AMD's Jerry Sanders Makes The Short List of CEO Candidates

rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,676
Points 1,155,565
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Jan 20 2011 4:48 PM
With Dirk Meyer out the door and AMD publicly hunting for its new CEO there's a great deal of speculation as to who AMD might want sitting in the center seat. The board's options may be more limited than it likes; several analysts have raised questions as to the BoD's credibility in the wake of Meyer's dismissal. AMD announces its Q4 earnings later today; questions about Meyer's departure will undoubtedly be on everyone's lips.

Speaking to EETimes, Andy Price, a managing partner at the executive search firm Schweichler Price Mullarkey and Barry, said: "The first question people are going to ask is, 'What's the real story about Dirk." Asked how the BoD's actions had been received, Price pointed to the credibility issue. "That's what people are thinking about AMD's board. They need to fix that yesterday," Price said. "If they are smart, what they [board members] will do is think long and hard about how to define this visionary that they publicly described."

AMD is reportedly doing everything it can not to name a current AMD employee. Given the general scarcity of CEOs with experience running semiconductor manufacturers, some of the names on the company's hypothetical short list will sound familiar. Current favorites include Pat Gelsinger (currently with EMC but spent 30 years at Intel), Anand Chandrasekher (22 years at Intel, currently head of the company's Ultra Mobility Group), and Craig Barratt (current CEO of Atheros). Perhaps most interestingly, AMD may ask one of its own founders, Jerry Sanders, to retake his previous position as CEO.

If Jerry was a dog he'd look something like this

Before he departed in 2002, Sanders helmed AMD for over thirty years. During that period he built a reputation as a charismatic, people-focused CEO whose determination and tenacity were the stuff of legend. In a world where lesser men compensated, Jerry Sanders advertised; he's said to have closed at least two major deals by staring at company representatives until they broke down and started crying.*

Joking aside, Sanders was known for his tell-it-like-it-is style. When asked in a 2001 interview why Intel was moving to 300mm wafers, Sanders answered:
Because their die is so goddamned big, they use that space up. If we have a competitive offering, we'll be able to undersell Intel. We'll be the lowest-cost provider, and we can beat them. But right now, what they're beating me with is their treasury, their market-development funds, their sweetheart deals, and their advertising. That's what I've got to overcome.
At 75, Jerry might not have the energy to take on the task of guiding AMD through difficult waters and may not want to even if he does.The fact that the Street is floating him as a genuine option is a sign that investors are deeply concerned about BoD's decision. Both Gelsinger and Chandrasekher are qualified for the job, both have decades of experience in highly relevant areas, but Sanders is a symbol of a dynamic, tenacious, scrappy AMD that resembles nothing so much as an angry Jack Russell Terrier.

AMD announces its Q4 earnings later this afternoon; we expect more details on the CEO search and Meyer's dismissal to be made available at that time.

*We might have made this part up.
  • | Post Points: 155
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Thu, Jan 20 2011 8:21 PM

AMD wanted to put me on their short list too, but after the third 30 minute argument they agreed to put me on their "tall" list if I would quit calling them.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,354
Points 48,585
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Thu, Jan 20 2011 10:27 PM

You sure they didn't say "short bus" in your conversations?

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,537
Points 54,400
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Jan 21 2011 1:13 AM

Hahaha! 3vi1 is OK in my book.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,556
Points 103,035
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Jan 21 2011 8:46 AM

Dave_HH:
3vi1 is OK in my book

Gawd yes!,.....Just for his entertainment value alone!

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 510
Points 4,700

Just from experience with non-angry Jack Russell Terriers, I don't even want to think about what a PO'ed one would be like.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,556
Points 103,035
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Jan 21 2011 9:18 AM

InfinityzeN1:
experience with non-angry Jack Russell Terriers

Jack Russell = Biggest PITA dog on the planet, and they shed uncontrollably.

Lhasa Apso is whole different story. Great disposition and no shedding at all.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,537
Points 54,400
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Jan 21 2011 9:46 AM

realneil:

InfinityzeN1:
experience with non-angry Jack Russell Terriers

Jack Russell = Biggest PITA dog on the planet, and they shed uncontrollably.

Lhasa Apso is whole different story. Great disposition and no shedding at all.

I take exception to that Neil!  HA!  I have TWO Jacks and they're awesome.  They do shed a bit but no more so than other breeds that shed from what I can see.  And both of mine just rock!

See if you can see this:  http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs797.ash1/168774_10150388696240054_684300053_16884837_6605782_n.jpg

Editor In Chief

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,556
Points 103,035
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Jan 21 2011 11:20 AM

Nice pic,...Yours are cool looking dogs, but all of my experiences in the past with that breed were crazy. I had neighbors who had three of them that used to come onto my property and kill my cats. If you've never seen a cat (your cat) being ripped up by three dogs at once, you haven't lived yet. They got out of every fence that guy ever put up.

I had a cousin who got one of them, (cute little puppy) and then promptly ignored it. It grew up into 'Mr. Unsupervised Destructo The Dog' and would destroy anything and everything he ever got a hold of. My cousin came to visit me and overnight the first night, while the house was asleep, that dog chewed all three of my TV and Stereo remotes beyond function. My cousin said that I should have known better than to leave them on the coffee table. (WTF?)

My two 120 pound Akitas had never chewed anything before, except for the rawhide and cow bones I gave them.

I think that if you give them the attention that they need, they can make an excellent family dog. Many people shouldn't own them though because the dogs are smarter than they are.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,063
Points 11,520
Joel H replied on Fri, Jan 21 2011 12:36 PM

RealNeil,

That's mostly true, and I own a Jack Russell myself. They're highly energetic, focused, hunting dogs and they need a firm hand and lots of things to do. I once knew of a feral pack of five (the sixth was my own pup, who I'd actually taken care of) who killed a bull mastiff by surrounding it and crippling its legs.

Then again, my American Staffordshire Terrier (one of the supposed "dangerous" pit bull breeds) is the kindest, nicest, gentlest dog I've ever owned.

Also, Lhasa Apso's may be nice, but they've got the intelligence of a dishrag. I prefer to tie them to sticks and use them as dusters. Or for mopping in a pinch.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,537
Points 54,400
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Jan 21 2011 12:57 PM

I pretty much agree with you there Neil.  Jacks are definitely not a breed to tangle with if you're a dog push-over type owner.  Also, it depends on the lineage too.  I got my dogs from a breeder known for breeding calmer, short-leg Jacks with good temperaments.  I do dominate them though. They have to know who's boss or they will definitely own you.  I love that tenacity about them though.  They're 100 lbs of dog in a 22lb body, wicked fast, all muscle too. 

I also have an underground fence that keeps my boys in the perimeter.  Your neighbor should have known better with a cat next door.  Max (my older one) only dug a little early on but we didn't have a fence teasing him between him and the neighbor's cat.  With the radio fence, he'd get an audible and then would get his hair curled if he got closer.  Ha! 

Radio fences are the best, most humane thing you can do for a dog.  They correct them right at the point of error so they learn instantly, then most don't challenge them again, so long as you have enough juice.  :)  Max doesn't even need the radio collar any more.  He doesn't even test the perimeter.

Sorry to hear about your cat there. Sad

Editor In Chief

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 324
Points 4,305

realneil:

If you've never seen a cat (your cat) being ripped up by three dogs at once, you haven't lived yet.

It's not a pretty sight, lucky for me I was on the opposite side, My two rottweilers and my Doberman have gotten a hold on several cats that have come into our property (we have 10 feet concrete walls surrounding the house and fence/concrete in front)  Seeing them play tug of war and rip apart a cat slowly while its agonizing is just horrible.  

i7-950@3.8 + Asus Sabertooth X58+ CM692 Advanced+ 6GB A-Data Gaming DDR3@1600

ATI Radeon 6870+ 1TB Hitachi HD+ 750w Modular PSU + Asetek Liquid Cooler + DigitalStorm PC  

YesThanks To HotHardware.ComYes

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 324
Points 4,305

Dave_HH:

Max doesn't even need the radio collar any more.  He doesn't even test the perimeter.

DR. Ian  Malcolm :"You've never heard of Chaos theory? Dave"

Dr. Ian Malcolm: "Dave, the kind of control you're attempting is not possible. If there's one thing the history of evolution has taught us, it's that life will not be contained. Life breaks free. It expands to new territories. It crashes through barriers painfully, maybe even dangerously, but - well, there it is... All I'm saying is that life finds a way."

i7-950@3.8 + Asus Sabertooth X58+ CM692 Advanced+ 6GB A-Data Gaming DDR3@1600

ATI Radeon 6870+ 1TB Hitachi HD+ 750w Modular PSU + Asetek Liquid Cooler + DigitalStorm PC  

YesThanks To HotHardware.ComYes

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,556
Points 103,035
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Jan 21 2011 2:42 PM

Joel H:
Lhasa Apso's may be nice, but they've got the intelligence of a dishrag.

Mine is smarter than many people I know.

I'm diabetic and sometimes my sugar goes low. If it happens while I'm asleep, there could be serious problems. But Tika somehow senses it happening, knows it's a bad thing, and wakes me up in the most horrible way. She sticks her tongue in my nostril and that totally freaks me out. I'm awake instantly and realize that I have a problem to deal with. She's done this several times.

She loves to play ball more than any other dog I've ever seen too.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,063
Points 11,520
Joel H replied on Fri, Jan 21 2011 3:00 PM

Maybe you just have realllly tasty boogers?

(In all seriousness, I believe it. Dogs can smell all sorts of crazy stuff.)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,556
Points 103,035
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Jan 21 2011 3:18 PM

Joel H:
Maybe you just have realllly tasty boogers?

That's probably it,.....and my farts smell like lotus blossoms too.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,083
Points 10,970
CDeeter replied on Fri, Jan 21 2011 4:46 PM

lol..you guys got tears comin from my eyes........what was the topic?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,556
Points 103,035
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Jan 21 2011 5:28 PM

CDeeter:
lol..you guys got tears comin from my eyes........what was the topic?

Why it was Jerry Sanders, of course!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,620
coolice replied on Sun, Jan 23 2011 4:35 PM

I like how the topic went from AMD CEO FIRED... NEED REPLACEMENT... OMG Dogs are the BEST!... No My Dog is good... Dude, they shed all the time....But their big! and can save lifes!

I feel for AMD.... my next upgrade is going to be an intel after being an AMD fan for a very long time.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,620
coolice replied on Sun, Jan 23 2011 4:37 PM

^notice how i left intel in small caps.... i feel bad ditching amd

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,063
Points 11,520
Joel H replied on Mon, Jan 24 2011 3:43 PM

Maybe, but you didn't capitalize AMD in your last post. I don't think it matters. ;) If you've got an AM3 board and no immediate need to upgrade, you might as well wait and see how Bulldozer performs before you jump one way or the other.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
mzimmerm replied on Tue, Jan 25 2011 11:30 AM

AMD Board should Jerry back, I think that's the only way to revert the mess they created by firing Dirk. (Creating investor's value was the reason? That was an insult) Jerry will put AMD back on track and hopefully teach a new successor.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 10,620
coolice replied on Tue, Jan 25 2011 11:18 PM
Details.... Minor Details http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIOliBDmUJo

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,761
Points 40,455
Inspector replied on Wed, Jan 26 2011 12:21 AM

I just had to jump back to your dogs... Dave, too much tech :) lol. BTW i love the blue/green eyes they have :)

Now back to amd :P lol see what i did there? :D

I should give amd a try myself as i really don't remember owning a amd build yet...

Page 1 of 1 (24 items) | RSS