Switched to AHCI, now get blue screens

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
segolden Posted: Wed, Nov 24 2010 7:13 PM

Made the registry and BIOS changes on my Win 7 64-bit Intel system to enable Microsoft's AHCI version 1.  Successfully installed.  Found out that when MS/Intel state the MS version supports only CD/DVD and hard drives that this was true.  A simple SD card inserted in my card reader hangs bootup.  After figuring this out, I noticed that when my iphone is attached and I try to wake-up from sleep mode, my PC blue screens and reboots spontaneously.  What a drag.  Talk about unpolished and half baked!  A joke.  Can someone give me a good idea whether or not there is a safe and simple way to install the latest Intel AHCI drivers (in their matrix storage manager)  that hopefully will resolve these USB drive issues.  Intel states that to use their drivers, they need to be installed at inital windows install using F6.  Any workarounds?  I do realize there probably is no significant advantages to enabling NCQ and hot swapping on a home rig, but they are the latest and greatest, right?

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
segolden replied on Sat, Nov 27 2010 12:04 AM

I just updated the process.  Remember, this is to enable Intel Matrix Storage/Rapid Storage for Intel systems which Windows is already installed using IDE drivers.  Start as suggested by many others, including Marco in this month's CPU magazine: enable the Microsoft AHCI driver in the registry, then reboot, bring up the bios, then select AHCI as your hard drive controller.  Start windows.  Download the latest version of the Intel Matrix/Rapid Storage Manager, and install it.  Now it will install--since there is AHCI hardware to be found( by enabling it in the bios).  Reboot and you'll see Windows install the new Intel AHCI drivers for your disks.  Windows will ask for 1 more reboot.  This finishes the install.  It is optional to go to the registry and disable loading of MSAHCI (change start value from 0 to 3) and enable iastorV (change the 3 to a 0).  I think this last step isn't necessary as the matrix ICH drivers are shown to be installed in Device manager and in Intel's utility anyhow.  This technique makes sense as a 2-step process (first enabling, then upgrading the driver) and negates the need to add a large number of registry entries or swap drives between native and on-board additional controllers, as has been proposed as a workaround by others.   It also corrects boot hang ups when a USB drive is in place at boot up.   I am currently testing to see it the wakeup from sleep blue screen is resolved and will post this result.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
segolden replied on Sat, Nov 27 2010 11:54 AM

Stable; boots and wakes from sleep with USB drive and iphone attached without problem.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS