Shortcuts

Suggestion: Website appearance check and a more noticeable forum for Linux/FOSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 320
DWhite Posted: Thu, Mar 24 2011 12:07 AM

May I recommend taking influence from  http://www.canonical.com/ https://one.ubuntu.com/ or http://www.kubuntu.org/ ? the design is very eye-catching and clean at the same time.

Also, when I first came on it took me a while to find a forum that has anything to do with Linux or Open Source software. I realize this is a hardware site, but Linux is used on virtually any piece of hardware imaginable, even pieces of hardware that are barely salvageable. There should be a sub-forum within the forum for Operating Systems.

System76 Starling 4 Netbook w/ 6-cell Li-Ion Smart battery; 640GB HDD @ 5400RPM

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285

Check out the Operating System area. Thats where most of it is talked about. 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Mar 24 2011 6:56 AM

I'm not complaining about the site design, in fact I seem to get used to site designs more quickly then others. I'm also one of the few who doesn't have a problem with Graker's new interface.

Yeah, I'm one of the few.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,295
DScheive replied on Thu, Mar 24 2011 9:02 AM

I can care less about the eye candy of the site but having a dedicated linux section is a MUST! i have 2 laptops that have linux and 1 with Windows XP Dark Edition (i only have old laptops, no desktops :P), and the only reason i use windows is for itunes and for games... but i try and stay on linux as much as possible cause everything about it is amazing... and im sure many of this sites forum-ers use linux too :)

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 320
DWhite replied on Thu, Mar 24 2011 9:01 PM

When Project Bossanova starts to seriously take off, you won't need Windows at all anymore. If Apple is smart, they will release a version for Linux, their Unix sisters. But, when Windows does die, it will be interesting to see how good Unix can compete against viruses.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,295
DScheive replied on Fri, Mar 25 2011 9:58 AM

im sure the apple is either considering it or already working on a lonux version itunes... but this project bossanova is cool... but it dont help with making the windows games multi-platform

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 320
DWhite replied on Fri, Mar 25 2011 10:29 PM

No, that's not the point with P.B., it is to make games exclusively for Linux. Which means it will most likely be closed source, so people cannot convert it into a format for Mac or Windows. It is meant to be a free game that Linux users can download and take away Windows' biggest reason for it's existence. Gaming. WINE and Play on Linux are working hard at windows games being multi-platform, and it is going along quite well.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS