Anyone played around with Virtual Box?

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210
nelsoncp21 Posted: Sun, Dec 19 2010 10:28 PM

A friend led me to a program called virtual box. Sounds like a really interesting and full of potential. I was just wondering if anyone here has played around with it and what kinda uses they are getting out of it.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 227
Points 3,660
transam02 replied on Mon, Dec 20 2010 8:37 AM

Yea I use it. Its a pretty useful program to use to test out different linux Operating Systems. Also a very big plus is that its free.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 227
Points 3,660
transam02 replied on Mon, Dec 20 2010 8:42 AM

Here is a site that has several images. Also you can create your own images.

http://virtualboxes.org/images/

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Mon, Dec 20 2010 12:21 PM

nelsoncp21:

A friend led me to a program called virtual box. Sounds like a really interesting and full of potential. I was just wondering if anyone here has played around with it and what kinda uses they are getting out of it.

Yeah - I've been using it for quite a while.  (At least a little before April 2009 -See the tags on this message)

I imaged my old XP hard drive and put it in a VM that I use whenever I'm testing cross-platform apps.  It has 3D acceleration too, but most games run a heck of a lot faster under Wine.  It is good for one idiotic training company I've used, who's virtual classroom software is implemented as a clunky ActiveX control.

I also have several different Linux distros (Mint, Debian, Suse, Jolicloud, Ubuntu, and some others) in it that I use when testing bleeding-edge dist upgrades.

I'll keep using it for now, as I prefer its simplicity over vmWare.  But, Oracle is doing a lot to turn the community away from their projects.  If someone forks it and writes their own USB extensions, I could see jumping ship to the new project.

To the current dev's credit, they fixed a bug I reported in the VBox 4.0 beta in amazing time.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Wed, Dec 22 2010 2:55 PM

By the way, the 4.0 final was released today, and includes the RONX fix that was causing problems for people running the latest Natty alpha kernel.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS