Has The Web Become As Important To Kids As TV?

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,181
Points 1,185,815
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Dec 17 2010 4:47 PM

For years, parents have punished misbehaving kids by banning them from watching TV. Now, a new report shows that Internet access is on the same playing field as TV in many parents' eyes. According to a report from researchers at the University of Southern California, more and more parents are limiting Internet access as a form of punishment as well.

Really, this should come as no surprise given the amount of TV shows and other entertainment-related activities we enjoy over the Web. Among the parents surveyed, two-thirds restrict access to the TV as punishment. This number has remained fairly static for 10 years. By contrast, the number of parents who limit Internet access has nearly doubled in the last 10 years. Over half (57 percent) of the parents surveyed said they withheld Internet access to punish their kids. In 2000, only 32 percent of parents said they limited Internet access during punishment.

Even though parents are beginning to see less of a difference between TV watching and Internet use, parents still seem to be more comfortable with the amount of time kids spend on the computer—71 percent of parents felt their kids' Internet time was "just about right" compared to 51 percent for TV time.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Sun, Dec 19 2010 3:25 PM

As far as it goes my 4 year old likes the internet better than TV. Her current favorite is a site that teaches her to read. Of course she is monitored whenever she is on the internet actively at all times. She has a toolbar set up with links to sites she can go to anyway, which are all children's site anyway as well.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 182
Points 2,085

not eh case for my bro. He is glued to my xbox

"The old appeals to racial, sexual, religious chauvinism to rabid nationalist furver are beginning not to work. A new consciousness is developing which sees the earth as a single organism and recognizes that an organism at war with itself is doomed"- Carl Sagan

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Mon, Dec 20 2010 2:20 AM

I say it varies really, my younger brother who is 12 prefers xbox 360, because of xbox live and the fact that all his friends play games like call of duty on microsofts online service, while my sister on the otherhand prefers the pc because of games like club penguin that she and her friends play,

However both of them use facebook ALOT, and I mean alot for games like farmville and such.

I think as human communication becomes more digital and becomes or technology integrated into the web, the internet will become not only more important to children but to people everywhere

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 23
Points 175
I think in many ways it has become more important than tv since you can socially interact while also you can watch shows and movies at once. Thats just a few things you can do. Tv is completely limited by a few channels (well more like a few hundred but still) internet you have total control and can do almost limitless things.
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS