Overheating??

This post has 16 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 3,050
krikle Posted: Wed, Jan 26 2011 8:50 PM

Hello again. Sometimes I feel like a loser when I come here looking for support lol but... I guess the best of us need help sometimes.

I have a sony vaio that is acting very strange. The owner said it randomly shuts down, that his wireless is not working, and that it seems like when you touch the right side of the touchpad....or move the laptop around a bit, more specifically the right side.. it shuts off and random restarrts and what not.

It is indeed randomly shutting down. And restarting...and sometimes the screen will go black as if the screen reset... only it does it sometimes instantly when the computer is on, the power led is on indicating the computer is powered on...but the black screen can't be gotten out of..only by doing a cold reboot.

The first thing I noticed was it was getting veryyyy hot. I dissasembled the notebook, took out the fan and heatsink/power supply (it was all one peice). The fan and vent was blocked with dust which I cleaned. I then removed the old thermal compound from the cpu and applied new, better stuff (its arctic mx-2, and has never failed me yet). I put it all back together, turned it on...no change. And still running very hot. To me this is hardware problems, not viruses or anything. With regard to the right side of the laptop...the only thing thats actually on the right side is the dvd-rom (which I had removed anyway) , the usb port/audio circuit board, and the power inverter near the top right. The whole motherboard itself is to the left, it isn't that big. He mentioned something underneath may be lose....but... it doesn't appear to be. I really think all the shutdown problems are from overheating. After the computer shut down, I popped the panel off again.... I noticed that even after re-applying thermal compound, the psu/heatsink was still very hot. There is a rectangular shaped metal peice and underneath that there is 2 chips...1 is the ATI graphics chip not sure what the other is. Underneath the metal plate, there is 2 thermal 'pads'? (not sure what they're called) . These seem to be getting very hot as well. 

What if I removed these putty/thermal 'pads' and put new thermal compound there instead, on those 2 chips? Or put some on top of the chips anyway? As I saidm I think this is due to overheating. I did manage to get into the bios and change everything to default settings just in case. But no change. Also, there is nothing in this bios with regard to temp monitoring. Please help :)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

I guessing since its an ATI gfx card its an AMD processor as well? Do you know what series of notebook it is other than just a viao? I am guessing heavily its heat as well that is causing the problem. The second thing under the unknown thing under the heat sink it the NB. The thermal pads can be replaced if you want but I would be careful with that as the tolerance with the thermal grease will be much less. 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

Der Meister:
The second thing under the unknown thing under the heat sink it the NB. The thermal pads can be replaced if you want but I would be careful with that as the tolerance with the thermal grease will be much less. 

I personally say "Never replace a thermal pad with thermal grease."  It's a pad for a reason and that reson reson usually deals with the fact that the heatsink does not get close enough to that chip for it to successfully use the thin layer of grease.  You can buy new thermal pads on the internet, which may help out if you wnat to replace all the grease and pads with new. I can't remember if PerfomancePC's sells them as a large sheet.

Have you tried unplugging all of the wire connectors on the motherboard and then reconnecting?  As Der said though, this is probably a heat issue.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 3,050
krikle replied on Thu, Jan 27 2011 9:35 AM

Well is there anything I can do??

I have already re applied thermal paste to the CPU. And I did reconnect all cables tothe motherboard. No change.

No, it is not an AMD cpu. It's intel core 2 due i think ( I'm not in front of it at the moment).

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,576
Points 103,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Jan 27 2011 11:10 AM

krikle:
Well is there anything I can do?

Maybe not. We all know that sustained levels of excessive heat can damage a CPU and other electronics. Maybe the situation with the blocked and dirty CPU Heatsink Fins on this laptop went on for too long, and now it's been damaged. I know you want to make your money on this Lappy by fixing it right up, but every now and then it just doesn't work out.

I can't think of anything else for you to try either.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 3,050
krikle replied on Thu, Jan 27 2011 12:03 PM

Hi,

I'm well aware that sometimes they're beyonf repair lol.

In other cases I've had of overheating, re-applying thermal compound has done the trick so I'm a bit disappointed it doesn't seem to be wroking now. I think what I will do is try it again. Remove the stuff with some alcohol...re-apply it again because I think a put a little too much. I also have a different kind of thermal paste so I'll try that one.

One of the thermal pds I mentioned in my original post..there is a bit of a gap/tear in it. If  new thermal pads were applied to the gfx chip and the other chip that is under the heatsink plate...would this do any good?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

krikle:
One of the thermal pds I mentioned in my original post..there is a bit of a gap/tear in it. If  new thermal pads were applied to the gfx chip and the other chip that is under the heatsink plate...would this do any good?

Maybe?  But I doubt it.  This is one of the reasons why I can't see laptops as taking over the entire pc market.  The parts are so close together that there is no room to breathe.  Everything must work exactly as it is designed and that's more demanding in a cramped environment.  More info on the laptop would be greatly appreciated, make and model.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,576
Points 103,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Jan 27 2011 1:39 PM

krikle:
One of the thermal pds I mentioned in my original post..there is a bit of a gap/tear in it.

Fill that gap with thermal paste and forget it. That's not the problem.

mentaldisorder:
I can't see laptops as taking over the entire pc market.  The parts are so close together that there is no room to breathe.  Everything must work exactly as it is designed and that's more demanding in a cramped environment.

And then add, that over time, they begin to fill up with dust and hair and whatever, thereby screwing up their cooling even further, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 3,050
krikle replied on Thu, Jan 27 2011 6:12 PM

The model is Sony Vaio VGN-NW130D

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 3,050
krikle replied on Thu, Jan 27 2011 6:33 PM

Also, if someone could find me a service guide online for this manual it woul dbe greatly appreciated. I've serviced my fair share of laptops and I can take most apart now with my eyes closed..but this one is a bit different. Specifically, taking the keyboard out and getting underneath that.

So if anyway could give me a link to it it'd be great. I've tried searching online and haven't found anything YET. Thanks.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator

krikle:
Also, if someone could find me a service guide online for this manual it woul dbe greatly appreciated.

Hi krikle. The manual is HERE, but it is in French as that laptop is specific to Canada! Parlez-vous francais?Big Smile

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 3,050
krikle replied on Thu, Jan 27 2011 11:49 PM

Thanks.

I saw that there...but it makes no sense why its in french. yes its specfic to canada but I"m wiling to bet there are more english speaking ppl in Canada than french lol. At the very least, it's probably 50/50 so you'd think they'd have an eng;ish version, too.

Any thoughts super dave? You've been quite helpful in the past....

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Fri, Jan 28 2011 12:39 AM

I couldn't find anything in English, and that is very strange indeed! I did scroll through that French version, though, and it doesn't have any illustrations that suggest how to open that laptop up. Some manufacturers (like HP) are very forthcoming with posting laptop disassembly info on their website, but I suspect that Sony isn't being so generous concerning this laptop. I hate ripping into laptops without a detailed plan because things break so easily. I'd be sweating bullets if I had to disassemble a customer's laptop without the instructions!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 3,050
krikle replied on Fri, Jan 28 2011 12:48 AM

Ah no sweating here, Dave. I'm more of a pro than I let on lol. Usually, i can take any one apart with my eyes closed.

I've already got it opened anyway, got a few components out, got the motherboard out..only the mouse and keyboard cables are connected and its hard to reach from underneath. Most laptops, you take the bezel thingy off the top near the screen hinges, then you can access the 2 keyboard screws, take the keyboard out and way to go. You got access to the board and stuff. But this one is a little backup. Looks to me as if you have to take the motherboard out in order to remove the keyboard. Seems like you have to start from the bottom of the notebook down with this one.

Just having some trouble with the keyboard and didn't wanna take the motherboard all the way out just to get at the keyboard and check all the connections. Oh well.

I re-applied the thermal paste again ( for the second time, using a different one and usuing less), double checked all connections on the motherboard, and tried turning it on but one end of the power cable which is connected on the opposite side of the motherboard ( under the keyboard) is d.c'ed. So I have to try to reconnect that now..small space to work with and was just trying to get the keyboard out. Oh well.

If re-applying the thermal paste, cleaning out the gunk from the fan, and making sure everything is as it should be under the lid doesn't work. I'm stumped. It's definitely shutting down because its over heating...

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator

HERE is a related thread that mentions the scarcity of info available for that laptop. If it fails to work after all of your attempts, my gut feeling is that it will need a new motherboard.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 3,050
krikle replied on Sat, Jan 29 2011 1:15 AM

So...I will admitedly say that I'm not exactly sure how I did it but... i think I fixed it... for the time being anyway.

I basically just removed the new layer of thermal compound that I put on there. Just on a hunch, put ANOTHER new layer of compound on there, but it was a different brand. I then double checked all connections, making sure everything on the board was secure. Oh, and I figured out how to remove the keyboard after, too. The clips were well hidden/disguised by the motherboard.  Cleaned out the fan too the first time.

Powered it on...still running pretty warm but not quite as bad as it was before I don't think. I didn't get any shut down problems whatsoever.  It was just much more stable. Then I updated the BIOS and then ran a virus scan. Picked up 10 or 11 detections (though I'm sure this was not the cause of the problems - it was hardware I'm pretty sure)!  As I said, it is still running hotter than I'd like it to but other than that..no shut downs and things seem to be running fine. I'm not sure if there was a possibilty that something really was just loose underneath the board. I also reseated the CPU just to make sure.. perhaps that did it? I know that if the cpu is not seated correctly it can cause problems.  Either way.... Solved?!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
HThomas replied on Sun, Apr 29 2012 10:02 PM

I have the exact same laptop, which 3 of my friends and I all bought around the same time. Around the year and a half mark, all our laptops were experiencing overheating issues, black screens on startups and freezings. I'm the only one left with this computer and I still have frequent issues with startup (not from sleep/hibernate, but from shutdown) that always show a black screen.

I'm just writing to say you are/were not alone on this issue. I'm going to replace this laptop with a desktop that is NOT made by sony.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS