AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition CPU Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,199
Points 1,186,515
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Dec 7 2010 12:01 AM

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition CPUJust in time for the holidays, AMD is refreshing it’s line-up of desktop six-core processor offerings with a brand new flagship CPU, dubbed the Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition. As you can surmise from its name, the 1100T is clocked higher than the 1090T it will be supplanting at the top of AMD’s line-up and its “Black Edition” moniker denotes an unlocked chip for more flexible overclocking.

We been playing with one of AMD’s new Phenom II X5 1100T Black Edition processors for a little while now and have a full performance profile laid out on the pages ahead...

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition CPU Review

• | Post Points: 110
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 435
Points 6,255

Hmmm, doesn't seem too different than the 1090T, just kicked it up a notch.  Bought my 1090T on opening day (April 26th) So I guess I had a good run at owning AMD's fastest desktop proc.  Its funny how this is cheaper than the 1090T at release.

i7 950 - ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme - ASUS GTX 570 - AZZA Hurricane - 6 GB Corsair 1600 - Corsair AX750 - WD 1tb black  Cool Thank You HH!!!!!!Cool

AMD 1090T - MSI 890FXA-GD70 - XFX HD5850 x2 - CM Storm Scout - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 - Corsair HX850 - Sammy spinpoint f3 

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 73
Points 800

amd needs to focus on bulldoser.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,945

I find it funny that you bring this up

• Can't Touch An Intel 6-Core In Terms of Performance
  • Considering that it is less than 1/3rd the price the the cheapest Intel 6-Core (and we're not talking cheap parts here), you can't really compare its performance.  I don't see you can put a 6-core chip from AMD and Intel in the same budget.  Sure it's nice to say "They both have 6 cores!" but their worlds apart in price.

Top 100 Contributor
    Posts 1,099
    Points 13,965
    fat78 replied on Tue, Dec 7 2010 2:43 PM

I like the review, but i want to see the next line of chips.

Any one have any info on how the chips are coming?

Top 10 Contributor
    Posts 8,658
    Points 104,150
    MembershipAdministrator

The release of CPU's like this one just cement my feelings of goodwill towards AMD. I firmly believe that without AMD in the picture, Intel's prices would be through the roof even more so than they are are right now.

This AMD part is not even close to the overall performance that you get with the Hex core Intel CPU, but it's performance isn't to be taken lightly either. As others have pointed out, the price/performance ratio is sweet, making this an affordable performance alternative for many of us.

I too would like to see what's next in line for AMD releases, but will probably buy my next system's set of parts before they're released. Sandy Bridge may be what I end up with,......

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 200 Contributor
    Posts 436
    Points 3,395

I have a 1055t running at 3.5 ghz, and im plenty happy with it.  For the price that i paid for it, and what i use it for (gaming, audio and video editing) it does a really good job.  I will just wait for bulldozer in hopes that it will be better than whats out there now.

Not Ranked
    Posts 73
    Points 800

well considering 4 core intels stomp the 6 core amds into the dirt..thats why they should focus on bulldoser :) and $300 for a i7-950 compared to $220..well worth the extra $80...then again x58 mobos are much more expensive...i've always been an amd fan, but they need to get back to the top again, they are slacking.

• | Post Points: 35
    Top 10 Contributor
    Posts 8,658
    Points 104,150
    MembershipAdministrator

MMcCutcheon:
    i've always been an amd fan, but they need to get back to the top again

Yeah, but it's hard to compete with the Borg. Intel's R&D budget is enormous compared to AMD's.

MMcCutcheon:
    4 core intels stomp the 6 core amds into the dirt..thats why they should focus on bulldoser

I'd be willing to bet that they're doing that already,....tweaking it as much as possible before they release it. I think it will be good too.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 200 Contributor
    Posts 435
    Points 6,255

@MMcCutcheon, I have the Intel i7 950, as well as the AMD Phenom II 1090T. I must say, that the i7 does not stomp my 6core into the dirt. Actually, I feel like my AMD chip performs better after overclocked. Use both rigs for folding, (although I have slowed down due to my heat bill) and I believe the 1090T pulls more points than the i7 950.

So, the i7 is faster core for core, but there are many advanteges of an AMD offering. And like you said, you will be spending more on your board and memory with a x58 combo.

I can't wait for bulldozer either, but you can't deny the great performance of AMD's current line

i7 950 - ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme - ASUS GTX 570 - AZZA Hurricane - 6 GB Corsair 1600 - Corsair AX750 - WD 1tb black  Cool Thank You HH!!!!!!Cool

AMD 1090T - MSI 890FXA-GD70 - XFX HD5850 x2 - CM Storm Scout - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 - Corsair HX850 - Sammy spinpoint f3 

Not Ranked
    Posts 73
    Points 800

all i know is im lookin for a cpu that will last a few years...intels seem to be lastin a bit longer then amds. even though in the past 15 years i've owned nothing but AMD. the last intel chip i owned was a pentium 1 233mhz :) i just think amd can do better then what they have done and ati/amd merger kinda made me not wanna buy amd anymore cause i've just never liked ati. nvidias drivers have usually been the best and most games to date favor NVIDIA all the way.

Not Ranked
    Posts 1
    Points 5
    nemowho replied on Fri, Dec 10 2010 2:38 PM

Likewise, my 1090T cruises along at 3.5 ghz without batting an eye (not pushing to 4 until I get a non-stock HSF), and I'm thinking this new SKU chip might drive the 1090 pricing even lower than it currently is. Great CPUs all around, though, I must say. AMD FTW at this price point! \o/

Top 10 Contributor
    Posts 8,658
    Points 104,150
    MembershipAdministrator
    realneil replied on Fri, Dec 10 2010 3:21 PM

MMcCutcheon:
    im lookin for a cpu that will last a few years...intels seem to be lastin a bit longer then amds.

But older AMD AM3 CPU's will work on the next platform's AM3+ motherboards.  The new Intel parts being released soon need both the CPU and the Motherboard to work. So there exists a little more longevity with AMD this time around. (not like socket 939) Intel CPU's run faster, but cost more to buy.

nemowho:
    my 1090T cruises along at 3.5 ghz without batting an eye

Yeah, nothing wrong with such performance at a great price point.

Top 50 Contributor
    Posts 2,913
    Points 24,635
    digitaldd replied on Mon, Dec 13 2010 1:47 PM

Can we cook meat on the CPU while its under load?  Wink

Top 10 Contributor
    Posts 8,658
    Points 104,150
    MembershipAdministrator
    realneil replied on Mon, Dec 13 2010 6:12 PM

digitaldd:
    Can we cook meat on the CPU while its under load?

Let me know how that works out,.....

Top 100 Contributor
    Posts 988
    Points 10,635
    coolice replied on Sun, Jan 23 2011 4:52 PM

I think there was an experiment with cooking i saw. With the nvidia 460? or 480? series gpu. Some hackers tried to cook an egg and it was almost sucessful haha. 

Crazy. 

Not Ranked
    Posts 13
    Points 125
    BJew replied on Wed, Sep 7 2011 5:10 PM

and you should focus on your spelling :P

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS