Bios settings for overclocking your rig. (A guide for the rest of us)

rated by 0 users
This post has 56 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Sun, Mar 27 2011 11:51 AM

thanks for sharing acarzt

a little updated info regarding a familiar app whether you decide to OC or not

Memtest86 3.5b Release - Works with up to 64Gb of memory (19/Mar/2011)

http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

ISO's include a boot menu that allows selection of version 3.5b and version 3.4.Version 3.5b includes a number of fixes from the 4.0 release that corrects all of the know issues with testing more than 4 GB of memory.

Memtest86 is a standalone program that does not require or use any operating system for execution. The version of Windows or Linux being used is irrelevant for execution. However, you must use Windows or Linux to create a bootable CD, Floppy or USB key. The Windows and Linux packages are identical except for the installation methods. Memtest86 supports 64 bit CPUs.

Memtest86 Version 4.0 beta 3 Release

http://www.memtest86.com/beta40.html

"At last! The 4.0 release of Memtest86 is available. Version 4.0 includes SMP support for concurrent memory testing with all CPUs. Version 4.0 is a major re-write and has been in beta test since 5-Mar-2011 with few reported problems. The official release will be available early April 2011"
Enhancements in v4.0 beta 5-Mar-2011

Support for testing with multiple CPUs. All tests except for #11 (Bit Fade) have been multi-threaded. A maximum of 16 CPUs will be used for testing.
    CPU detection has been completely re-written to use the brand ID string rather than the cumbersome, difficult to maintain and often out of date CPUID family information. All new processors will now be correctly identified without requiring code support.
    All code related to controller identification, PCI and DMI has been removed. This may be a controversial decision and was not made lightly. The following are justifications for the decision:
    1. Controller identification has nothing to do with actual testing of memory, the core purpose of Memtest86.
    2. This code needed to be updated with every new chipset. With the ever growing number of chipsets it is not possible to keep up with the changes. The result is that new chipsets were more often than not reported in-correctly. In the authors opinion incorrect information is worse than no information.
    3. Probing for chipset information carries the risk of making the program crash.
    4. The amount of code involved with controller identification was quite large, making support more difficult.
    Removing this code also had the unfortunate effect of removing reporting of correctable ECC errors. The code to support ECC was hopelessly intertwined the controller identification code. A fresh, streamlined implementation of ECC reporting is planned for a future release.
    A surprising number of conditions existed that potentially cause problems when testing more than 4 GB of memory. Most if not all of these conditions have been identified and corrected.
    A number of cases were corrected where not all of memory was being tested. For most tests the last word of each test block was not tested. In addition an error in the paging code was fixed that omitted from testing the last 256 bytes of each block above 2 GB.
    The information display has been simplified and a number of details that were not relevant to testing were removed.
    Memory speed measurement has been parallelized for more accurate reporting for multi channel memory controllers.
    This is a major re-write of the Memtest86 with a large number of minor bug-fixes and substantial cleanup and re-organization of the code.

** If the improvements gained can alleviate checking mem sticks individually great ! the new version 3.5b does seems to take a bit less time overall.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,295
DScheive replied on Mon, Mar 28 2011 4:45 AM

so where again do i get cpu_Z and gpu_Z? lol even though there is little reason for me to post my minimal laptop power on here im still curious :)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Mon, Mar 28 2011 7:41 AM

DScheive:

so where again do i get cpu_Z and gpu_Z? lol even though there is little reason for me to post my minimal laptop power on here im still curious :)

thanks for sharing DSchieve the info for CPU-Z is a bit earlier in this thread 

CPU-Z http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

TechPowerUp GPU-Z v0.5.2  http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1969/TechPowerUp_GPU-Z_v0.5.2.html
Updated: Mar 21, 2011 .. you can easily use the 0.5.1 version as well

more info about video OC can be found http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/t/54045.aspx

combined with monitoring your temps & checking stability you may find them quite useful for alleviating problems at a later time.

as well as prolonging the life of your laptop >> a basic net book cooler may be just the ticket

take your time if you are not all that  sure about running Prime95 or other stress burn- in utilities  & posting your CPU-Z GPU-Z CoreTemps  screenshots which is useful all around

..it's not about 'minimal desktop or laptop HP" ..

it's more about making the most of what's available to you  maintaining it & what you use.Smile

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Mon, Mar 28 2011 1:19 PM

Memtest86 is a great diagnostic tool and stress test tool.

Be aware tho, that certain AMD chipsets will spit back hundreds of errors at location 00000000x00 (or something like that, all 0's, maybe an x) This is a false positive. You can ignore that error. If it is any other location, you've got a problem.

I like to use download.com for downloading ANYTHING.

They have a great search function and the downloads can be trusted(you're a lot less likely to get a virus from this site) plus they give site and user reviews on software.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Mon, Mar 28 2011 2:19 PM

acarzt:

Memtest86 is a great diagnostic tool and stress test tool.

Be aware tho, that certain AMD chipsets will spit back hundreds of errors at location 00000000x00 (or something like that, all 0's, maybe an x) This is a false positive. You can ignore that error. If it is any other location, you've got a problem.

I like to use download.com for downloading ANYTHING.

They have a great search function and the downloads can be trusted(you're a lot less likely to get a virus from this site) plus they give site and user reviews on software.

hey acarzt thanks for sharing about the AMD's with Memtest I wonder if that still persistes in the neweer releases of Memtest 3.6b or 4.0 do you know?

also as well as using Cnet http://download.cnet.com/windows/  for downloading.

& ** Should add another:

Disclaimer: Always be sure to check that you are receiving absolutely clean malware free downloads Note that you should be in the good  habit of scanning your downloads with a reliable Anitvirus Anti Malware Application

something like that ..in the meantime the postal service just delivered a Antec [Asetek] Kuhler H20 620 and look forward to having a bit of fun with that  been using a rather inexpensive  

SilenX EFZ-80HA2 Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835226029

which works a whole lot better than the Intel stock cooler with a bit of fan modding pretty good for about 17.00  & with an additional fan aka 'push pull' in the Silverstone mini-ax SG07 ..will post some results a bit later when comfortable with the OC  temps and stability.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 168
Points 2,815
4hams replied on Wed, Mar 30 2011 8:48 AM

Nice work Peter and sorry i have not been around... 

i7 920 @ 4.1
ASUS P6X58D Premium
G.SKILL DDR3 2000
PATRIOT INFERNO 100GB OCZ Vertex 60GB 
HD 5850 1GB GDDR5
Seasonic 80 PLUS GOLD X-SERIES 750W
CORSAIR H50 Push/Pull
HP 19" f1905b
Windows 7 PRO 64Bit
CM STORM SNIPER (Black Edition)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Wed, Mar 30 2011 3:14 PM

No clue, I haven't worked in a repair shop in some years, so I don't have my hands on the plethora of computers(many thousands lol) I used to in order to see these types of things occur.

But this was only a problem with the first generation of Athlon 64 and Athlon X2 chips and it seemed to be a problem with ALL of them. I still see these chips floating around here and there too. And really that information applies to any chip if it ever comes up. If you get an all 0's location... it doesn't exist.

I would think Memtest86 has come up with a work around for this... but it could be an issue built into the chips that software can't fix.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Thu, Mar 31 2011 12:15 PM

acarzt:

But this was only a problem with the first generation of Athlon 64 and Athlon X2 chips and it seemed to be a problem with ALL of them. I still see these chips floating around here and there too. And really that information applies to any chip if it ever comes up. If you get an all 0's location... it doesn't exist.

I would think Memtest86 has come up with a work around for this... but it could be an issue built into the chips that software can't fix.

]

glad you posted re: Athlon 64 chips pretty sure my nephew still has a rig he built a while ago with one of these  or may be able to get check on someone that can spin up one the Memtest older and newer releases to see and if that's the case post back  not sure but will check it out.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

My ASUS boards have the same type of automatic overclocking. Granted I only have mine cranked up by 10% and am sure I could get a lot further but don't have the money to risk pushing too hard.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Wed, Apr 20 2011 10:54 AM

going to tidy n tweak this thread a bit with some PSU info that was posted recently elsewhere in this forum which applies to this particular thread.

realneil:

So the best test that I could ascertain with using OCCT was the 'Power Supply' test. It runs Linpack (CPU) and also OCCT GPU test at the same time.

I downloaded it and then ran the power supply test for an hour right away, and it said that I passed the test. No scores were given, but it made graphs to look at.

I guess this is good for a mildly OC'd (3212.2MHz)Phenom II X2-545 Calisto CPU (3000.0 MHz)

**** let's take a look at some of the comments from

http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/t/54304.aspx?PageIndex=23

Dave_HH:

...not all PSUs are created equal.  An 850W PSU from one manufacturer could offer a lot more clean power than another 850W PSU.  I can tell you that the boys at MainGear shake and bake their systems so hard, that you'll likely never stress the system as much as they do.  Also, when we toured the facility, I can tell you the SHIFT systems I saw under burn-in had very quiet PSUs that were barely breaking a sweat.

As well as :

realneil:

. As Dave says, loads of power really doesn't mean a thing unless it's quality power, clean power, and with a high efficiency rating.

A high quality PSU is essential for system stability.

My own experience with SeaSonic is that they are the best, and it's the only brand that I use. Considering the catastrophic damage that a cheap PSU can do to your components when they fail,.........I think of it as 'hedging my bet' when I use them.

A user could easily see the amount of fluctuations with those graphs in OCCT if you were comparing a PSU of generic quality.and one of higher quality like the Seasonics.

Some of the tests,monitoring apps,graphs etc can give you some idea what's going on with the 'shake n' bake ' the Maingear guys are doing.

In the meantime it's pretty easy to maximize your rig's performance, stability,and lifespan

Hence this thread.Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Wed, Apr 20 2011 11:07 AM

DScheive:

Ok you already have the links in a previous post and might as well just post the model number and specs run CPU-z CoreTemps and a standard IntelBurn @ 5 passes or OCCT post the screenie takes less than 5 minutes.who know you may have a laptop cooler and may notice a difference.with your temps.

This certainly is not intended to be power OC  ' bragging rights ' thread  .. just feel free to post who know's ?

you may have a bit of fun along the way and if the stability and temps are 'wacked' you'll be glad you did.Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Wed, Apr 20 2011 11:57 AM

omegadraco:

My ASUS boards have the same type of automatic overclocking. Granted I only have mine cranked up by 10% and am sure I could get a lot further but don't have the money to risk pushing too hard.

hey omegadraco thanks for stopping in   if you feel comfortable using the Asus auto OC great !!Yes

You may have already noticed that some of the early posts in this thread the Bios was manually tweaked. either way on those first few posts with the full system specs, bios info settings,PSU / GPU  chassis etc

along with CPU-Z CoreTemps IntelBurn the screenshots posted indicate a lot of info to share with others.

Takes about 5 minutes to run an IntelBurn 5 pass at Max ful 100% load & a lot less for standard. .Or run a burn in type test like OCCT along with your temps.

just a simple way to check stability, temps and prolong the system.who knows? some better cooling can make a big dif

As mentioned earlier in this thread the GPU OC stuff is in separate thread as requested by 4hams [Joel} that originated this thread

http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/t/54045.aspx

there are some remarks about evaluating your system [cooling PSU etc]> what you expect &  what you are comfortable doing

and besides it's Fun!Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,920
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Apr 20 2011 12:57 PM

Something that I've not said before and some of you may not know already, is that when a video card maker suggests or even requires a PSU of 700 Watts (insert proper figure here) to support their card in your system, they're adding quite a bit of requirement to that figure simply because they already KNOW that all PSU's are not the same. Far too many people are saddled with cheap-ass power supplies that give wazoo specifications on the label, and then fail to meet them properly. Poorly designed PSU's abound in the marketplace. So card-makers are adding capacity to what they recommend, just to 'hedge their bet' a little bit. This ensures that their product works in more PC's without problems. Also, their product's reputation doesn't take the blame for poorly designed PSU's.

Actual measurements taken on many tech-savy sites show that most cards draw less power from the typical system than stated. So if you spend the extra money to buy a high quality PSU and don't fall for the advertising hype that seems to abound in this segment, you can safely and effectively get away with using one with a lower rating, thereby saving yourself a little on your power bill.

***SeaSonic***

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 168
Points 2,815
4hams replied on Thu, Apr 21 2011 10:32 AM

realneil:

Something that I've not said before and some of you may not know already, is that when a video card maker suggests or even requires a PSU of 700 Watts (insert proper figure here) to support their card in your system, they're adding quite a bit of requirement to that figure simply because they already KNOW that all PSU's are not the same. Far too many people are saddled with cheap-ass power supplies that give wazoo specifications on the label, and then fail to meet them properly. Poorly designed PSU's abound in the marketplace. So card-makers are adding capacity to what they recommend, just to 'hedge their bet' a little bit. This ensures that their product works in more PC's without problems. Also, their product's reputation doesn't take the blame for poorly designed PSU's.

Actual measurements taken on many tech-savy sites show that most cards draw less power from the typical system than stated. So if you spend the extra money to buy a high quality PSU and don't fall for the advertising hype that seems to abound in this segment, you can safely and effectively get away with using one with a lower rating, thereby saving yourself a little on your power bill.

***SeaSonic***

Hey realneil, you make a great point about not skimping on the PSU!  The amount of wattage is not as important as the fact that it is gold certified and produces Clean Current for your components!  I would choose a gold certified PSU at 750 watts before ever looking at a 1200 watt no name PSU! 

I think we use the same Seasonic 750 Watt 80 PLUS GOLD PSU?  Fantastic unit as far as I am concerned!  It replaced a Enermax MODU 82 PLUS Bronze certified PSU that was causing intermitent voltage spikes on my Sata power lines killing 5 barracudas and 2 OCZ vertex drives on me within a 2 year period... 

i7 920 @ 4.1
ASUS P6X58D Premium
G.SKILL DDR3 2000
PATRIOT INFERNO 100GB OCZ Vertex 60GB 
HD 5850 1GB GDDR5
Seasonic 80 PLUS GOLD X-SERIES 750W
CORSAIR H50 Push/Pull
HP 19" f1905b
Windows 7 PRO 64Bit
CM STORM SNIPER (Black Edition)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 3,015
dadodgeson replied on Thu, Apr 21 2011 11:48 AM

i like the thread. i realize that the 960 is limited on OC but if any members have or have had any experience with other types of CPU's it would be nice to see maby Dave could put up some.

i don't have a great understanding of overclocking so mine are stock if there is a thread to help explain some of the features of OC  please let me know

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Thu, Apr 21 2011 12:40 PM

dadodgeson:

i like the thread. i realize that the 960 is limited on OC but if any members have or have had any experience with other types of CPU's it would be nice to see maby Dave could put up some.

i don't have a great understanding of overclocking so mine are stock if there is a thread to help explain some of the features of OC  please let me know

here you go Dave already did and it's very well done as usual. & likely has a bit fun and encourages us to the same

http://hothardware.com/Articles/Intel-Core-i7-Overclocking--A-HotHardware-HowTo/

a simple basic how to can also be found here and HH member  4hams that started this great thread runs this site

http://mcstylists-overclock.forumotion.com/t12-excellent-intel-i7-oveclocing-guide

and of cousre this one and you may notice why the some of the posts in this thread include CPUZ CoreTemps and IntelBurn Max @5 passed in screenshots you may just spot a member with the same or similar cpu mobo combo you have and use a 'template' to get started as well

http://forums.pureoverclock.com/showthread.php?threadid=5736

just take a bit of time and make one change at a time that you understand and keep track of use the apps to monitor your changes and temps give your self the opportunity for relaxed and unstressed OC sessions and have a plan to to revert to stock if necessary.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Thu, Apr 21 2011 9:29 PM

Here is a little update with the Asetek 620 cooler with a modest OC on the i870 just & simple stable for day to day use very quiet and cool

Intel i7 870 Gigabyte H55N-USB3 mini atx Kingston memory hyperX 4GB 1600 Siverstone SST SG07 top intake 180mm 700/1200rpm 600W Silverstone 80+ PSU Antec 620 Hydro ATi HD 5770 [juniper]

CPU Ratio: 24
Turbo Mode:Enabled
BCLK Frequency: 158
DRAM Frequency: 1580MHz
CPU Voltage: 1.256
DRAM Voltage: 1.58
***Load Line Calibration: Disabled [Auto] to follow Intel Spec rather than GB
QPI/Vtt 1.9V
Mem 9-9-9-24-1T

IntelBurnIn Max 8 thread pass takes about 5 minutes.

Pretty satisfied with it for most daily stuff. and likely to  a bit more the new Asetek cooler just going to leave here for a while.and take it up a bit higher with tighter timings mem clks another time.

enough to get an idea of what you be may be looking at should you do this and helps all of us if you post the sceenie.and settings.

Page 2 of 2 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS