Corsair SP2500 Review would be Awesome!

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,635
coolice Posted: Thu, Feb 17 2011 7:34 PM
Sorry, i'm an Audio guy. I like good sound So i was going to suggest some PC speakers. A lot of websites are either too detailed in their reviews or are too vague... dont necessarily know what they are talking about, or are not audio enthusiasts. And the extreme audio enthusiasts who review speakers, especially computer speakers get too detailed because they compare these sub ~$100 - 300 Computer products to >$1000 home theatre systems.... I have a Logitech z5500 that my brother and i invested in a few years ago.... Reviews said they were amazing, good bass etc.... hardcore reviewers (audiophiles) said Nah, they're good but, 600$ can get you much more. After getting it and listening to it, i can tell you.. its good, but not $600 good, but not as bad the audiophiles... so i would like to listen to unbias reviews: the product i have in mind: Corsair SP2500. A review from someone whose not a bass junky or doest compare them to, lets say the B&W Nautilus. PS sorry for the loong description. Also, i understand that sound is different to each person.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Fri, Feb 18 2011 5:41 AM

Not sure if you saw this but maybe these links can help.

Marco  C mentioned them in the HH O6 Webcast Jan 12,2011  @ 5:50

A bit more can found here printarticle.aspx?articleid=1614

I would be interested in finding out a bit more of these as well and trust the remarks already made by Marco and look forward in hearing more from him about the Corsair SP2500's.

I'll take a quality 2.1 setup over a mediocre 5.1 any day .

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,635
coolice replied on Sat, Feb 19 2011 4:45 PM
Yep, seen that vidcast... thats how i learnt about them... i didnt know corsair was making speakers until i say it... hence, i'm even more so interested in getting a review.. its kind of hard to explain what i want exactly, But think of it as a jury system... you want someone whose not a fanatic or someone who doesnt really care about it... but someone neutral.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Sat, Feb 19 2011 6:50 PM

coolice:
Yep, seen that vidcast... thats how i learnt about them... i didnt know corsair was making speakers until i say it... hence, i'm even more so interested in getting a review.. its kind of hard to explain what i want exactly, But think of it as a jury system... you want someone whose not a fanatic or someone who doesnt really care about it... but someone neutral.

I did not know corsair made those either since I saw that vid and did not know if that is what you saw as well ..i can understand why it may be a bit difficult to describe what it is your looking until you hear it .[see my bio for more]  I would like to hear those in person as well on more than one occasion should I consider and afford replacing what I have..

I have Planar Monsoon PM 9 's  LEVEL 9 SOUND DESIGNS PLANAR MEDIA 9 LCD FLAT PANEL Computer Speakerswhich are 2.1 transducers similar tech as to what you would  find in Martin Logans they were about 110.00 in '03 very neutral crisp clear transients in mid-range, good bass with out -the 'hump' aka false bass boost of many.  tooo bad they are no longer made   over time the puck got a bit funky but ok to resolve.

I know I was willing to take my time with those and bring my sample to check out certainly was not the most popular music but any speakers could not hide with my sample clips pretty the same goes for you .

interesting thread coolice Cool if ya feel like it ...post a few of your fav 'Chilling 'Cranking and 'Cruising tracks ..

whatever floats your boat that you wanna share Smile

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,635
coolice replied on Sun, Feb 20 2011 2:56 AM

Ah, yea, electrostatic speakers... very interesting how they work. of course, i cant afford martin logans... right now i'm running a pair of Sinclair Audios sb3600t (the engineers behind it are former psb and paradigm guys or so i've heard)... excellent set of towers.... powered by a couple of yamaha receiver, bi-amped of course, with custom seas midrange drivers... i like a nice smooth midrange over anyhting else. and your right, i have boomy muddy bass. I'm thinking of selling my z-5500's to invest in something else... i'm tired of the lack of bass or surplus of bass. I'm just considering buying an amp, a low end denon or something, and make myself a pair of bookshelfs, perhaps buy one of from parts express.

As for music... my taste in music is very complex. I have no particular taste.... i go through swings that can last years.... from grade 8-10 (14-16 years old) i was heavily into rock (ratm, epica)... before i should start mentioning bands... the way i listen to music is also very different... i dont bother with whose singing what song... i used to, and still record various online radio stations and dump em in my mp3 player, then forget it... when listening, i dont bother checking what songs playing... hence, although i listen to A LOT of music, i dont keep up with song titles or artists (its REALLY bad when you want to crank a particular tune and cant find it).

Anywho, grade 8-10, rock

grades 10-11, i had a phase of house, not techno, but like fusions... calming beats, deep house type things.

grades 11-12, complete overhaul, i started listening to a mix of Classical (modern classical and classical classical), country music (i admit, i really like some good ol' country tracks), Bluegrass... till this day, i can tell you, bluegrass is some of the most amazing music i've ever heard), Jazz

Uni years 1-2, I started listening to Indian, Chinese, Japanese classical music as well as their respective fusions.

Right now I’m going through an indie phase… listening to groups unheard of, all genere’s, nothing in particular.

Some bands I’m listening to an enjoying: florence and the machine, fitz and the tantrums, various jazz pieces. Like I said, I’m really sorry, I don’t keep up with names of songs or artists… I just hit play… the songs good, i listen to it, really good, I hit replay, bad… I forward. My mp3 player can hold ~300 songs (4gb’s), and every couple of months, regardless of whether I like a few songs I’m forced to delete all and dump in new stuff… simply because I don’t know what I like or not.. and I don’t have the time to click 600 times to isolate the ones I like.

People ask me, what I mean when I say Japanese classical fusion… youtube this: “Kenji Kawai” and get ready to be blown away.

PS sorry for the long read... but when it comes to music.... i can go on forever!... i kid you not, i started writing this on office word.... just so that i could crudely edit out some things.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Sun, Feb 20 2011 9:58 AM

I sure do like to read a well thought out response such as yours coolice ! thanks for sharing.

I would not sell that z-5500's  just use the controller and possibly the bass module 'cause the clarity is in the mids is where it's at. with some better drivers in custom little cab  that you make  You may be able to damp the Q in the bass module slightly if you can get inside the cabinet and flatten the hump a bit hey you got 'da hears.

while I am thinking about it and you mentioned Parts Express check out Madisound for better quality upper high end ends and similar yet affordable.

I do not know if you read any of my bio.. but when anyone mentions 'electrostatic' I shiver ..I was in a recording session quite some time ago and had electro stat 'cans' on ..between the engineer & the 'producer in the control room one those 'chcukle heads' pooched a patch or gate to my cans !   yeooow baby !  electro stat cans DO NOT FLINCH &  I was instantly reminded of having vertebrae in my spine ! ! & that was in the '80's

Anyhooo back at the ranch about possibly building some great aforadble speaks. If possible might as well look at the higher end ,pick up some cabintet naking skills cause the enclosure is crtical.you want a solid 'click'on the cab sides etc.No real need to get the fancy panels either plenty of suitable damping materials in home improvement stores on the cheap
Look at the big advantage you have    by having the 'ears' to tune your system they way you want. and it's very likely that your listening room does not have a 2 foot concrete slab .

Ok so now I ramble as well .. maybe share a bunch of  some of your favorite Artists & traks in the "Chiilin 'crankin & 'cruisin thread or start your own.

Thanks

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,635
coolice replied on Sun, Feb 20 2011 12:34 PM

Ah, I'll post youtube links time to time, its a thread i intend to follow for quite some time. I've been researching a lot into building a set of towers for myself... i got Erikson Audio/ JAL Industries here in montreal (after a lot of bickering, a lot of phone calls and begging) to donate me some speakers..... after almost 3 months, they caved in and gave me $1500 worth of mixed drivers worth around $800 - $1000 bucks.... not bad at all.

<p>I'm going to be aiming for an eliptical design, just because, well, i'm making speakers, might as well take the time and make something unique. its a project i think will take me about 6 months to create if i start this march. I'm looking for a cheap cnc-machine rental to cut some oval splits (ovals cut in half). If people are interested here, i'll start posting build pics. I intend to do that on audioholics.com and diyaudio.com as well. </p>

<p>I'm also definitely going to sell the z-5500's... reason being, even if i keep the subwoofer and use custom drivers... the the cutoff point is too low in terms of frequency. i can use some nice 6.5inch midbass drives from pearless + some seas 3/4th inch dome tweeters (i cant remember the specifics of the the drivers, but they're a good match)... it wouldnt matter as those drivers will get cut off at like 2000hz or w/e the value is. The rest is outputted through the sub... hence, it gets very boomy and muddy even at low volumes.</p>

<p>i reckon i can score $200 - $250 for the z5500.... get myself a used receiver, and go from there. Its just a thought.</p> 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Sun, Feb 20 2011 2:24 PM

WoW that's just great to get all those drivers and you got plans to build something special ..looking at high-endd plans and design

what 's great is that you got he ears' no substitute for that ! That Gypsy Kings trk you shared Cool  is very good candidate for anyone evaluating speaks as well

it has all the good elements one needs to audition. you can easily listen to it many times & get to know it

great performance and recording ! ,the transients,stage imaging etc would are easily apparent in the mids  evaluating the 'air' in the upper highs.and plenty of real bass. the reason I mention this too [excuse me it's been quite some time since I was a bit more actively involved with any of this] is you def may want to consider  isolated 'chambers' in the enclosures .

another thought came to mind regarding Xover points . since Marco was the 1st person around here [in the short time I,ve been here ]that mention a 4rth order butterworh filters in the CES high lite around here in that webcast  he may agree that it's somewhat of a compromise selecting on board freqs with the drivers enclosure volume &chamber size.. So maybe we will see a hands on review after all .

but then again you will likely so something really special and some of us will look forward to it. ..like me

Thanks

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,635
coolice replied on Sun, Feb 20 2011 3:24 PM

its definitely going to be isolated chambers... 3 sections... the xover, i had a friend help me build and design.

Tweeter 22khz - 4khz

Midrange from about 5khz - 400hz

Woofers; 500hz - 30hz (the low end depends on the box...according to me and my friends calculations, it should be able to go to around 30hz, realistically, 40ish. my rooms makes a big difference. 

Its going to be a 3 way design, 1 tweeter, sealed, silk dome from Seas, i dont have the exact models... apparently i got some of the quality testing units with the model number stickers peeled off. 1 X 6.5inch midrange, I though it was kevlar (I was SOOO HAPPY), then i found out its woven fibreglass... good enough!! with rubber surrounds... and 2 X 6.5 inch bass drivers, also 6.5inch drivers, slightly larger surface area, and larger coils than the midrange driver. (4 drivers / speaker). 

I'm actually a business student, i dont have the math skills or the knowledge to make and design the crossovers, so i used my business skills, and some beer to convince and engineering student to make one for me.... we ran dry tests, i made a basic box a few weeks ago... These babies are Warm... a little bassy, but beautiful wamn midrange production... Right now i'm toying around with whether i should go for a sealed box or ported. I want a Tight accurate bass, hence i'm leaning towards sealed..but i'm worried that 2 woofers are going to shake a little too much air....anywho, i'm waiting for Storm from xmen to warm up toronto a bit before i start assembling....i learnt it the hardway, never make anything during the winter in the garage... wood expands and contracts too much

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Mon, Feb 21 2011 11:29 AM

a couple of thoughts ..if your deciding on enclosure type sealed or vent maybe let the drivers that you received decide cause usually some work better in vent or sealed .either way does not hurt to focus a bit in the reading room with some of your fav catalogs and assorted info anticipating those 'eureka' moments Smile

pretty  familiar with some of those myself.Big Smile

years a go when I worked  as an audio tech making tape several us always had stopwatches and of course calculaors where a must cuse at lunhtime esp during the Chicago bears super bowl season we sometimes sat around 'chillin with ques like what's longer the tape in a C-60 or Soldier Field ? some would ask t are you including the end zone? other s would ask are we loading the usual C-62 with extra 2 minutes ?
 any how you get the idea that the math and specs for you to get a grasp of  is so important with your current endeavor to communicate  with your friend. so you'l later be able to select and config your selection and why .

would not hurt to get the pdf catalog From madisound as well

http://www.madisound.com/

A whole neew ballgame to maybe look into is Legacy Audio

http://www.legacyaudio.com/    mmmmmm???

maybe you can still get a cataloge for 'da readin room ?? I dunno  a whole new way of lookng at loading the bass ?  possible combination of eureka nirvana ?

Meanwhile look at the xover in parts express this to way whren your chillin with your pal might as well look in MTM design, center channel, quality 2 way so you can get a lot off fthis under your belt and dont forget to acknowledege your friend and share a cold one for me

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,635
coolice replied on Mon, Feb 21 2011 5:40 PM

haha, the first time i read your reply... i was thinking Oh boy, rrplay has had a bit too much to drink. Then later on, while i was about to pop in a cd, i was like c-60 LOL He meant a Cassette hahah... came back running up to the computer to reply.

So what was longer then? hahah

Also, thanks for the links, I used the calculator on madisound to try a jist of my calculations. the problem i have is, Since the none of the drivers have any cabinet specifications or their frequency limits... i'm going to be taking a gamble. 

I bugged the guys in montreal to give me any, any info at all... they said ported design... the more chambers (think slot loaded design) the tighter the bass... approximate dimensions (in inches) being: 30 inches call, 8 inches wide, and a depth of 17 inches, and a volume of (30x8x17) = 4 080 inches cubed... Big i know... but with internal braces and all mdf being 1inch thick... probably around 3000 inches cubed, which is about 73 litres. 

I'm thinking of a slot design as well, but going with an elliptical design, slot will be hard... 

Thats the sort of design i'm aiming for the cabinets... same color as well... which i think will look cool. I love rosewood/ deep dark rich reds. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Mon, Feb 21 2011 6:31 PM

See the cassette ananlogy was amusing and useful after all & share the math he-he FYI cassette tape speeds [normal -speed]  @  1 7/8 per second = 1.875 inches per second Soldier Field ? end zone ?

at the time we also made &  produced da Super Bowl Shuffle and Iron Mike audio and the vids were duped elasewhere.

sweet looking plans you got and you are well on your way ! maybe look at some other builds for future ref for others along the way since you already have access to lots of design info .Yep a great 2.1 or system like this is great and as Marco mentioned this is very true about some folks not having the live ability for proper placement .and yet never really heard a great stereo playback in their own home  ...no doubt that you have this stuff  down ..

if you thought I may have been drinkin   I dunno hard to tell   somtimZ  rUN current  liquorix kernels in Sid maybe that has something to do with it

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 290
Papapak replied on Mon, Feb 28 2011 10:25 PM

one thing though, about speaker reviews is that, the audience cant really hear the sound quality... it would be better if we c an see it live but thats impossible, i would rather have more OTHER hardware reviews, like phones or tablets

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,635
coolice replied on Mon, Feb 28 2011 10:57 PM
Your absolutely correct, which is why, if you read the first couple of posts, i tried to mention that i'd like a generic review from someone whose not an audiophile or a bass junky. Sound is different to each ear, and thus reviewing speakers is pretty hard. Most of the reviews for speakers are always a little biased simply because either you have a person whose comparing these sub $~250 speakers to a $4000 home theatre system complaining about no mids bass etc. Or you have the people who write stuff like, "it goes soo lound its unbelievable and the bass thumps". I'd like to read a review from someone who gets audio, but isnt an audiophile, appreciates bass, but is not a bass junky. Its a little hard to explain

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Wed, Mar 2 2011 10:39 AM

Maybe a Hypothetical Review by someone that's Neither an audiophile or Reviewer

"In these speakes used are 2.1 in configuration and using mobo aduio at defaults.
I grab my Back Toccata and Fugue as a test reference note this version was specially edited to include numerous sound effect for the Halloween season,, such  as rolling thunder, lightning bolts, torture rack spooky stuff sound effects for the Halloween Season  hey  kids love it and it';s pretty good at evaluating  speakers as well..Since I created it has a lot of useful audio elements to audition any speakers performance..who can recall  the  music in the fugue anyway.!

As usual I fired up my reference PM 9 because they were used to create the original track.gave it a good listen too because it always cool to hear it.

speakers up next were Brand AAA  nice loks play mainstream stuff pretty movie ok decent I guess for most and seem popular .
Now lets give them a listen  shortly after the grand organs infamous opening sequence we get one the first major lightening bolts * thunderclaps  rips OK pretty good not quite as electric as my ref but pretty good and held there own the highs were not just as crisp but ok  now on to the sequence whore the gravedigger is diggin yeah you can hear the shovel and gravel and a cat on the sound stage the imaging is pretty good for presence but mot as definite and hey what with that low thunder rumble getting  a bit too boomy for me maybe to much hump   now coming up there is a wolf howl and scream  .NNOOOOOO! the little mids cracked on the wolf howl  lowered the volume a bit & checked again same thing ..

so as far as some acoustic instruments and vocals Brand AA are no good for me

onto Speaker test Brand B  before evaluation these I hooked my reference system and set the playback to previous original setting and tweak my ears again 

Brand A did not make it to the end of the track they could have survived but I really did not need to experience that

OK ears tweaked with ref speaker system  ref settings back

Brand B ..ooohhh hey now    we got a bit more air moving    hey i like these and wow that lightening bolt did not flinch a bit smooth not as crisp but good and low organ oedal notes as well thunder rumble is flat so all is good here ..OK out to the graveyard again and hey the gate needs more oil ,cool  the imaging and location on the audio stage is really good and precise the wolf howl got the back of neck up and I can definitely telly these guys are moving quite a bit more air ..tight and cleanly the torture chamber door slams rack and sequences leading to the finally were an awesome ride and they did not flinch in the grand finale even when the bells toll in the end  

and we are left with that thunder storm rolling & rumbling away.

these are really good and I would buy them if I could afford them or maybe hop back in this thread and see if can learn and possible build my own

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 4:58 PM

coolice:

Uploaded by on Mar 14, 2011

Review highlights for the new SP2500 speakers from Corsair.

might as well check it out from Corsair and possibly the other uTube links as well

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
Hollwer replied on Thu, Apr 7 2011 9:59 PM

thanks for good posting

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,200
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Apr 7 2011 10:29 PM

I just use 2 sets of JBL Creature-II's and an old Microsoft Sound System for the three PC's in the game room. They all sound good to me for 2.1 sound systems, and they'll all shake the house when cranked too. But I admit that I'm going deaf from all of those Aircraft on the flight line for all of those years. (some were so loud that hearing protection just didn't work) I now have to have hearing aids in to hear normal conversation.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Wed, Apr 13 2011 11:12 AM

Hollwer:

thanks for good posting

OK here we have some more info and comments yeah !!

http://hothardware.com/News/Corsair-SP2500-21-Speaker-System-and-HS1A-Headset/

looks like my short - list for possible replacement or supplement candidate got a bit shorter.with this info.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Thu, Apr 28 2011 9:27 AM

well look like we got all the necessary info needed to nail the decision process regarding the Corsair speakers recommend in the segment with this vid cast 

the explanation as to the bandpass bass enclosure fixed crossover point evaluation from Marco is good enough for me

thanks

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 265

Wow... Those are amazing... I have an older system which consists of all Definitive Technology speakers including one C/L:/R 1000 and 4 BP 1's as well as a Definitive Technology PF12 Sub... I take really good care of it and it serves me just fine...

My stereo is a Yamaha 2090 model... (it's old... But I paid 1000 bucks back in the day for it)

I really love the woodwork on those you show in your post.

Thanks.

p.

Page 1 of 1 (21 items) | RSS