BitDefender: Malware, It's In Your Face(book)!

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,710
Points 1,208,340
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Nov 25 2010 9:32 AM
Social networking: It's all fun and games until some scuzzball infects your system with malware, but that's not a concern on Facebook, right? Wrong, says security firm BitDefender, which claims that malware is mucking around in news feeds of some 20 percent of Facebook users. When you're talking about a userbase of more than 500 million members, well, let's just say we're concerned.

To be fair, BitDefender didn't ping every user's news feed, 'just' 14,000 of them. That's still a significant sample, and if you're a glass half-empty kind of person, it's conceivable that the 20 percent figure is undershooting things (and if you sip from a glass half-full, it could be way too high once you analyze all 500+ million members).

Most of the infections BitDefender found were associated with apps written by independent developers. These typically promised some type of reward in order to get users to install them, so there's a big common sense aspect here in order to avoid falling prey to a holiday ruining infection.

If nothing else, let this be a reminder to surf safely, no matter what your online destination.
  • | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 71
Points 790
EHarler replied on Sat, Nov 27 2010 7:02 PM

So besides the privacy hole, now there seem to be lots of security holes exploited by malware. Nice..

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,809
Points 18,105

People who have nothing better to do!

I have a tough enough time finding time just to have fun on HotHardware! Much less finding time to write maleware!

That is why I think most maleware is developed by the companies that sell antivirus software!

Either way...Two words......YOU SUCK!

Intel Core i7-875K Quad
Asetek 510LC 120MM
4GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR-3
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
CyberPower 800 PSU
Kingston 64GB SSD 
2 Hitachi 1-TB HDD'S
FirePro V8800
8X Blu-Ray DVD±R/±RW
HPw2207 22" LCD
Cintiq 21UX
CoolerMaster 690II Advance
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Special thanks to HotHardware.com!
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

yes, Facebook is quite menacing when it comes to malware. safego has revealed that many links on the popular site are full of nasties that can make you regret ever clicking on them.

If anyone has any issues with safego, i'm happy to help.

-Jason

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 54
Points 670
sKrappy replied on Fri, Dec 3 2010 2:35 AM

hey baby its you old pall facebook i just wanted to let you know that i have malware, you might want to get tested.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS