Windows software with Open-Source version?

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 320
DWhite Posted: Wed, Mar 23 2011 11:35 PM

I have been thinking recently... Linux and other free open source software such as Mozilla & the Chromium projects are steadily inclining on users. So what can corporate software do to compete with this competition that is perfect for consumers in almost every single way? They can't monopolize their software like Windows has done mainly with games -And don't mention Linux not having games, Project Bossanova is making a RPG exclusively for Linux. WINE and Play on Linux also allows users to play games made only for Windows.

So, should Windows, or even Macintosh release an Open-Source project for code junkies? Should Microsoft ax Internet Explorer as closed source, and use that as an experiment to see what the Open Source community can do with it? This could be a good thing also for security in Windows, coders can swap DOS for Unix on one distribution to create a very difficult OS to infect with Viruses & Malware.

It will be interesting to see where the world in Open Source software goes with these major companies.

System76 Starling 4 Netbook w/ 6-cell Li-Ion Smart battery; 640GB HDD @ 5400RPM

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,295
DScheive replied on Thu, Mar 24 2011 9:14 AM

im pretty sure that microsoft has no intention of making an open source project for windows... as soon as linux gets a hold on running windows games natively or those games all start to support linux, its over for windows... so many people will switch to them... i know at least 20 people that only stay with windows because of this reason Big Smile i give it 5 years

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 320
DWhite replied on Thu, Mar 24 2011 8:41 PM

A lot of the extremely faithful Windows fans will be ticked at that, but it will happen. I might say 10 years to be safe.

System76 Starling 4 Netbook w/ 6-cell Li-Ion Smart battery; 640GB HDD @ 5400RPM

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS