Google Experimenting with Display Ads in Gmail

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,393
Points 1,192,580
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jan 28 2011 12:11 PM
Don't go hitting the panic button if you suddenly notice ads in your Gmail account, you're not the victim of a virus or any other malware looking to wreak havoc on your system. So what's going on? Apparently Google got the bright (and potentially lucrative) idea of testing out display ads in Gmail user accounts.

"We're always trying out new ad formats and placements in Gmail, and we recently started experimenting with image ads on messages with heavy image content," a Google spokesperson confirmed to Mashable via email.

Image Credit: Search Engline Land (Greg Sterling)

According to Mashable, Google began running the ads on Friday, January 21, and as far as we know, they're still being served up. Not surprisingly, it appears Google is tapping into email keyboards to deliver related image ads depending on the contents of the email. In speaking with Google's Rob Shilkin, The New York Times says an email about a vacation to Mexico, for example, might prompt image ads for flights or hotels.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,694
Points 104,405
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Jan 28 2011 8:35 PM

This Sucks,......Whoops! I mean,......It draws huge amounts of Vacuum.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Sat, Jan 29 2011 1:56 PM

Experimenting my ass, this is just their cover up to get more money out of us members. It will surly stay forever!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,694
Points 104,405
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Jan 29 2011 2:59 PM

BTW: the dude in that picture looks just like my youngest son, Casey.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,635
coolice replied on Sat, Jan 29 2011 4:55 PM

I get enough spam in my junk mail selling me viagara, drugs, women from ukraine (mail-order brides).

Google... seriously? what more can you sell me. I really would hate this.

Realneil... doppelganger?

and Inspector right on this one

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Sat, Jan 29 2011 6:13 PM

Real, you sure that isn't your son? maybe hes modeling now ;)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,694
Points 104,405
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Jan 29 2011 6:33 PM

Inspector:
Real, you sure that isn't your son? maybe hes modeling now ;)

Just looks a lot like him. Not him though. He's 6', 4" tall and attracts a lot of female attention.

When he was 16, a woman propositioned him right in front of me while we were shopping for new shoes for him.

He got embarrassed when I chewed her ass out at high volume in front of everyone in the store.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 654
Points 5,945
mhenriday replied on Mon, Jan 31 2011 1:26 PM

Not to worry ! This may be a very bad move by Google (which I hope they soon realise), but to rescue us users from these unwanted attentions, there's always Adblock Plus !...

Henri

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 150
Sccoaire replied on Mon, Jan 31 2011 2:03 PM

I personally have no issues with this. Google continues to offer great messaging service for free, on reliable servers, easily accessible. I'd rather have this then have automatic embedded signatures in my outgoing e-mails.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 654
Points 5,945
mhenriday replied on Mon, Jan 31 2011 2:30 PM

Agreed on the great messaging service ! But to my mind, it would be a major mistake on the part of Google to make it less great by including these ads, which are far more annoying than the comparatively discrete and well behaved ads most Gmail users are accustomed to seeing. Attempting to squeeze the last gram of advertising revenue out of a service is not always the smartest move over the long term....

Henri

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS