Site Outages Still a Thorn in Netflix's Streaming Side

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,391
Points 1,192,480
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Mar 23 2011 11:39 AM
If you were unable to access your Netflix streaming service last night, don't feel bad, you weren't being singled out by a higher power. Instead, Netflix suffered yet another service outage on Tuesday night, this latest one lasting roughly four hours, according to reports.

"Netflix is up and on as usual," Netflix spokesman Steve Swasey said in an email to subscribers. "Last night we had an unanticipated and rare technical issue that interrupted the service for about four hours, since fixed."

Actually, South Park's intrepid news crew got it wrong. It was just Netflix that was out, not the entire Internet.

The technical issue itself might be rare, but outages on Netflix are slightly more common. This is the second time in six months that Netflix had its lights abruptly shut off, the last time resulting in a small credit for subscribers. No word on whether or not Netflix will issue a credit for last night's snafu, too.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

I had to watch a dvd last night!!!! It was painful! Just kidding, but it was a nice reminder how much better quality bluray is and how streaming still has a long way to go before it can reach that quality. It's sad that they actually have to consider issuing a credit for such a small outage, it was a few hours, not days or weeks.

Now you're just mashing it!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,109
Points 38,260
acarzt replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 1:51 PM

Some of the stuff on Netflix streams in 1080p and it looks great.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 552
Points 5,060

Netflix always issues a credit for any outage. It is not much, but they do it. Considering that netflix streaming cost you roughly 1.09c an hour, don't expect much.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 7:15 PM

So these people are getting $4.36 of credit for four hours?, that sux.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 475
KAdair replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 11:25 PM

I've been having problems lately with netflix even when it comes to streaming content it just wont start I have to start it multiple times... Only seems to happen on my wii though

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 552
Points 5,060

I said c, not $. That would be 4.36 cents. And how does it suck, since it cost you $8 a month.

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 370
Specjre replied on Thu, Mar 24 2011 12:08 PM

Got an email today offering a credit. I don't think I will take it since I wasn't trying to use it, just feels wrong since the company is so great.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS