Overclocking Video Cards - Monitoring Temps and Stability

rated by 0 users
This post has 100 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Thu, Sep 29 2011 2:14 PM

realneil:

Two 22"  (Acer & ViewSonic) and a 27" ASUS right now. I gave the two 21" Samsung SyncMasters to the wife for her office.

But I have most of the cash laid aside for another 27" ASUS soon. Possible that I'll have three 27's by New Years.

ok cool llooking for a new screen or 2  myself guys >> and Newegg has a bit of a 72 hour sale going on NOW ya think BF3 Beta may have something to to with it?

some pretty good deals .Especially if you get the E-blast ! mail !

.by the way Neil what model Asus 27" screen do you have ? very interested as to which screen that is ! Been previously eying the Planar 27 from the daily deals post in HH but may go with Asus if I can swing a deal and 'da $$ tis weekend  ..Damn fridge replacement may have pooched getting 2 !  lol  ;)

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Thu, Sep 29 2011 2:27 PM

TaylorKarras:
Sony GDM-FW900 24" CRT monitor. This one is a serious oldie but it is a goodie, I mean what other CRT Widescreen can there be. I do fear that my monitor will one day fail and I won't have the resources to repair it .(seriously these things are getting rarer and rarer.)

heya Taylor actually still using a ViewSonic A 90 f+ from '03  and still looking pretty good  these days but not up to 'snuff. It would have been puitched out a few years ago <<and most folks >> toss 'em out when they appear to losose brightness and contrast over time ..

***Did you ever it open it up and tweak ' the the internal  brightness /contrast 'pot's inside ?***

Note : You would likely remember doing so 'cuz the easy and best way for us to do this is with a the system on and a trusty screwdriver in hand.And you would be aware that the insides of a CRT even without it being plugged in can kill you.  Can easily update this thread with some more info and pic on doing this.

yeah I know another Disclaimer may be in the works  lol :) .>>>But may be just the 'tweak'  for keeping what some folks have running acceptably,out of the dumpster or the being the favorite for your Aunt Mavis ..:)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,935
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Sep 29 2011 6:05 PM

rrplay:
Neil what model Asus 27" screen do you have ?

It's an ASUS VE276. I plan to buy three of the exact same ones if I can pull it off.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Thu, Sep 29 2011 6:39 PM

realneil:

rrplay:
Neil what model Asus 27" screen do you have ?

It's an ASUS VE276. I plan to buy three of the exact same ones if I can pull it off.

Having three would be sweet !

Do you have any additional comments ?with this:

ASUS VE276Q Black 27" 1920X1080 2ms Full HD HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor >>299.00 currently free ship
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236091

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 3:09 AM

...pending.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 3:46 AM

rrplay:
***Did you ever it open it up and tweak ' the the internal  brightness /contrast 'pot's inside ?***

No, I don't even know if it has the brightness/contrast pots inside. I just bought myself an RLC cable/serial to USB converter, plugged it into my computer and modified the settings using WinDAS. I had to lower the G2 voltage a lot (because anything above just gives me really poor black levels) but it's worth it.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 9:03 AM

TaylorKarras:

No, I don't even know if it has the brightness/contrast pots inside. I just bought myself an RLC cable/serial to USB converter, plugged it into my computer and modified the settings using WinDAS. I had to lower the G2 voltage a lot (because anything above just gives me really poor black levels) but it's worth it.

Practically all CRTs do have them ! Along with the color and freq sync trimmers .& you do not need to touch those at all !it is in internal tweak to the monitor itself.NO software, driver or anything else will extend the life &  usability of the monitor.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 9:21 AM

eunoia:

Whut?You can use TRIXX or MSI Afterburner with any brand.

yep & lol thought for a sec he wanted to re flash it to improve the performance ..In a way a good thing to have the additional disclaimer posted to include bios -reflash for GPU upgrade performance.Even though it may not be as popular a tweak & common as it once was.

***Any of you guys try to post a screenshot of the GPU core & temps ?  GPU-Z  & your favorite GPU Tweak tool ,with some thing like Furmark running like shown in the previous posts to share ? also the perfect place to post a screen from the OCCT PSU Test if you suspect your PSU is funky .

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,935
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 9:42 AM

rrplay:
yep & lol thought for a sec he wanted to re flash it to improve the performance .

No, actually, I was just screwing around when I made that comment. Now if I had a HD6950 here in my hot little hands, I would try to flash it to get the unlocked shaders and the near HD6970 performance from the card,.........~insert disclaimer here~ but the sad fact is that AMD's newer designs have all but eliminated that particular tweak.

I think that's a shame,.......but, I understand it from AMD's point of view.

Sapphire's Toxic Radeon HD6950 2GB version actually has a dual BIOS on it, and there is a switch to set it from one BIOS to the other. The card comes with the second BIOS already programed for unlocked shaders. Just power down your system and flick the switch and you're good to go.

Trying to find that card is quite the task though. Suddenly Sapphire has quit distributing the card (thanks AMD) and nobody has them anymore.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 10:33 AM

realneil:

Sapphire's Toxic Radeon HD6950 2GB version actually has a dual BIOS on it, and there is a switch to set it from one BIOS to the other. The card comes with the second BIOS already programed for unlocked shaders. Just power down your system and flick the switch and you're good to go.

Trying to find that card is quite the task though. Suddenly Sapphire has quit distributing the card (thanks AMD) and nobody has them anymore.

wouldn't it be great if someone had that card ran one Bios powered up & posted some screens similar to above desktop shots of GPU-Z  TriXX or Tweak tool of choice with Furmark or something ..and then ran the other Bios and posted.the screens shots..we could see the changes at a glance ..pretty cool ! Stuff like that be similar to a similar to a  fraction of what goes on with GPU tests an reviews

still good stuff to share or share what ya got  with what you work with  Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,935
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 12:30 PM

rrplay:
or share what ya got  with what you work with

Yeah, I wish I would have found out about those Sapphire Toxic Radeon HD6950 2GB cards sooner than I did. I would like to have had two of them for crossfire and run them unlocked too.

There isn't a whole lot of headroom built into the XFX Radeon HD6870 Black that I have and it's going to be shipped to my daughter later today anyway. (she made a convincing case as to why she should have it)

So I'm stuck with the GTX570's for now,  but that's not very ~stuck~ is it?

As for overclocking video cards at all, I rarely do it. The ones I buy are already running fast with factory OC's in them, and there's not a lot of room for improvement in them anyway.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 12:55 PM

realneil:

There isn't a whole lot of headroom built into the XFX Radeon HD6870 Black that I have and it's going to be shipped to my daughter later today anyway. (she made a convincing cases as to why she should have it)

Actually more interested in  the compelling argument your daughter made than the headroom built into the card   Smile

***I don't think any one would consider being stuck with 2 GTX 570's

Since I currently have a PowerColor HD5770 and expecting to get a Sapphire 6850 from an AMD prize on FB or Twitter I still want to see how those 2 guys compare and post the screen shots re: clock & temps cause both of those have quite a bit of  headroom that's noticeable.& just 'cuz   Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,935
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 2:06 PM

rrplay:
Actually more interested in  the compelling argument your daughter made than the headroom built into the card   Smile

Well it's simple,...considering that she just bought me an iPad.

~She said that she needed another video card~  because hers was toast, and asked me what to buy. Her husband just bought a EVGA GTX590 and she didn't want to spend that kind of money on herself. So, being Dad, I gave her a choice between the XFX card and a EVGA GTX285 2GB card that I have here. I pointed out that the GTX285 (dual GPU on one PCB) was probably a little faster, but it only does DX10 and not DX11 like the Radeon card does.

She opted for the XFX card. She's a smart girl. (and the GTX285 is back on the shelf)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 2:48 PM

realneil:

Well it's simple,...considering that she just bought me an iPad....

I just luv stories like this Yes.....

I dunno let me see an iPad >>> Facebook  { bet she was surprised to see you on Facebook !] >>>what next ? Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,935
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 4:33 PM

rrplay:
what next ?

We'll see after this contest is over,......Smile

The iPad  was a nice gift. I'm still getting used to it and I like it for what it is, but it will never replace my desktop PC's. No Way.

The screen is pretty nice in that it shows colors correctly and has a nice quality to it. I think that it will probably end up as a way to show our pictures to people when we travel around.

It's got a GPS function too and that works good. It connects to the Verizon Network (3G style) and does a good job of not losing the signal all of the time. GPS accuracy is within a 100ft. radius most of the time unless you're traveling at highway speeds. Then, I'd say it's about 300ft..

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Sat, Oct 1 2011 3:07 AM

...pending.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,935
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Oct 1 2011 11:12 AM

eunoia:
More screwing around?

No, in real world use, in the same PC, it's a little faster than the other one was. Snappier if you will. I didn't use benchmarks to compare them,......but the GTX card has dual GPU's and 2GB of RAM instead of 1GB. Too bad there is no way to upgrade it to do DX11.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Sun, Oct 2 2011 11:13 PM

...pending.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,935
MembershipAdministrator

I was wrong about the card having dual GPU's on it. But it does have 2GB of RAM.

Sorry about posting incorrect info.

THIS IS THE CARD

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Fri, Oct 7 2011 3:39 PM

...pending.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,935
MembershipAdministrator

BF3's on a lot of people's minds lately.

It's hard to pin down what you ~really need to have~ as opposed to what you hear from retailers as to what's needed to play.

One site that I go to has a general consensus going that it will take at least GTX580's to play (high settings) properly.

This can't be true, and if it is, then I think that the game makers are shooting themselves in the foot right from the start.

When I'm giving parts advice to people, I HATE to tell them, "gimme it all!,...gimme more,...more!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Oct 7 2011 4:32 PM

realneil:
This can't be true, and if it is, then I think that the game makers are shooting themselves in the foot right from the start.

It isn't. I have a 6950 and I'm playing the beta on at least high settings with 40FPS... And from a tweet from DICE that I read, it takes like two GTX 580's for it to be playable in ultra but I'd doubt it when I have two of my 6950's in Crossfire playing the game with as respectable framerates as the SLI 580 setup.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Wed, Oct 26 2011 12:10 PM

Here  is a simple way to clock,notice temps and find a fan profile that's suitable .along with adequate cooling performance ..Some fans sound slightly a bit noisier at some rpms under full load and when things heat up a bit.

Here is  bit of OC and fan profile tweaking with Furmark [toggled -doughnut] GPU-Z, [note 2 screens info - sensors pages]& TriXX Utility

This is card info SAPPHIRE HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 PCIE

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?leg=&psn=0001&pid=497&lid=1

Would likely  have better overall temps in a different chassis other than the SilverStone SG-07 ..Just took a few minutes to post and share this since there was a brief discussion elsewhere in another tread  i.e. >> some one may have mentioned earlier about setting up and tweaking a cards fan profile

Edit :

got this card last  week from a Rockin Austin City Limits promotion last month sponsored by AMD and Sapphire

@AMDatACL had a promotion last month and Sapphire was one of the generous sponsors and a Very Happy Camper here .
Thank you AMD and Sapphire ! as well as Jon Peters over at AMD in working out the details for sending me my card.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 10:17 AM

ooops  !! Forgot to check the Full screen check box when setting up the 'timed screen- shot to show the toggle

Similar stress demos and benches Lost Planet etc and others can also be shared.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 3:07 PM

Cool, rrplay is still rocking the furmark. I haven't done any overclocking as of late but I will say that I am rocking an at-the-moment 910MHz GPU, 1135MHz Memory, 1.105V overclock on my 6950.

If possible, I will run various benchmark programs and post the results here.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 5:10 PM

Not really rocking anything, just took a few minutes to help someone out by  tweaking a fan profile  & OC from another thread.  Looks to me there is a bit more performance my card at this time just matching an OC from a previous review that's all.But  mostly  to acknowledge the Sapphire folks with some of the potential this HD 6850 card has. The screen-shot gives  a total view at a glance  takes a few extra minutes do to showing all the pertinent info of cores, clocks & , temps,, there are some other screens in this thread showing the CPU under a very very full LinPack along with the GPU Under a heavy Furmark Burn ...sort.of a do it yourself OCCT ..

..by the way Taylor don't forget to check out some of the PSU tests in OCCT may recall those graphs in OCCT would likely have indicated  a slightly 'wonky' PSU which you were dealing with a while back.

benchmarks may be one thing , solid and stable clocks with adequate temps are another.

still a good idea to leave a bit of 'headroom'  with any OC for summer or <whatever> !!

have Fun

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 2:01 PM

*** Here is another interesting tool to measure GPU performance and thought to add it here and have a bit of fun with it.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20101210/gpu-tool-demoscene-shadertoymark-0-2-0-opengl-pixel-shader-benchmark-sli-crossfire/

[GPU Tool] ShaderToyMark 0.2.0 Demomakers’ Benchmark Available with Better SLI and CrossFire Support

*** Take a look at some of the notes on this page as well.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20100903/gpu-tool-shadertoymark-extreme-pixel-shader-benchmark/

Even though the native resolution may appear to be low,, the pixel shaders used simultaneously can  easily stress some of today's fastest cards.

Takes about 60 seconds to run.

Have Fun ! and compare you cards performance.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 2:21 PM

One of the main reasons I check-out the Shader Toy Mark test was because I have a Sapphire HD6859 at this time .With the 960 Shaders

*** Radeon HD 6850 with 960 and 1120 Shaders: TessMark and ShaderToyMark Comparisons

http://www.geeks3d.com/20101025/radeon-hd-6850-with-960-and-1120-shaders-tessmark-and-shadertoymark-comparisons/

Here are some results:

Stock Clock

Modest OC as previous:

*** Noticed the my scores were  bit better than some of  the ones seen on the ShaderToy page and other reviews of this particular card. It is most likely due to better drivers that are available these days .[Catalyst v. 11.9] 

It would be most interesting to see what some results that others have to share and post with any of the GPU tests previously mentioned .Including GPU-Z make it very easy to see all the info too.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 2:32 PM

*** Here are my Tessmark Scores with the Sapphire HD 6850 w/ 960 Shaders.

Most Games :
moderate = tessellation factor of 8
normal = tessellation factor of 16  

HD 6850 Stock Moderate

HD 6850 Stock Normal

HD 6850 OC Moderate

HD 6850 OC Normal

*** It should also be mentioned that the 6850's OC 850/1100 appears to run a bit cooler temps and that is because the all of the previous 'stock- clock'  runs were done with the default automatic fan profile.

Yep the Sapphire TriXX utility can do the trick with an OC and fan profile 'tweak'.Tessmark can also be used instead of Furmark to stress a GPU and tweak a fan profile while monitoring temps with the stability setting instead of benchmark..you will most likely be able to hear that fan 'ramp' up with Tessmark.

Nice card Sapphire  ! & Thanks Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

I want a new card.... Sad

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,935
MembershipAdministrator

So is this any good then? i7-870, 16GB DDR1600MHz. with a GTX-570

And then there's the AMD APU A8-3850 8GB DDR3-1600 with Internal Graphics here:

And then there is the i7-2600K with 16GB DDR3-2133MHz. and a GTX570 ASUS card.

All in all, the CPU and system RAM don't mean a lot to the results of this test,...it's all based on the graphics card's capabilities.

Both my i7-870 and i7-2600K scored the same because they have GTX570's in them. The AMD APU didn't score well at all,...but it plays games just fine.

Go figure,...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

i7-920@2.8, 6gb DDR3-1600 (triple channel), Diamond HD5870

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 7:19 PM

Nice  to see you guy playing with some Shader Toy. how about adding some GPU-Z & or CPU-Z in the screen shots  lot more info at a glance.

Especially  the unified shader info for this one ! As well as the info of the system being used at a glance.Yes

& hide some of the desktop clutter too lol :)

So ran the above OC version with the load fan profile plus the gpu / cpu info :

*** Will def take one those EVGA 560Ti cards out of the new rig sometime time and see what the single card will do too.

>>> Edit: DerMeister !   what ya mean you want a new card ! the 5870 is very nice ! ...BTW  I did see  that you have rather have gotten a  Sapphire in the other thread. <oooopps!>Embarrassed

>>>@Neil my i7 870 is just my day to clock profile and the CPU speed does not affect these results with ShaderToy that much if at all...Heaven Benchmark  is a different matter me thinkx.

**** Pooched the grammar on DerMeisters remark and fixed it

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,935
MembershipAdministrator

He has a Diamond card, says he should have got the Sapphire instead.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 7:32 PM

realneil:

He has a Diamond card, says he should have got the Sapphire instead.

yep I got it I  saw he has the Diamond in the other thread and worded the remark wrong  I 'll fix it pronto

OK Done !

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,935
MembershipAdministrator

So by other scores do you mean this?

Or this?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 9:24 PM

Well sort of ..the version of Heaven I have is this one and my setting are different with my new monitors. The Asus 23:" 1920x1080+ Vysync enabled. Full screen and the screenie tells the rest at this time.Pretty sure I would have much higher FPS with 1024x768 windowed too.

*** most of the previouse discussion regarding HD 6850 was due to the info I happened to spot about 2 different counts of shader clocks with the HD 6850s  one had 960 unified shaders [like mine] and another was released with 1120 shaders.& thought to check out the  Shader ToyMark app along with the Tessmark app as well.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20101025/radeon-hd-6850-with-960-and-1120-shaders-tessmark-and-shadertoymark-comparisons/

Still a bit of fun and don't mind the occasional trip to the 'doghouse' thread with some of this.not only that going to have too add the ShaderToyMark App & check the original OP of this thread to update....still a  HH community workshop thread that is in development and fun too. ! Smile.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,935
MembershipAdministrator

This PC doesn't have a 1920X1080 capable screen attached to it.

It is 21" screen that just does 1680X1050 Max.

So here is a score at my max resolution.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 9:59 PM

Oh i see I thought that you were using one the 27" screens you have. I know when I had started this thread the I had the 19" CRT with a max of 1600x1200 and ran the 'stuff' at played resolution's with the hardware I had at the time. Had an old 21" myself till it longer worked and for gaming it was great till death we did part sometime last year.

Any hoo- WoWW !! is all anyone can say as to what goes into a review with the testing. yet nothing can compare to follow along,have some fun and learn along the way working with what's available.

BTW: Neil just 'cuz' & for the heck of it sometime .....

Do You have a GPU to pop into your AMD APU A8-3850 8GB DDR3-1600 rig to compare some 'stuff' for folks to see ??

That might be interesting .

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,935
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 10:09 PM

I already have a discrete XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB card in the 'Puter and it's in "Hybrid Crossfire" with the A8-3850's onboard graphics system.
I don't have another DX-11 Card to put into it, but I'll have another discrete 6670 at the end of the week. Trouble is that they don't have a crossfire connector on them.

I do have a GTX285 2GB card on the shelf, but I'm liking this little low cost PC a lot, just like it is. As you can see by that score I posted, It's not busting any Grapes, but it really DOES play games well.

Maybe I'll try the Heaven bench on it.

OK so this is the AMD box running Heaven 2.5 with all of the eye candy on as default. Slow, but rendered everything nicely.

Page 2 of 3 (101 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS