We Call Shenanigans on Sony's 4.1 Million Move Controller Sales

rated by 0 users
This post has 27 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,149
Points 1,185,160
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Dec 1 2010 1:14 PM
Microsoft on Monday announced it had sold 2.5 million Kinect motion controlled cameras in just 25 days and is on track to reach its goal of selling 5 million by the end of the year. Not to be outdone, Sony a day later issued a press release claiming it had sold 4.1 million of its Move motion controllers since it was released two months ago. According to Sony, "the number not only shows clear success of the launch of the new motion sensing controller but also indicates positive momentum going in to the holiday season and to the year 2011." So why are we calling shenanigans?

What Sony didn't disclose, at least not at first, is that its 4.1 million figure doesn't actually represent consumer sales, but units shipped to stores. What's more, some 75 percent of the sales in the U.S. are bundles, though we're less critical of that figure.

"While we don't disclose our exact sell-through number, the key is that our retailers continue to ask for more Move units and are taking every unit we can supply them with based on their sales," Sony explained to Engadget in an email.

Fair enough, but that's the sort of thing Sony should have been upfront about, especially considering the timing of their press release. In all reality, some analysts think the actual number of Move units sold is closer to that of the Kinect, but with a one month head start.

"I understand that they sold through around one million through the end of October (tracking NBD results and extrapolating for Europe), and it's reasonable that with the Japanese launch they have sold through another 1.5 million in November, but I'd peg the sell through number at closer to 2.5 million, or exactly on par with Kinect, albeit over a longer time frame," said Michael Pacter, an analyst with Wedbush Securities.
  • | Post Points: 170
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30

Well, it's seems who ever wrote this article is biased towards the Move in generally..perhaps you own the Kinect already? lol Hands down tho, the Move is far better for gamers..period!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965

Cheeky shenanigans?

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,945

Welcome to the boards troll... I mean PamPam, way to make a first post. Insult the writer when he post quotes with clearly listed sources, then say that the object of the review is the better. So do you work for Sony or do you just enjoy sucking their... Move.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Wed, Dec 1 2010 3:11 PM

I call shenanigans on all the Kinect stories.

Microsoft low balled their initial sales estimates so that they could make this look like the "must have" product for Christmas. The reality is that they're still catching up to the EyeToy in sales.

Remember that - when the EyeToy came out? Remember the dozens and dozens of great games that came out for it? Remember before every game used it as the now defacto standard controller?

What about the Kinect games? The fact that there are three dance games, three sports games, and another three dance games and another 4 sports games in development should tell you something about how quickly this fad is going to burn out.  Microsoft's just trying to make all their dev money back before people come to their senses.  It's a smart business move - we just don't have to fall for it.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Wed, Dec 1 2010 3:21 PM

I don't think PamPam's a troll, InfinityzeN1. Saying the writer was biased is not an insult, just an observation. There's nothing wrong with being biased - ask me how I feel about Microsoft sometime. :)  The fact that this article appeared shortly after I mentioned the 4.1M number while yawning at the Kinect story did strike me as a pro-Kinect reaction too.  MS managed to get two times the advertising here in a single day.

I also don't believe there were any "shenanigans" by Sony. The only number they have might be the number shipped... Whereas Microsoft knows for sure that you have bought a Kinect... and how many people are in your living room... and which advert to show you next based on what you're wearing. Hehe...

(Full disclosure:  Own both the 360 and the PS3, and I won't touch the Move or Kinect with a 10ft poll.  I've got too much experience with peripherals to fall these woefully short-lived add-ons anymore.)

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,945

My calling him a troll was based on the fact that he joined the board shortly after this little news blip went live. Personnally I would not buy eather, since neather of them is actually really good for games.

His comment that "the Move is far better for gamers..period!" really shows how much he is trolling. The Kinect is the far more capable system of the three (Wii, Move, Kinect). Full body skeletal motion capture using IR, active sensor leveling, and multi parabolic mikes. It is already tied into core activities of the 360 that have nothing to do with games. Hand held controllers for it are coming.

Although a Kinect for gaming does not interest me, getting one and using the open source driver to link it to a computer has some very interesting possibilities.

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 40
Points 455

All I have to say is that PR is doing their job. If articles like these appear then Sony is obviously getting their product out by word of mouth even if it's "shenanigans!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Wed, Dec 1 2010 4:12 PM

InfinityzeN1:
Personnally I would not buy eather, since neather of them is actually really good for games.

Common ground!

InfinityzeN1:
His comment that "the Move is far better for gamers..period!" really shows how much he is trolling. The Kinect is the far more capable system of the three (Wii, Move, Kinect).

But... If I stop reading there, you did exactly what he did... right?  :)

You do go on to make a reasonable argument for the Kinect, but one could take the counterpoint that the Move is a much more precise... can be used while getting fat on the couch... and can be used with first-person-shooting games.  Requiring additional add-ons to add those capabilities isn't fairly comparing the two existing systems (the Move could add a second camera and then we're back to stalemate).

I think these two might enjoy more success if they pushed them as a "Lets you email video greetings to Grandma and video chat with friends" type peripheral.  In the end, I don't think they will really catch on unless they become an unavoidable pack-in, or are bundled as part of the next gen systems.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 213
Points 2,220

Biased? Truth be told, I'm biased towards the original Atari 2600 controller - it rocked for Pong, Asteroids, Pitfall, and scores of other awesome gaming. ;)

As for the Move vs Kinect vs Wii Remote, I don't have a dog in this fight, so it makes no difference to me which one sells the best (motion controlled gaming at this point doesn't excite me). I did, however, find Sony's press release interesting, not for what it said, but what it didn't say, as well as the timing.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,945

If you stop reading there, then yes.  Since I am in the military, I commonly do what is known as front loading.  You state your overall point up front, then follow it with all the supporting information.  Allows people who don't have time to read the whole thing to get the point right off the bat.  As I said before, I'm not a fan of any of them for gaming.  From a tech point of view, I find the kinect most interesting because of that open source driver.

3vi1:
I think these two might enjoy more success if they pushed them as a "Lets you email video greetings to Grandma and video chat with friends" type peripheral

This I actually agree with strongly.  I think the best thing Microsoft can do to reallyl help the Kinect is to push all the non-gaming things it can do and continue to tie it into the system.  Voice and body control of the dashboard, watching videos, listening to music, etc.  I know they have already started this, they just need to push it more.

I am really looking forward to the day when we don't need to use a mouse and keyboard for most activities to do then efficently.  I know there are things out there now that let you use your voice or "pure brain power" today but they are rather clunky.  When I can wave my hand around and have it do the same thing as mouse gestures in a browser, while taking voice commands where you would type, then I'll be a really happy camper.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 165

Honestly, I think motion-based controllers are all ridiculous. If I wanted to get up and jump around, I'd go outside for cryin' out loud. "Bring back the light gun!" I say. Shooters are the only reason I've been interested in motion controllers anyway.

As far as comparing them, I just can't bring myself to want an Xbox for any reason. I'm not going to pay to play online, I'm not using a controller that scans me or my home and sends data to Microsoft, and from a hardware standpoint the PS3 is quite frankly the superior system. I've had mine since launch, played it nearly everyday for several hours, and have never had a problem. Not one.

Let's see Microsoft build a supercomputer out of Xbox consoles.

This isn't intended as a trolling message. I just don't like motion-based controllers. I don't like touch screens. But hey, I'm an old guy. I still love text-based gaming. So maybe that's just me.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

"What Sony didn't disclose, at least not at first, is that its 4.1 million figure doesn't actually represent consumer sales, but units shipped to stores. "

Actually Sony DID specify that. You come off as sounding like some butthurt fanboys who cant take that Kinect with its 3 times higher cost and less games didnt sell as well.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30

Infinity, Military= Ant Eater. Sony RULZ..Japanese or American Microsoft??? hmmm Mac or Microsoft...wait don't answer that..You obviously are not the creative type.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30

Only Trolls call other people trolls...Let me know if you need me to help you open up your juice box.

Not Ranked
Posts 72
Points 660

Sony does this all the time, in fact they all do. They pulled the same numbers thing with the PSN network membership = the amount of psp owners (it doesn't) and with Blu Ray players in households (counting PS3s as well). They all do this puffing. I couldn't care less at the end of the day. Oh, and I am so tired of every time there is a biased or negative post someone always has to play the "fanboy" card.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35
DPeterson replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 12:52 PM

"call shenanigans"? Wow how lame is this guy...what is he 40 years old or something?

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20
unxty replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 2:04 PM

Replace Microsoft with Sony, and Kinect with move, and this whole thing still means the same thing. I am more of a fan of 360, but I do love my ps3. One thing about both that I don't like are Kinect and Move, played both, Kinect felt more intuitive, but Move felt more precise. The only problem is neither have a games out that make me want to buy either. I already have a Wii for my motion fun, and its sitting neatly beneath that inch of dust.

~toodles

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20
unxty replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 2:05 PM

Microsoft, but thats because I'm more of the creative type.

/feeds the troll

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20
unxty replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 2:08 PM

Graphics and system hardware =/= Gameplay and story

That said, I buy only exclusive ps3 titles and blurays for my ps3, any cross platform go to the 360. I like the controller and the interface and online a hell of alot better. My 2 cents

~toodles

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20
unxty replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 2:14 PM

4.1 in 2 months is about 2.05 million copies in one month, which is .45 million (or 450,000) less then Microsoft's 2.5 in one month, so tell me again how Move is outselling Kinect?

also, Move starter kit is $100, Kinect is $150.  150 is not 3 times as much as 100, infact its only 1.5 as much.

Love

Math Nazi

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,647
Points 104,065
MembershipAdministrator

DPeterson:
"call shenanigans"? Wow how lame is this guy...what is he 40 years old or something?

so 40 years old is a bad thing?

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965

DPeterson:

Super Troopers came out in '01, the revitalization.

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Not Ranked
Posts 40
Points 455

My boss says it. He's around 30 and I think it's pretty funny, but also a sign of nerdism. However, we're all here, so we're all a bit of a nerd =)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,647
Points 104,065
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Dec 6 2010 10:12 AM

countcristo:
My boss says it.

It was a popular saying years ago, we were inundated with it. People picked it up as a result.

My Dad said that people were becoming a 'product' of advertising themselves,..............

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

SO what, they dont think they have PS3's in China?

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,647
Points 104,065
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Dec 9 2010 10:53 PM

animatortom:
SO what, they dont think they have PS3's in China?

Those are all counterfeitSurprise,.......

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

If they are made in China,...and China gets the midnight shift to make double the production and sells them to a seperate market. They are not really counterfeit,....thay are just black marketedTongue Tied

Thats why the Chinese workers have to get hooked on meth and work around the clock so they can over produce and bring down the capitalist marketIndifferent

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance