Stupid patent of the day....

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 Posted: Fri, Jan 7 2011 8:17 AM

Microsoft tries to patent 'become a fan' functionality pre-existing in other social network sites:  http://techflash.com/seattle/2011/01/microsoft-applies-for-patent-on-being.html

No doubt, in 15 years, everyone will be under the misconception that Microsoft invented the idea... just like DOS, Windows, etc.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310

So was it accepted?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sat, Jan 8 2011 10:18 AM

Inspector:

So was it accepted?

I don't think it has been, yet.  But it probably will - since you can get a patent on swinging sideways through the system.

Here's the scary part though:  Both Apple and Microsoft have been lobbying for patent reform in the form of a "first to file" system.  So, if they can get the system changed, and this goes through (since there's no pre-existing patent, just inventions) they can sue Facebook and others who were doing this *years* before Microsoft filed.

The end result of the first-to-file system they want would be that you can look at new inventions, then go patent all the little obvious things that a non-evil inventor wouldn't patent (or doesn't have the tens of thousands of dollars to patent, in the case of independent software developers), then sue the original company/inventor for their own inventions.

Software patents need to be completely obliterated.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 146
Points 2,025
Optix replied on Sat, Jan 8 2011 9:28 PM

Wow...just...wow.

I tried to read through the swing patent but part of my skull caved in and I started to drool.

Intel i3 530 @ 4.2Ghz/Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3/2x2GB G.Skill Eco & 2x2GB Kingston Blu @ 1520mhz, Coolit Vantage C240

Sapphire 6850 Toxic Edition, Mushkin Calisto Deluxe 60GB, Western Digital 640GB Caviar Black, Western Digital Scorpio Black 200GB (Vantec NexStar3 enclosure)

LG GH22LS50 DVD Writer, Ultra X4 850w PSU

Lian Li PC-P50WB

Slave to technology.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 182
Points 2,085

the patent system has always been absurd, stupid, retarded, and embarrassing

"The old appeals to racial, sexual, religious chauvinism to rabid nationalist furver are beginning not to work. A new consciousness is developing which sees the earth as a single organism and recognizes that an organism at war with itself is doomed"- Carl Sagan

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS