HP Unveils 9.7-inch TouchPad Tablet with 1.2GHz Dual-core Processor

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,690
Points 1,156,390
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Feb 9 2011 3:01 PM
Look out Apple, slide aside Samsung, and move over Motorola because the gauntlet has been thrown, and boy has it ever. Making the most out of a press event in San Francisco, Hewlett-Packard formally (and finally) rolled out its long awaited webOS tablet, the HP TouchPad. HP's challenger enters the ring measuring 13.7 millimeters thick and weighing 1.6 pounds with a capacitive screen span extending 9.7 inches. It looks strikingly similar to the iPad, but the hardware is a different story.

Motoring the HP TouchPad is a dual-core 1.2GHz Snapdragon processor, which we think is worth repeating. Ready? Here we go: Motoring the HP TouchPad is a dual-core 1.2GHz Snapdragon processor. That alone should give the TouchPad enough muscle to wrestle other tablets on the market, though it will be interesting to see how the iPad 2 stacks up. Other notable features include:
  • 16GB or 32GB of storage space
  • Gyroscope
  • Accelerometer
  • Compass
  • Front-facing 1.3MP webcam with support for videoconferencing
  • 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi
  • Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
  • Beats Audio
From the pictures and promotional video, the webOS UI looks dazzling, if not somewhat similar to the iPad. Even the virtual keyboard had us doing a double-take to make sure we were looking at the TouchPad and not Apple's magical slate. Threaded email, wireless printing, the ability to sync information over to other webOS devices like the Pre 3, and wireless charging are all promising features that bode well for the TouchPad.

No word on price or a release date, but be sure to stay tuned -- we'll be posting updates as more info becomes available.
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Wed, Feb 9 2011 3:19 PM

I know I've been quite the webOS naysayer, but this does look pretty darned cool. I'd be interested to hear if the tablet locked down to webOS, or if it will allow you to install additional flavors of Linux too.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625

Does this have SD or USB support? Or will it be limited on a LAN to network-only downloads/transfers...

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,620
coolice replied on Wed, Feb 9 2011 7:17 PM

Well.... 20 years from now, we'll be looking back at this tablet craze and we'll realize... boy, what were we thinking.

When you compare this to the xoom,.. i cant say. I'm hoping its not as expensive as that device.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,558
Points 103,045
MembershipAdministrator

It looks good but will probably be out of reach for us old retired folks.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,763
Points 40,465

sure does look neat, I would go with this tablet if i had to get one just so i don't fall for apple :D

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,814
Points 45,635
rapid1 replied on Wed, Feb 9 2011 11:34 PM

Yeah this one looks very nice, but I think it is really just the start. Of course we have the Motorola Xoom, and from what I am hearing the iPad 2 will raise it's head in the next month. I have also heard the iPad 3 will becoming by fall of this year as well. Yeah I think things on the slate market are going to be real interesting especially with dual core processor's poppin up all over the place as well.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,901
Points 24,515
digitaldd replied on Wed, Jun 1 2011 11:51 AM

Wow some folks got a hands on at Computex from a SanDisk rep.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 55

Doesn't someone feel stupid writing this?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS