Apple iPad 2 Tablet Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 33 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,882
Points 1,116,820
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Mar 21 2011 11:02 AM
Apple iPad 2 Tablet ReviewThe magic is back for a second act, baby, and it doesn't play for the Lakers (that's the other Magic). The magic we're talking about plays for team Apple, and while the competition tries to come up with a so-called "iPad killer," Apple may have beat them to the punch. How's that for irony? We're of course referring to the iPad 2, Apple's second tablet in as many years, and the first successor to the slate that started it all. Don't confuse that to mean Apple invented the tablet, which it didn't, but the Cupertino outfit was the first to figure out how to market and sell such a device to the mainstream, almost single-handedly reviving a mobile concept that many didn't think could co-exist with laptops and netbooks...

Apple iPad 2 Tablet Review

• | Post Points: 290
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 324
Points 4,305

ding ding ding..."we have to declare Apple's iPad 2 the current All time Undisputed champ.!!"

i7-950@3.8 + Asus Sabertooth X58+ CM692 Advanced+ 6GB A-Data Gaming DDR3@1600

ATI Radeon 6870+ 1TB Hitachi HD+ 750w Modular PSU + Asetek Liquid Cooler + DigitalStorm PC  

YesThanks To HotHardware.ComYes

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965
jonation replied on Mon, Mar 21 2011 1:44 PM

i think apple is really going to test how often you can release updates and still make decent sales. and hopefully make more prosumers in the progress.

It looks good though, just not the $.

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285

^I much agree. Its not exactly like a 200 product like the Ipod touch is. even if you were to buy one every other release then you'd be spending 1000 in two years on something that it replaced by the next year.

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 307
Points 2,685
JDiaz replied on Mon, Mar 21 2011 3:16 PM

iPad2 is a nice update but it only helps keep the iPad relevant and isn't cutting edge or setting any new ground in the tablet market.

Before long it will be eclipsed as other companies come out with far superior hardware. Like Qualcomm is coming out soon with a dual core 1.5GHz with twice the graphical performance of the Tegra 2. Nvidia is already working on the Tegra 3, which will have 3x the graphical performance of the Tegra2 and likely will be quad core. Even Freescale is going to come out with a dual core 1.6GHz offering. Many are pushing for 1GB of RAM to become standard and Androids rapid market growth stands to catch up with iOS by next year.

While the recent disaster in Japan may directly effect the iPad 2 production since they source parts directly from there. But we've yet to see how it will effect the rest of the market.

Pricing is the best thing about the iPad2, but pricing for the other competitive tablets may go down. While many other companies like Archos already offer cheaper alternatives. And unlike last year competitive tablets are actually going to come out this year, which wasn't really the case last year.

Requirements for peripherals are also still a problem, unlike other tablets that will have built in USB ports, card readers, and video out. Though they finally provide a dock port to HDMI cable adapter for the iPad2. So you won't need a docking station for everything and the iPad2 finally supports full HD output resolution.

Then there is the fact other tablets are starting to offer other operating system choices besides just Android, like Chrome and by end of the year even Windows 8. So even if Android doesn't catch up with iOS this year, competing tablets can still potentially offer more.

Btw, the Smart Cover sucks as an actual cover and doesn't really protect the screen from dirt, scratches on the back, and smudges. Though you can use it help stick the iPad2 to a fridge door or as an impromptu stand. But overall skip it and get a real protective casing if you get yourself an iPad2.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 196
Points 2,090

The problem with all these "coming out soon" scenarios is that the iPad is already here, and in second generation form (or 1.5 generation form, depending on how you look at it). And then you have situations where an anticipated tablet like the Xoom finally ships, but without Flash support at launch (one of the iPad's most criticized omissions, and the Xoom's most hyped), and we still have to wait a little while longer for the Wi-Fi only version.

In the coming months, even more tablets will emerge, but if they're to usurp the iPad -- no easy task given Apple's rabid fan base and penchant for marketing -- they won't just have to trump the iPad 2, but rumored specs of the iPad 3, which should start hitting the newswire around the same time.

The iPad 2 is far from the perfect tablet, but it's arguably the best option out there right now, and certainly capable of competing for the next 12 months.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,963
Points 25,700

"The magic is back for a second act, baby, and it doesn't play for the Lakers (that's the other Magic)."

Lol, it took me a second to get the reference. It's not the 80s anymore, you know. :)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Mon, Mar 21 2011 6:20 PM

LOL pictures were FUNNY, but they look too blurry. Whos the one in that mirror pic? looks like dave... :D

*Still no USB port, microSD card slot, or Flash support (don't ever count on that...) lol

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 196
Points 2,090

That's me in the pics showcasing the Photo Booth filters. And yes, the iPad 2 takes grainy, blurry pics. I'm sorely disappointed with the built-in cameras.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 307
Points 2,685
JDiaz replied on Mon, Mar 21 2011 9:04 PM

iPad 2 is already here but it's hardly the next gen device Apple needed to ensure no one else could ever offer better for the rest of the year.

The "coming soon" products are definitely coming out, they're not rumors! This isn't 2010 anymore where Apple had next to zero competition and nothing was in sight for the most of the year, 2011 is a whole new market and like you said the iPad2 is more a 1.5 update than a true 2.0 update.

So only two things will really help keep Apple competitive lead this year, and that's their app market and pricing.

But there are tablets that are cheaper than the iPad, it's just the direct competitors that are priced higher right now but they can easily lower their pricing to better compete. While even the chinese tablets are using similar parts like the same IPS screen.

The rapidly growing mobile market is also pushing for smaller tablets, which the iPad doesn't comply to. And Apple has nothing to offer against Chrome, Meego, Honeycomb, HP's WebOS, other linux distros and the upcoming Windows 8 OS offerings, which combined clearly offers more than Apple is offering with just the iPad2.

Mind you I'm not even going into all the other technical advancements the other tablets will start introducing soon. For things like visual gesture controls, more accurate motion tracking for augmented reality and other uses. Among others...

If it was just iOS vs regular Android then sure, but the tablet market is growing beyond simple usage scenarios and many of us have widely different needs.

I'm sure the iPad2 will remain very popular for the rest of the year but I see it's momentum already starting to ebb... They'll need to come out with shockingly good specs for the iPad3 or they will start to lose momentum altogether.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 29,610

I think the iPad 2 is pointed more for people who have not already bought an iPad 1st gen. People who already own a 1st gen iPad should wait for the gen 3 to come out.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 324
Points 4,305

JDiaz:
But there are tablets that are cheaper than the iPad

But are they better? and 10 inches?

JDiaz:
it's just the direct competitors that are priced higher right now but they can easily lower their pricing to better compete

BUt they are not priced to compete and cant offer the raw power that the  Ipad 2 has.

JDiaz:
The rapidly growing mobile market is also pushing for smaller tablets, which the iPad doesn't comply to.

I never heard that the market is pushing for smaller tablets, where did you get that info? Anything less than 10 inches , I consider not a tablet , but an oversized smart-phone.

JDiaz:
And Apple has nothing to offer against Chrome, Meego, Honeycomb, HP's WebOS, other linux distros and the upcoming Windows 8 OS offerings, which combined clearly offers more than Apple is offering with just the iPad2.

I'm speechless...you gotta be joking??

One note that I Like to add in response to your prior comment..

The GPU chip in the Ipad 2 (PowerVR SGX543MP2 ) completely destroys  Tegra 2. Already 3-5x performance over it.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4216/apple-ipad-2-gpu-performance-explored-powervr-sgx543mp2-benchmarked/1

i7-950@3.8 + Asus Sabertooth X58+ CM692 Advanced+ 6GB A-Data Gaming DDR3@1600

ATI Radeon 6870+ 1TB Hitachi HD+ 750w Modular PSU + Asetek Liquid Cooler + DigitalStorm PC  

YesThanks To HotHardware.ComYes

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,963
Points 25,700
gibbersome replied on Mon, Mar 21 2011 10:20 PM

Paul, from your article I get the sense that you're bemused more than impressed. In an earlier comment you implied that it can be considered iPad 1.5. Your main gripes are the camera, the overhyped smart cover and its weight.

So someone who owns an iPad already doesn't need to upgrade, but what about someone who doesn't. The iPad 2 is going to be in short supply for some time (because supply chain problems related to Japan), so it worth buying it or waiting for the next one?

How likely is Apple to upgrade the camera in the next iteration? What about the processor, since it's already so ahead of the competition, will iPad bother upgrading it? 

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 195
shaun a replied on Mon, Mar 21 2011 10:34 PM

Apple created the market by giving the consumers what they need. Or perhaps by telling consumers what they need. Either way, Apple has a significant lead over any other players in the tablet market.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 196
Points 2,090
Paul_Lilly replied on Mon, Mar 21 2011 11:28 PM

Gibbersome, the wait time for an iPad 2 on Apple's website is 4-5 weeks. If I was in the market for an iPad as a first time owner, and didn't mind waiting a month, that's the one I'd get. It's a little faster for all around computing, and has the potential to be much peppier once developers take advantage of the hardware.

If you're not okay with the wait time, the iPad 1, with it's reduced price, is still a compelling option. I wouldn't recommend holding out for the iPad 3, not if you want to actually use a tablet as opposed to reading about them for the rest of the year.

Of course, this all assumes you're sold on iOS and Apple's iPad infrastructure. If not, there's the Xoom to consider, and whatever other tablets mosey on into the marketplace over the next several months.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 307
Points 2,685
JDiaz replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 3:30 AM

("But are they better? and 10 inches?")

iPad is only 9.7", the others as I already stated cover a far greater range of usage scenarios. You can't fit a 9.7 in your coat pocket and on the flip side there are times when you'll want a bigger tablet and there are those that are 11.6" to 12" as well and a couple even larger than tabloid size...

So yeah, depending on your needs they can be better and yes they cover 10" as well. But most people want to be mobile and 10" is too big for them! 10" and larger is fine for home and basic portable use but you need to go smaller for mobile use. Weight being another factor, as anything around 10" or larger is presently too heavy for one handed use for long periods of time. So as a matter of practicality it starts to become more practical to carry a laptop... Especially for those who actually need a keyboard every now and then...

("BUt they are not priced to compete and cant offer the raw power that the Ipad 2 has.")

Right now, only the PC tablets can offer more but they cost more. Though Oak Trail tablets should be getting price competitive, even if the chip costs about $75 vs a $20 for a ARM solution, and offer a range of OS support. But like I already mentioned they're coming out with ARM offerings much more powerful this year. More than twice as fast and up to quad cores. I also mentioned that Tegra2 is 2010 technology and we're in 2011! iPad2 is only keeping up with what is coming out this year, but aside from coming out first they're not going to keep that lead for the whole year this time.

Though the 9x better graphics is a good reason to upgrade from the first gen iPad, but it'll still be awhile before they take full advantage of those graphics.

Meanwhile, those who would actually game on a portable device will have the Nintendo DS 3D and the Sony PSP2, which while also ARM based will be providing about the same graphics as the iPad2 (uses the same PowerVR SGX543MP2) on the go and lots more games and far better control options than any tablet.

While virtually every tablet and smart phone will soon support HD video and video output, which is what most people will be satisfied with for their non-gaming needs. Just to put some perspective...

Btw, for owners of the original iPad, it seems after about 9 months of normal use the run time drops to about 6 hours and of course the battery is non-user replaceable. So the iPads have a built in reason to upgrade after a year... at least unless you can manage a battery replacement from Apple or don't mind voiding your warranty and doing it yourself.

("I never heard that the market is pushing for smaller tablets, where did you get that info? Anything less than 10 inches , I consider not a tablet , but an oversized smart-phone.")

Look up the hundreds of tablets that have been released and look at their screen sizes? Even with those iPad clone tablets that even use the same 9.7 IPS screen, the vast majority are less than 10", even the iPad is as previously stated only 9.7" in size and not a true 10" screen. Most 10" and larger tablets have been the PC Windows type prior to this year.

The Xoom is actually one of the first mainstream ARM 10" tablets from a big name company. The Samsung Galaxy Tab was only 7" and the Dell Streak was only 5", even the new Dell Streak is only 7" and the upcoming RIM Playbook is only going to be 7". While most other 10" models were from smaller companies, like the Notion Ink tablet and they haven't been out that long.

Besides, technically even the iPad is just a enlarged iPhone. Both use the same OS, the iPhone 4 used the same A4 chip as the iPad (just double the RAM) and the iPhone 5 will similarly use the same A5 processor as the iPad2 for example. Ditto for Tegra2, which has gone into quite a number of Smart Phones, while some like the Atrix 4G have more interesting dock options. The only thing the screen size does is change some aspects of how you use the device but what the device is capable of is pretty much the same.

While some would argue none of them are really tablets without having a digitizer and pen input... it's not just about the size basically.

("I'm speechless...you gotta be joking??")

Not at all, fact is Apple is keeping pretty distinct separations between its product offerings and don't want to offer a range of products with any overlap in functionality beyond the iPhone/iTouch and iPads. While iOS itself is an OS originally designed for the iPhone and like regular Android was only adopted for use for tablets and lacks the full functionality like you would get from OSX.

MS making Windows 8 ARM compatible is basically like Apple offering OSX for the iPad 2. What you can do with the device would be far more than what you can do now. While the other alternative OS's also offer their own usage scenarios and benefits.

HP will be heavily pushing WebOS, and Google will be pushing Chrome, Android and Honeycomb version which is finally designed for tablets.

While Apple continues to tweak iOS, but with their limits that they put in by design. Even with people knowing they can jailbreak, they're basically going to face the same situation as they did with PC's where they give a nicely polished and high performing solution and their competition will be less polished on average but gives more choices. Predominantly people go with choices and the iPad is partly successful because we haven't really had choices up till now but soon we'll have lots of choices and it'll be a mistake to underestimate the impact of that change.

("The GPU chip in the Ipad 2 (PowerVR SGX543MP2 ) completely destroys Tegra 2. Already 3-5x performance over it.")

No, it was 2-5x, the 3x was versus the original iPad with the textured triangle geometry test and I already mentioned that Tegra2 is 2010 technology. Nvidia is already working on the Tegra3 and this just puts it closer to the expected graphical performance of the upcoming Qualcomm dual core 1.5GHz chip, but the iPad2 only has about 50% improved CPU performance compared to the original and the Qualcomm will be both also a dual core but also clocked 50% higher, as the A5 is still only 1GHz. While the Tegra 3 will offer even better graphics and will be quad (4) core and clocked even higher still. Some ARM offerings coming out will even be over 2.5GHz and all coming out before the iPad3.

Never mind the improvements they expect when the move the ARM cores to Cortex-A15...

Besides other products are also getting the same PowerVR SGX543MP2 as the iPad2, along with other competing graphic solutions.

Especially when Windows 8 comes out before the end of this year we should see much more powerful ARM offerings to properly run Windows 8, and yes they've commissioned the development of ARM processors specifically for running Windows 8 already...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 307
Points 2,685
JDiaz replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 12:55 PM

Apple didn't create the tablet market, they just made it popular again... PC tablets have been around for over a decade and people have been wanting tablets ever since Sci-Fi series STTNG data pads made the concept a house hold idea back in the 90's.

The iPad's success had a lot to do with Apple marketing, which they are second to none, and timing but the game changer they really introduced was using an OS designed from the ground up for touch interface. Being based on Smart Phone technology is what made it affordable as well.

Since what hampered PC tablets is that they often ran Windows, which isn't designed from the ground up for a touch or even pen only interface. Also the hardware requirements for running Windows is a lot higher than what you need to run iOS or Android.

Really, even a netbook is more powerful than most tablets and only recently have ARM systems gotten powerful enough to run a normal desktop OS without being very sluggish. But low performance makes it easier to run longer on the same battery capacity and low resource requiring OS means these systems can still be speedy enough to be useful and its the combination that made the iPad possible.

All combined with a lack of any real competition from any other major company let the iPad pretty much take over the tablet market for 2010. Now we're in 2011 and the other companies are finally bringing in the competition and we'll all soon get a lot more choices to choose from.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,861
Points 24,255
digitaldd replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 1:30 PM

And its got magic magnets. Now no one is allowed to use the word magnets or Apple will sue the hell out of you cause they "invented" them.

;)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 12:43 AM

I don't know the 3 that dropped today seem like good competition for the iPad2.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 11:29 AM

rofl digitaldd good one I see a lot of innovation on Apple devices and the OS, but the things is it is a single channel world technology wise. When you look everywhere else there are multiple, multiple channels. It just seems so strained to me when you are talking lasting impact. My brother got an iPad2 on release day of course there is not the rush the store attitude about Apple devices in Atlanta it seems. I have never seen anyone waiting in a mega line outside an Apple store, or anyone who distributes there products (BB, At&t, Verizon). Yes there stores will not be empty, but the waiting in line desperate for a just released Apple device around here does not seem to exist. I think he picked his up at Target on a in out visit no big deal. I personally have not seen it yet though. I think in the long run Apple will be Apple with there normal iSheep in tow, and everyone else somewhere else.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
tbg10101 replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 11:43 PM

I'm actually going to hold out until the iPad 3. I predict that it will be more groundbreaking. 

By iPad 3 I mean legit iPad 3, not the "2.5" rumored to be released in September. Unless it is the legit iPad 3. 

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 470

I agree I held out for the iPad 2 now that is here. I think I will once again hold out for the iPad 3. There is just nothing the I feel really pushes my to buy this. I want to see better options from AT&T and Verizon. I still have my iPhone 3gs b/c I don't want to give up my unlimited data. I blow through 3 GBs per month easily, I use pandora and the TWIT.tv app for music and tech news. We need to get back to unlimited. Or atleast come out with a mifi that is unlimited on 3g not just 4g. 4g being limited to the metro area.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Thu, Mar 24 2011 10:58 AM

*Sigh* Where is the expandable memory Apple? We need something that covers all the bases while still providing for future upgrades in hardware.

"I have the power!!"

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 470

That is just what I wanted a slot for an SD card would be great even if it was microSD. I hate having to pay an arm and leg for a few more GB. Apple does make great products, but they need to loosen up on everything being proprietary. If I spend 500+ I would like to have the option to expand memory or replace the battery for a decent price.

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 370
Specjre replied on Thu, Mar 24 2011 11:54 AM

I didn't really care for the first one the upgrades have me thinking about it though. Still think I'll wait for the next iphone before jumping on the ipad band wagon.

Not Ranked
Posts 39
Points 345

I just don't get it, why would you want one of these when you could get a Asus Eee Slate?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Regarding the software, it takes a while for developers to come to understand the market, create a app,and get it approved (at least in my industry). The first app for the ipad for reading medical images just got approved by the FDA. I'm sure more will follow suit. Last RSNA was all Ipad all the time. We (small medical imaging developer shop) are looking into it, but at this point we are going to have to rewrite years of code just to get something into this space. So if you are asking for reasons why complex software does not come out, it is due to manpower and cost. If we had a customer that came to us and said they would sign a contract if we had an Ipad app, then that would be a strong reason to develop something. But as it is, we would have to stop dev. other apps and focus on this, and hope that somehow we can make it profitable. Its kinda risky in our field, where 1 customer can help pay for a software generation. (1-2 years development).

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 470

I can get behind that the cost in time and resources may not be worth the cost of producing code without a backer. I don't do front end development I work in a supercomputer center, but I know all about the why and how of developing. If a major company comes in and says we want xyz I get my ass in gear and get it done otherwise I am writing code to improve upon things already in place. I would like to do some stuff for the iPad but at the moment everything I do is in linux and pc. I don't see much benefit yet in getting a mac. Besides I like photoshop better for the PC if just for the sake of remembering the hotkeys. However, I do love my iPhone and eventually it will push me into developing, possibly when the iPhone 5 comes out.

I enjoy those medical and chemistry apps. I could have used on in my last chem class. and the med. imaging would have been good in my jaunt into anatomy physiology. Got to love exploring new concepts when you have all of your electives out of the way.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 70

Definitely waiting for the next gen or atleast something comprable with a better price point.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 70

I doubt Apple will ever put an SD slot on any of their mobile devices.

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 475
KAdair replied on Mon, Apr 11 2011 8:43 PM

I personally love my i4 :) i think ipad is just kinda dumb in my opinion, it has hardly no differences from the iphone, besides there are better tablets out there i think ipad is overated...

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 125

Great review HH!! Waiting to buy an iPad for two main purposes........to read PDF books and digital comics. Nothing like lying down on the bed to read books and comics with a tablet!!! :-)

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 50
LAddvart replied on Thu, Dec 22 2011 1:59 AM

funny how Apple leads and the world follows.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,439
Points 102,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Jan 15 2012 7:20 PM

My iPad-II is a decent device. It does everything that I want it to do, and well.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Page 1 of 1 (34 items) | RSS