IDC Video Ad on right pane

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645
omegadraco Posted: Wed, May 11 2011 7:49 PM

Is their anyway to make this video not autoplay each time it comes on. I have been browsing hothardware at work occasionally and been disturbed by it. I am not sure if you guys have any control over it since it is BrightCove who runs the ads.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

I use adblock plus in firefox. BrightCove is actually kind of smart and gets around Adblock every once in a while, you just need to click on it and block it again.

I'm a huge fan of adblock because it blocks all of the flash ads so sites load a lot faster and look cleaner. Some people don't like it though and I have found that it blocks a few good ads, for example, when I go to my dealership website for service specials I have to turn it off otherwise i can't see the specials. But it's not a problem because there is an icon and you can turn it on and off whenever you want.

Now you're just mashing it!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, May 14 2011 5:24 PM

omegadraco:

Is their anyway to make this video not autoplay each time it comes on. I have been browsing hothardware at work occasionally and been disturbed by it. I am not sure if you guys have any control over it since it is BrightCove who runs the ads.

I agree, those ads are annoying as hell (it'd be acceptable if they were muted but they aren't.). Maybe you can talk to BrightCove and come to an understanding, I'm not really bothered by these ads but those ads that auto play sound just piss me off.

Drake_McNasty:

I have found that it blocks a few good ads, for example, when I go to my dealership website for service specials I have to turn it off otherwise i can't see the specials. But it's not a problem because there is an icon and you can turn it on and off whenever you want.

There is a whitelist option you know. Just add the sites you don't want AdBlock to block ads on and it's smooth sailing from there on.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,651
Points 104,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, May 15 2011 9:57 PM

HH depends on ads for part of their income. If you all block them, it affects the bottom line.

Just saying,......

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

For real? How can they tell whether or not it's blocked? Do they get paid by site traffic?

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 265

Most sites are supported by adds and it would make sense for users to click an add from time to time especially if we enjoy the information provided to us by the site as well as being given the ability to share with others.

I would reccomend minimizing your browser window while at work... But don't forget to click from time to time.

p.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Mon, Jun 6 2011 11:42 PM

@AZTECHKA Well minimizing it doesn't work. I'm indifferent towards ads but I am against ads that have autoplaying audio; it's so freaking annoying and stupid, it makes people want to block ads then support them.

The IDC Video Ad on the right is no exception; though I'm thankful they dropped the autoplay and muted the videos in the beginning.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

I still have it autoplay occasionally but it has been much better over the past month.

@ Drake the ad services can actually tell by the amount of traffic they get though typically sites only get paid for clicks.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

So in theory it doesn't matter whether I block it or not because I don't click on it when it's unblocked? I don't know, I can't stand the video ad so it's staying blocked, I might disable adblock plus for hh if they just have the banner ads.

Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 750
RSmith replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 5:10 AM

In Firefox i use NoScript, it helps a ton, but can sometimes get annoying.  What really causes the annoyances, is when you go to a sight and repeatedly allow all ads on the site, because after you allow all that are trying to show up, a flood of more want to show up, and another flood, and another, it's super annoying, but it's not NS' fault, it's whoever runs the sites.  I'll have to try out AdBlock sometime soon, thanks for the info.  And yes, auto-playing videos, especially the audible-by-default ones suck, I hate em with a passion.  The worst ones are those that are either really loud by default or they launch when your cursor just glides over them once, so annoying it makes you want to punch someone in the face, lol.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

I have been useing FireFox and Adblock plus though I disabled it on the HH page :)

I added *.brightcove.com as an exception to always block to the filter on it and no longer get those annoying ads from that company at least. It would appear that HH got rid of that advertiser though anyways.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS