Any musicians in here?

rated by 0 users
This post has 52 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn Posted: Thu, Mar 3 2011 1:20 PM

Surely some of you here might be musicians... Post up if you are.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 155
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Use to be Trombone and Bass Guitar. though I haven't played in about 8 years.

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,650
coolice replied on Thu, Mar 3 2011 1:43 PM

I definitely not a professional musician, but i do enjoy playing percussion instruments;

instruments i've played around with:

Drums, Steel Pans (bass, tenor and alto), Tabla, Dhol, Hang Drum. 

I lean more towards the percussions that require precise finger movements to produce sounds (hang, tabla). When I went through a classical indian/east asian music phase, i was just blown away by the tabla and had to learn it.... i didnt get any formal lessons, i dont know how to play the classical stuff, but give me a tabla and i can give you a beat haha. Same with the hang. 

My dream is to learn the bass and a cello... and then later on, a bass guitar. But Cello trumps the list, thats one instrument i really want to learn how to play. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Thu, Mar 3 2011 2:19 PM

What a great idea for a thread   >>

Even though I am not actively involved playing for many years

I was a professional musician for many years in an earlier career.Playing all types of  percussion instruments which includes the mallet keyboard instruments also  Latin percussion such as congas an timbales dumbeck  etc in various venues such as stage shows,ballrooms,nightclubs,recording studios,and toured the US several times with various groups

Also was a college instructor at a Music Conservatory at [artist in residence] &  taught privately and music theory ..did some arranging as well at that time  which was a block away from Orchestra Hall and performed there several times..

Even thought I have not been actively playing for many years some of the threads and comments shared by members like coolice remind me of some these times.. like the speakers thread as well the counting cat legs mini quiz ..that was a little puzzle shared when teaching others how to count and subdivide with the Essential of Rhythm class that was pretty popular and mandatory  with the college kids.

Occasionally run into some that i used to know in Chicago like ex wife that plays piano concerts once in a while in Europe and South America  or a surprise message in FB from someone that I played /  toured with or taught .

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,650
coolice replied on Thu, Mar 3 2011 3:51 PM

All that math just to teach music.... Dang man!!! 

And wow, i am mucho jealous.... i've always wanted to be formally trained on any instrument. I've always tried to teach myself, simply because the high school i went to didnt have the best equipment, so i had to resort to other methods. Also, i couldnt, and still cant afford like $40/ hr for a lesson, you kidding me, With all the videos and books i can find in the library or online now!..

Sooo, i invest in a pair of broken tabla's that a friend of mine acquired, apparently from a temple... the skin was fine, it just needed some wood work. It didnt sound the best hahah, but it could bang on it hahaha, i wasnt complaining... This is one instrument you need someone to teach you and then get LOTS of practice. Your finger movements need to be quick and concise. you need to leverage weight and force. Think like when pressing the frets of a guitar... press too hard, the string stops vibrating, too low, it continues to vibrate. 

You'd think there are only a handful of sounds a tabla can make... but once you start experimenting... its crazy. Like taking a glass bottle, smacking the drum, then lightly running it across the surface... you get some really interesting sounds... also the dryness of your finger makes a difference as well. hands down, its the hardest percussion instrument i've tackled.

Steels pans, my highschool used to have them when i was there... so i picked it up. They got rid of them because they were expensive to tune every year, by the time i reached grade 11... bummer, but i enjoyed them thoroughly. 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,650
coolice replied on Thu, Mar 3 2011 3:53 PM

Skip to like a minute into it... then about 2:30 minutes into it. 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,650
coolice replied on Thu, Mar 3 2011 3:57 PM

This is another instrument i'd love to try someday. Its sounds soooo complex

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Thu, Mar 3 2011 4:05 PM

enjoying your comments as always    the cat leg count was a semester break ply no big deal but fun

and I liked your comments amount fingers and hands  when I played congas and the dumbeck my hands were pretty conditioned and joints were pretty fat !

very very similiar to the vid @ 5:04  rem,ber playing this outside as well on Rush Street with jazz fusion band at the time the drum is ceramic so had to be xtra careful except not much of a fingers style guy but more Chicago Afro Cuban Style a whole lot heavier and danceable which is what I was accustomed to hearing &  what i learned from others

very very true about all the info online today for musicians training tha great and free  ...when I toured and had to sub my private lessons it was suggested by Anthony Braxton drummer Thurman Barker  at the time for me to get 2 subs for Saturday schedule re:about 16 -17 half hour lessons  lots of grade and high schools kids that wanted to play like  Neill Pert  anyhow the lessons were about 12 00 ?? i forget but do remember how much fun it was to put the 12 year old's in recitals and programs with some of the college underclassmen

Not Ranked
Posts 63
Points 945

Classical fingerstyle guitar mainly. Though knowing the piano was necessary to get through all the music theory and musicianship requisites as well. I picked up the fife when I had to wear a head bandage for a while, but that was only to play around. 

I can understand why most people dread music theory classes, but I enjoyed them. Gave me a much firmer grasp of  how to interpret what is happening on score. And you almost never see a number higher than 13 unless you are talking about beat.

I whistle too.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 168
Points 2,815
4hams replied on Thu, Mar 3 2011 7:48 PM

Like Der Meister i played the Trombone but it was about 33 years ago.  LOL

I play a very little bit of guitar.  Sold the 2 electrics I had (Telecaster & Lado Hawk series) about 14 years ago and just have a Fender cutaway acoustic now.

i7 920 @ 4.1
ASUS P6X58D Premium
G.SKILL DDR3 2000
PATRIOT INFERNO 100GB OCZ Vertex 60GB 
HD 5850 1GB GDDR5
Seasonic 80 PLUS GOLD X-SERIES 750W
CORSAIR H50 Push/Pull
HP 19" f1905b
Windows 7 PRO 64Bit
CM STORM SNIPER (Black Edition)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Tue, Apr 19 2011 8:47 PM

I am in this pic somewhere :Hint List Piano Concerto Orchestra Hall Chicago

also in this one:

what interesting is a story about who was next to me in the pic> surprisingly it was there first time playing with a real symphonic orchestra esp one of this caliber !

playing a Gershwin Piano Concerto no less.in Orchestra Hall & can share more if you like another time.[just another day as a working musician]

All you have to do is find me in the pics. Very easySmile

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 168
Points 2,815
4hams replied on Thu, Apr 21 2011 10:46 AM

Well don't keep us in suspense!  Where are ya?  

i7 920 @ 4.1
ASUS P6X58D Premium
G.SKILL DDR3 2000
PATRIOT INFERNO 100GB OCZ Vertex 60GB 
HD 5850 1GB GDDR5
Seasonic 80 PLUS GOLD X-SERIES 750W
CORSAIR H50 Push/Pull
HP 19" f1905b
Windows 7 PRO 64Bit
CM STORM SNIPER (Black Edition)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Thu, Apr 21 2011 11:25 AM

4hams:

Ok ths 1st pic I am standing to left of the kettle drums [blonde hair] that;s Don who was one of my best friends and later the best man at my wedding.the music was a List piano Concerto and likely sometimes refereed to as the triangle concerto' where the pianist plays all these runs and there some nifty musical interplay with the piano soloist ...and gotta say the rehearsal; in the afternoon was most excruciating for me even  best pal temp disowned me because everything that i played in rehearsal sounded like jazz  LOL likely 'cause of me playing in hotel ballrooms with some big band that week  oh well def NOTgood

def a  bit too swingy for Franz List !!>> most inappropriate & major doghouse with conductor orch members piano soloist and agent ..until showtime & what I did was go down the street to the library and listen to several recordings of the sequence in the afternoon and only a few sounded ok to me and I knew what to do.

..the interactin in the actual performance was sheer delite and we were flying  as good 'ol Franz List baby intended with smiles & approval of Larsen [conductor] during the delightful musical exchange 

you see there is always a lot of play in rrplay  and you can count on it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Thu, Apr 21 2011 12:02 PM

4hams:

Ok now in the second picture I am next to blue concert bass drum with the crash cymbals. & we are playing a Gerswhin piano Concerto that has quite a bit or percussion soli  & yep you are paid as soloist guys with this one ! just look at the pic you may notice the man playing concert bass drum in the blue shirt.

His name is Geraldo 'de Oliveira one of the top Brazillian latin percussionist in Chicago at the time and likely still is ! & good pal of of mine.What happened was that the conductor wanted me to get someone fast to play the part that day.This had to be done right with one rehearsal.So Geraldo was around and I asked him he would sub.He could get a great sound out of any percussion instrument & great musician overall ..just could not quite READ music all that well & did not know the music at all that OR that he was going to playing some powerful solo Bass Drum Solo Shots !

and I gotta tell you guys man you can feel like the big man almighty playing stuff like this in Orchestra Hall ! you may get the feeling that you can almost touch those folks in the 1st balcony and getting to wind up & totally unload on a pair of  hand cymbals  is just electric IF you got enough play in you and the conductor will allow it !

anyhooo... back to  the extremely wide - eyed Geraldo 'de Oliveira in the blue shirt [close enough] unable to really read music [close enough too!] but great musician anytime /anyhwere ...the plan was   I gave a him several left elbow jabs in rehearsal for his cues a bit painful but effective.

come showtime backstage i kept vocalizing his part for him reminding him to lock in with Larsen [cond]  he is still shaking away as whether he can

He delivered BigTime !! & Larsen wanted more ! a very good thing ! ! he got it  heck it looks like I may be digging a bit more Too!

He never forgot this nite and was so proud &  happy to share a pic like this with family and friends back home of his real first experience with a top notch orchestra

*** Whenever I talk to Geraldo he always remembers this nite.my left elbow jabs, & what it felt like to play those solo 'shots' and always remind him that I never had a doubt .Cool

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 231
Points 3,280
PFeenstra replied on Thu, Apr 21 2011 3:47 PM

Yep, been playing 

Guitar: 17 years

Bass: 10 years

Piano: 8 years

Oh lots of Harmonica too, I've got too many of them lol been in  a bunch of bands but nothing lately, mostly just do open mic and a few solo gigs around town for fun, don't really have the time for anything more serious. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Sat, Apr 23 2011 8:32 AM

@PFeenstra really glad that you shared hope that you'll pop some trks in the chillin video & share what floats your boat http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/t/53797.aspx

***note the only reason I shared those stories about those pics was simply because at the time whenever I played anything in any venue it had to be played as if my livelihood depended on it ... because actually it didSmile

a little quiz :

What single musical instrument has the most acoustical power?

[if ya use google.. your cheating !]

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Sat, Apr 23 2011 1:38 PM

For all my T-Bone playing pals

the trombone has such dynamic range and is quite capable of sheer emotion as well

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 231
Points 3,280
PFeenstra replied on Sat, Apr 23 2011 7:19 PM

@rrplay sure did, got some rare Hendrix on my youtube, also have it in FLAC. Got a bunch of other great FLAC and SHN live music too. I really miss Oink :\ 

As per your question..What single musical instrument has the most acoustical power. 

Answer: A Blue Whale? lolol

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Sat, Apr 23 2011 7:42 PM

gonna let  Jimi take over for a bit   Cool thanks man!

as for the quiz RE: blue whale ?

Nope

come on man !! ..you actually know this one Wink

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 255
Aggiton replied on Sun, Apr 24 2011 11:27 PM

I play, used to, violin and piano (keyboard)
Well, not very much now due to my addiction to photography (hobby on my spare time)

Not Ranked
Posts 30
Points 405

I'm an average acoustic guitar player.  I've been playing 25 years, but go months at a time without picking it up.  That, plus the fact that I have very little natural talent has kept me from doing too much with it other than occasionally jamming with some friends.  It's been cool to read about the rest of you.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,650
coolice replied on Tue, Apr 26 2011 12:58 AM

Woah Woah Woah.... rrplay! I see you! very cool 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Tue, Apr 26 2011 9:19 AM

coolice:

Woah Woah Woah.... rrplay! I see you! very cool 

really nice to see you  coolice ! Beer & welcome BachMusic

in the pic i was not too much older than you are right now  any-hoooo

as I recall you enjoy a good lil' quicky quiz * this should be very easy for you ! Smile

a little quiz :

What single musical instrument has the most acoustical power?

[if ya use google.. your cheating !]

***Subtle hint in Chillin vid thread added

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 342
Points 4,510
slugbug replied on Wed, Apr 27 2011 2:01 AM

Played Tuba when I was in high school and got to go on a lot of band trips.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Wed, Apr 27 2011 10:26 AM

slugbug:

Played Tuba when I was in high school and got to go on a lot of band trips.

hey slugbug sounds like a blast man ! you guys have a marching band ? we didn't but 'kinda had some 'band-trips' anyways

the Chicago HS I went to had a park across the street and after 5-6 'lunch periods ' there was no-way to have a marching band but rather an excellent Concert and jazz - rock band ...go figure

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Mon, Sep 26 2011 5:13 PM

Aggiton:

I play, used to, violin, and piano

me too !..  well sorta  played the violin when a bit younger

curious in a way if any of the newer members in HH would like to stop by and share a bit of any musical type experiences or just ' fiddle around ' Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

The only musical talent I ever had was the ability to sing Sea shanties in a group with some folks in high school. It was a lot of fun to work on boats and get a good rhythm going.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Mon, Sep 26 2011 10:06 PM

More than ok if you ask me omega !

Just wanted to mention that it;s likely to come across some people that do not actually play an instrument ,or sing but are quite knowledgeable and most passionate of some aspect of music.Whether it's a favorite band, certain genre,audiophiles and others are true music lovers in every sense of the word.

That simply by sharing brings out the best in each of us.and has a lasting impression  ..Whether one plays an instrument,sings,etc..

or simply just digs it..

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 292
Points 3,055
Aoshi replied on Thu, Sep 29 2011 2:45 AM

Currently learning guitar! It's something I have always wanted to do.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Thu, Sep 29 2011 4:21 AM

...pending.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Thu, Sep 29 2011 5:19 AM

eunoia:

..  My guitars are posted somewhere,

yep very nice too !

Podcast Discussion Topics?

http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/p/57283/407655.aspx#407655

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

eunoia:

In case there are any Reason users on the board, Reason 6.0 comes out tomorrow and there's a pretty generous upgrade path for Reason/Record users. 

http://www.propellerheads.se/paywhatyouwant/

I may sacrifice a few coffees and pay $5 or $10.

That is really awesome of a major player to offer up something like this and if history tells anything they may make more money off of this package this way.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,106
Points 11,190
CDeeter replied on Wed, Oct 26 2011 4:54 PM

Well I used to play guitar and played around with keys some, but messed up my hands. So now I compose on my computer with FL Studio.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
ginauf replied on Wed, Oct 26 2011 7:07 PM

if you haven't seen it, PCAudioLabs is doing a promo with hothardware this month - Audio PC Giveaway that includes $600 worth of additional software/content

HotHardware Giving Thanks System Sweepstakes! Contest link - http://hothardware.com/News/HotHardware-Giving-Thanks-System-Sweepstakes/

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Oct 26 2011 11:53 PM

I don't know of anybody that can play a saxaphone here but Google does have guides for teaching you how to play the saxaphone.

If anybody knows how to play a saxaphone, raise your hands...

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 12:23 AM

TaylorKarras:
I don't know of anybody that can play a saxaphone but Google does have guides for teaching you how to play the saxaphone.

If anybody knows how to play a saxaphone, raise your hands...

Good one Taylor  with the google stuff  Yes  everything is on there for musical instruments these days

Can;t play the sax at all ..But came across lot of guys that could really, really play it ..yep ! some guys can get such a sweet sound otta one it 's really like like your hearing there soul ..Cool and actually you are   .. and most have one thing in common ...some ol skool stuff >>

they learned by playing along with music  they liked and never got tired of it .! I dunno maybe something like :

some simple sweet n 'sounding sax lines to get ya going and singing through your horn in no time  !  or some tunes / music you like will be best & Google instruction [All this is priced right esp if you dig it !]

Enjoy ! and Have Fun ! Smile

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 997
Points 14,405
Manduh replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 10:49 AM

I'm not a musician, although I'm teaching myself to play the bass... my bf (Cliff) is the musician in the family. He can play pretty well any instrument you hand him and does all his mixing and recording at home.

I probably shouldn't be sitting up this long due to my recovery but I decided to get some pics posted of my bf's recording studio setup and some other random music related stuffs. Oh and we call the recording studio/computer room the Batcave :D  We have changed it around quite a bit since these photos, moved it into a bigger room because we started accumulating more Batman stuff lol. It's pretty much the same except the desks are on oposite sides of these pics, and we now have a Harmon Kardon Sound system instead of his old beastly amp, and he also has a new Line 6 Pod HD500. I use his red bean pod (in pics) now for playing my bass (it's not in these pics, it's just a plain black Yamaha)

This is the Left view...

Middle View:

Right View:

That ugly desk needs updating BADLY!! Or at least a painting! lol 

This is what the Batcave looked like before I came along:

Here's a pic of my bf when he used to do his recording in a real studio:

Him now:

Every once in a while the guys and their guitars get together for some serious jamming...

This one is at his brother's in Calagary...

So that's his musical side in a nutshell :D (He is also a published comic book colourist, and an avid console gamer LOL)

Various places online where you can hear Cliff's tunes...
iLike - http://www.ilike.com/artist/Cliff+Benoit
Reverb - http://www.reverbnation.com/cliffbenoit
SoundClick - http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=21632
and... http://www.youtube.com/user/Klif

Bear in mind he's not a vocalist but if he can't find a singer for his tunes he likes he will bite the bullet and do it himself.  :)  He has a new and small page on facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/JustaDood

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,106
Points 11,190
CDeeter replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 11:39 AM

Wow very cool pics Manduh! Thanks for sharing.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,106
Points 11,190
CDeeter replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 11:47 AM

Just listened to No Good Byes, very nice song. Very talented guy.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 11:54 AM

CDeeter:

Wow very cool pics Manduh! Thanks for sharing.

oh yes ManduHH very cool pics and thanks for sharing  some of Cliff's  trks as well Yes

take it that you would be the one to run all the PC tech stuff and let Cliff focus on the music...

if you should be playing some bass on some trks it would be great to  'pop' those in hear too ! Cool

Page 1 of 2 (53 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS