NVIDIA Responds to JPR Market Figures

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,182
Points 1,185,985
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, May 5 2011 6:48 PM
When we published our analysis of JPR's Q1 2011 GPU market share yesterday, we noted that Nvidia's share of the entire market had dropped significantly due to declining sales in their integrated graphics business. We also discussed how the rise of 'Fusion' hardware from both AMD and Intel will inevitably squeeze NV's share of the lower-end GPU market in years to come.

This follow-up is a more detailed look at Nvidia's performance in discrete GPU sales. Nvidia doesn't contest the JPR article as such, but is concerned that the expected decline of their integrated chipset business could confuse readers into thinking that the company's share of the discrete market is slumping badly. Hence, this article. All of the data discussed below was gathered by Mercury Research, an independent analysis firm.

As recently as a year ago, Nvidia held a 16 percent advantage over AMD. At present, the two are all-but-tied, with Team Green a scant two percent ahead.

Here's the entire discrete graphics market. AMD's improved its share significantly over the past year, rising from 42 percent to 49 percent. We see the two companies swap positions for about a quarter. Since sales lag announcements, we're guessing AMD pulled slightly ahead thanks to its top-to-bottom portfolio of 5000-series Radeon cards at a time when only the GTX 470 and GTX 480 were available from Nvidia.

The graph starts with a 65/35 split between Nvidia and AMD. As of Q1 2011, Nvidia holds an estimated 59.4 percent to AMD's 40.6 percent

The graph above refers only to the desktop discrete market. AMD's gains were even more impressive here, with desktop discrete sales rising almost a full ten percentage points from Q1 to Q2 2010. Again, we see evidence of how NV's later 400-series products improved the company's sales. At present, NV holds ~60 percent of the desktop discrete market.

The two companies start off tied at 50/50 in Q1 2010. At present, AMD holds 58 percent of the market.

Finally, there's notebook discrete. This is where NV lost significant ground over the past year, although it's not clear as to why.  While it has yet to regain all the ground it lost,the company's Optimus technology and aggressive mobile product positioning are both aimed at closing the gap with AMD.

Conclusion:
Yesterday's analysis examined Nvidia's overall share of the entire graphics market, the challenges it faces, and how the company is growing both Tesla and Tegra in an effort to simultaneously diversify its portfolio and encompass a much larger definition of computing. Here, we've focused on Nvidia's performance in its own home turf. Within the discrete market, Nvidia's sales and net revenue are both strong; the dips and arcs we see between Teams Green and Red are indicative of healthy competition.

While it faces formidable obstacles in the years to come, Nvidia is playing against them from a fairly good position. It's current GPU business is strong enough to support the company as it diversifies its product mixture. That's not going to change in the near future, even if further quarters show significant declines in chipset shipments.
  • | Post Points: 125
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

So now is a perfect time to buy Nvidia stock!

After reviewing the new features supported by the Nvidia plug-ins that are in the new Autodesk software, They will be making a big splash in the studio and production market! That stuff is so cool, I am really kicking the crap out of me that I have bought this problem ridden AMD/ATI Firepro piece of plastic!

Watch at the end of this video with the jacket simulation within the viewport! Right now I have to wait six hours for the Firepro to calculate a 100 frame Ncloth shirt. One that doesnt have that many calculations for the flowing ends of the jacket? And no the Max plug-ins for ATI dont really do anything!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giW2asEA1eA&feature=player_embedded#at=220

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 350
Points 2,325
HHGrrl replied on Thu, May 5 2011 9:28 PM

Thanks for the follow-up on this. It's nice to see how things really compare side-by-side between these two companies.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 3,015

you can look at all the data

i like where nvidia is headed

you don't have to pick a side here you just have to have lots of money to build one of each...( he he )

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Thu, May 5 2011 10:13 PM

Or you can have HH build it for you dadodgeson :) lol

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965

but building it is the best part

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Fri, May 6 2011 11:33 AM

Really love the competition between these two powerhouses. I have always gone with Nvidia but I will probably give AMD a try sometime in the future because I like having both options.

"I have the power!!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Fri, May 6 2011 6:34 PM

>> So now is a perfect time to buy Nvidia stock!

/agree.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 159
Points 1,365
Schmich replied on Fri, May 6 2011 10:17 PM

Awesome that they're so close.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Sat, May 7 2011 2:07 AM

I personally over the years have owned both, however I will admit I have been more of an AMD fan in general. Recently though I would actually like to have one of each. Maybe not the highest end, but maybe 2 steps down with max memory on each. Then I could use each for it's strengths. While crossfire or sli may have there advantages in general those advantages are not gigantic in general. we are usually talking 5-10% over say a dual GPU option from the same company.

I of course have been a hardware lover for years building and upgrading computers both personally and professionally. The general is that the human eye while it can differentiate 60 FPS when you go over maybe 75 FPS the actively noticed differences get slimmer and slimmer as you go. Much like on an HD TV anything over 120 points is pointless.

I love seeing them close market wise though and in rough/close competition as they will work harder therefore producing better GPUS, software, features, and responsiveness across the market. I personally cannot believe Intel holds as much market advantage as they do, which in many cases reiterates what I said earlier. Yes fast refresh rates add more to the fluidity and believability of the graphics your card puts out.

As I said though I would stilll think the advantage would be to someone with a mid high to higher end card of each manufacturer in there computer. They both focus somewhat differently in how they get to where they are. So while the end products are somewhat the same with one of each together you would seemingly have the best of both, and the addition of each singularly as well, in one end product.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,072
Points 11,625
Joel H replied on Sun, May 8 2011 3:04 PM

I don't often weigh in on product comparisons beyond a neutral reviewer's standpoint, but I'll say this much--I prefer the profile adjustments one can make to NV drivers as opposed to their ATI counterparts. It's the one consistent, overarching 'feature' that NV has offered as compared to AMD. (PhysX is another, but game support for HW Physx's is still fairly small.)

Then again, AMD's profile updates *is* a step forward. Software development costs money, and AMD's not had much of that these last few years. I'm hopeful that we may see more features exposed on the GPU side if Bulldozer/Llano/Brazos sufficiently improve the company's financials.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40
AGlick replied on Mon, May 9 2011 9:06 AM

I'm afraid you are mistaken, animatortom.

You ncloth simulations are currently being solved by your CPU - not your GPU.

If you want to solve dynamics in Maya using GPU acceleration on your FirePro then look for the FirePro Bullet Physics plugin for Maya.

Don't hate.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105
I was referring to the new enhancements within the new Maya and Max 2012 versions. They have scripts specifically designed to utilize the GPU using Nvidia PhysX that allow you to run simulations within the viewport.

I was a big supporter of ATI going back to the 90's. But not anymore! The products, drivers and business practices of AMD suck! This is proven to me everyday with the instability of the V8800. Just like last night it kept flickering the screen and blanking out on me! When you spend 1500 on the supposed top of the line workstation card, it should at least be stable and perform as well as anything else out there. Or at least be top dog for more than two months! So like Cartman said, at least buy me dinner first! If I would have waited, then I could have gotten the 7800 for half the price with the same performance. If they had a money back guarantee then they would be out of business by now!

You are right that everything is solved with your CPU in 2011 versions. Yet in the new 2012 versions, the PhisX plug-ins are hardware accelerated in Maya and MAX, and can be utilized within the Viewport 2.0.

If the Bullet Physics plug in is anything like their attempts with the 3D Max Plug-ins, then I am certain it will screw up the system just like they did! Next time I spend over 1K for a new workstation card I am definitely going with a Quadro/Tesla setup. This will also translate to the gaming computer as well.

So if you are so certain that AMD is the best, then I will happily sell you my Firepro V8800 for 1100.00, I still have the box and will even throw in the DPI adaptors?
Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance