On-Demand Revolution Spells Doom for DVD and Blu-ray

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,082
Points 1,183,070
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Nov 29 2010 12:22 PM
Will you shed a tear for the DVD format when it's dead and gone? What about for Blu-ray? Don't worry, neither one of those formats is on the verge of going belly-up, but that comes as little consolation to film studios and retailers who can do nothing but sit and watch as sales for these formats continue to slump.

According to The Digital Entertainment Group, both sales and rentals of DVDs and Blu-ray discs fell 7 percent to $10.9 billion so far in 2010, and according to the British Video Association, sales last year were down as well. Why the downfall?

The economy is certainly playing a role, but so too is the digital revolution. On-demand content is being piped through TVs, set-top boxes, game consoles, and even Blu-ray players, to name just a few. Even Netflix acknowledges that it's primarily a streaming service these days.

"There no doubt that the physical DVD market will be down this year," says Paul Dempsey, director of BBC Worldwide's Home Entertainment division. "There will still be collectors and gifters who want high-quality, beautifully packaged DVDs. What is more challenging for us is those consumers who used to come to DVD in distress because they missed an episode and had to wait for the DVD. Now they are being satisfied by great on-demand services like iPlayer."

Of course, there are always exceptions. James Cameron's Avatar sold 6 million copies in three weeks and is currently the No. 1 selling Blu-ray movie.
  • | Post Points: 140
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965
jonation replied on Mon, Nov 29 2010 1:38 PM

The market will be around until our internet-infrastructure can handle the streaming of 1080p or whatever other resolution is cool by then.

But Netflix I'd say is really the end of it. Most people like renting, you see it and now you don't have to own it, not to mention the convenience of "at home renting". They combine the best of e-commerce and internet utilities to bring a very attractive, easy, and convenient solution to watching movies.

I did not get paid to say that, although...

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,621
Points 103,870
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Nov 29 2010 6:30 PM

jonation:
I did not get paid to say that, although...

I feel the same way. My NetFlix account, combined with my ROKU player, is worth every penny that I pay for it. You just can't say that about many other services out there.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

I want my money back for my entire 5200DVD collection! As well as my huge Laserdisc collection! And my VHS collection!

Or at least allow trade in for the new Bluerays or other new formats for the same movies that I have already had to buy more than five times over!

I mean seriously how many times must I buy the FINAL new special collectors remastered directors cut of the Alien Quadrilogy!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Not Ranked
Posts 324
Points 4,305

animatortom:

I want my money back for my entire 5200DVD collection! As well as my huge Laserdisc collection! And my VHS collection!

Or at least allow trade in for the new Bluerays or other new formats for the same movies that I have already had to buy more than five times over!

So what will happen when 2k comes ??....

i7-950@3.8 + Asus Sabertooth X58+ CM692 Advanced+ 6GB A-Data Gaming DDR3@1600

ATI Radeon 6870+ 1TB Hitachi HD+ 750w Modular PSU + Asetek Liquid Cooler + DigitalStorm PC  

YesThanks To HotHardware.ComYes

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

Are you talking about 2K games, or the Media Codex?

There are millions out there trying to develop the next gen of media formats. They just need to settle on one that has the capability to playback cinema quality movies and stick with that one. Most of the 80's movies are just run through a digital filter and expanded audio. With the right program people can do the same thing on their home computers.  Only the newer movies that are actually shot in digital and mixed with 8.1 surround tracks benefit from the new formats that are designed for that quality.  Everything else is just an old movie run through a photoshop filter:P

Right now there are too many people trying to make money of pre-existing properties by over saturating product, without putting that money back into developing new properties or promoting new talent. No one is going to hand over the next Star Wars if they know they are not going to make money off the sales and marketing. They just end up seeing people like Lucas who need to go to Singapore to set up a new studio because it is to expensive to start one here!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Tue, Nov 30 2010 12:05 AM

I said this as soon as we got Comcast on demand. They usually have most movies for $4.99 before there available on DVD, often the day they leave theaters, sometimes before, and for 1/2-1/4 of the price and I don't even have to leave home.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,473
Points 47,020
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Tue, Nov 30 2010 12:21 AM

Fortunately the price of Blu-Ray has remained high enough to keep many, like myself, from indulging. Nyuk nyuk!!!Stick out tongue

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
SDeppert replied on Tue, Nov 30 2010 1:59 AM

Nope I like to own movies. Compared to blu-ray it neflix on demand looks terrible.

Not Ranked
Posts 324
Points 4,305

animatortom:

Are you talking about 2K games, or the Media Codex?

2k resolution, don't know what they gonna call it, maybe 2k Blu-ray, Red-Ray ,Green-Ray, Sun-Ray..who knows !! I'm just hoping for 2k or 4k to come out, I'm tired of 1080p already Stick out tongue  Lcd technology is so cheap , I mean you can buy a good 32" 1080p for $350 these days. I hoping manufacturers get bored with HD (1080) and start competing for 2k next year.

In reality people are already gaming in 1600p (2,560 x 1,600) why not take movies and entertainment to another level.

Now, talking about the subject, I think the obvious fact is that digital piracy is the one to blame. As we see more and more countries getting broadband access, higher bandwidth abroad and locally , more people are gonna download more music and movies. Today you can easily download two or three movies in one night, and in 720p blu-ray rips,and talking about those rips,the quality and compression of Divx technology is amazing (I Miss Stage6 ).

And what about those DVD copies that are selling @5 bucks or 3 for ten on the streets, and the ones you can copy from your friend in your computer.

Netflix is nice, but I'm a movie nut, I like having a physical copy(original) of my favorite movies, in my home, ready to watch when ever I like and watch it with Family and friends. Nothing like having a two or three disc set with commentary from the director, deleted scenes , alternative endings, and all that behind the scene action.

i7-950@3.8 + Asus Sabertooth X58+ CM692 Advanced+ 6GB A-Data Gaming DDR3@1600

ATI Radeon 6870+ 1TB Hitachi HD+ 750w Modular PSU + Asetek Liquid Cooler + DigitalStorm PC  

YesThanks To HotHardware.ComYes

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Its either netflix for the movies I want to watch and blue-ray for movies I want to watch again...

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,621
Points 103,870
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Nov 30 2010 8:46 AM

Super Dave:
Fortunately the price of Blu-Ray has remained high enough to keep many, like myself, from indulging.

I just bought four BluRay's for $10.00 each on Black Friday, and I got 6 more of them for $5.00 apiece too. I also got 8 DVD's for 2 bucks each.

WalMart has $7 BluRays all of the time. I like having a hard copy of my movies too.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I love blu-ray, and I love my netflix streaming service. It's simply a case that if I love something, and want to own it, I buy a physical copy, if it's a high-end effects movie, I'll rent a physical copy, if I just want to see it, I'll stream it.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Australia is set to get 100mbit fiber to every suburban house over the next few years. I think once this has been rolled out that it will be the biggest test for all types of physical media.

10 years time video stores and game retailers will be a thing of the past.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
JNeish replied on Wed, Dec 1 2010 1:25 PM

Optical media isn't going anywhere!

I think when it comes to movies and loved TV shows, people want to own a physical object. Music is small enough, and the end user experience is different enough, that digital makes sense. But if I'm going to buy a movie, I want to own something I can hold in my hand. Also quality and special features are my highest priority, and download just doesn't cut it on either of those.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,621
Points 103,870
MembershipAdministrator

JNeish:
Optical media isn't going anywhere!

Not as long as they keep selling it for such discounted prices. I see nothing wrong with DVD quality and as I said before, I too, prefer to own my own hard copy of the good movies.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS