.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 159
Points 1,365
Schmich replied on Fri, May 13 2011 8:56 PM

Really a shame of the proprietary port. Or at least it would be nice to have 1-2 USB ports and 1 micro-USB so that you could charge with any mobile phone charger in case you forgot the proprietary port cable.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,537
Points 54,400
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, May 15 2011 7:24 PM

Totally agree, Schmich. Not sure why not at least a microUSB on the tablet itself.

Editor In Chief

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Sun, May 15 2011 8:26 PM

I feel certain it was a penny pinching thing where the engineers were told to cut everything that wasn't absolutely necessary from the tablet portion.

There are two USB ports hidden behind covers on the detachable keyboard, right?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,537
Points 54,400
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Mon, May 16 2011 10:39 AM

Correctamundo, 3vi1.

Editor In Chief

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
CHatanaka replied on Mon, May 16 2011 1:35 PM

Thanks for the great review! This looks like the ideal tablet for me!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
lapsoup replied on Sun, May 29 2011 4:49 PM

First review I've seen where they actually mention the screen bleed. Over at the XDA forum there are people who say the bleed gets worse over time (perhaps because as the device heats up it shifts??)

Annoying.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
SFaisal replied on Tue, Jun 7 2011 8:34 AM

no

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,537
Points 54,400
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, Jul 24 2011 11:08 AM

I haven't noticed it getting worse but the screen bleed isn't fun at all. Agreed.

Editor In Chief

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
shakoun replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 12:51 AM

I am looking to purchase a new PC. What files can be upoloaded to the Asus from Windows that are compatible. Specificaly are these Windows files compatible with the ASUS : spreadsheets, wordpad, .doc files, jpegs, Windows Media Player music and video?

Can I attach a cd/dvd player and use it for storage and transfer of files? Are memory sticks supported?

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
shakoun replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 1:01 AM

Is there a keyboard on the screen itself?

Page 1 of 1 (25 items) | RSS